Print Story Battling cosmic evil
Funny stuff
By gzt (Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 12:19:27 PM EST) gzt, productive (all tags)

Reading a handful of comments on there was amazing, but predictable. Don't read more than a handful, it's depressing.

Still reading The Virgin in the Garden. Good book.

Teh Wife found a Blackberry on the train. Fortunately, there was a number labelled "Home", so she was able to coordinate returning it. There is no possible way it would have ever gotten back to the owner through the transit system's lost and found or through the police.

I'm going to trick Teh Wife into making pico de gallo.

Looked at the calendar. That meet is the weekend before finals (and one is on Monday). I might not do it, then. Can't spare the time.

Oh! Exciting development. Get productive.

< creature of habit | All that and then some >
Battling cosmic evil | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Trying for another 50+ comment diary? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 12:29:15 PM EST
I try to avoid snark when commenting on Palin, I'm not doing nearly as well as she is, and my unwed niece baby mammas aren't doing nearly as well as Bristol.

I do get amused when Republicans and conservatives state she's a winner for 2012.

I can't decide by barooo (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 12:35:26 PM EST
Whether the slim chance that we are dumb enough to elect her makes it not a good idea to root for her in the primaries for the sheer epic win that her candidacy would be.  Surely she couldn't win a general election, right?  Outside of Alaska, maybe Texas, Utah, and parts of the South, where could she possibly win?

Then again, running for presnit is hard work, and she has a very very cushy gig as it is.  Part of me thinks she knows this and won't even run.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Based on her track record and comments by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 12:37:37 PM EST
I have a hard time imagining she'd exchange the extremely visible Alaska Governor's role for the media free White House.

Maybe if she won, she'd quit in a year when she found out it wasn't fun.

I think she'll just keep raking in the dough.

Of course she could by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 02:33:13 PM EST
Surely she couldn't win a general election, right?

Christ we elected Clinton mainly because he played a mean sax and reminded us of the cool uncle who would buy you beer if you asked.

That, and the fact that Ross Perot ran by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 04:43:02 PM EST
IIRC, Bush would have won if Perot hadn't run.

OTOH, if everyone who wanted to vote for Perot but didn't because they didn't think he had a realistic chance of winning had voted for Perot, Perot would have won.

And speaking of Perot, where were all these "It's all about the deficit, stupid" Tea Baggists back in '92 and '96?

Cicero, The Republic
was there a deficit in '96 ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 08:29:16 PM EST

Yes. by lm (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 08:42:03 PM EST
Next question.

Cicero, The Republic
Perot not running by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Sep 04, 2010 at 09:41:33 PM EST
Those claims suppose that 2/3rds of Perot voters would have voted Bush rather than Clinton or some other third party had Perot not been running.  I've always found that hard to swallow.  Since the Perot insurgency was in a sense anti-Bush, I think it's likely that a lot of those voters would have stayed home, registered a different third party protest voted, or voted Clinton.

That might actually overestimate the chances of Perot dropping out changing the election.  A quick look at the electoral college shows that over 70% of Perot voters would have to go Bush to flip the state.  For New York it's 99%!  Ohio and Pennsylvania could have easily flipped, but then for Illinois it is again like 80%.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Not really by lm (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Sep 05, 2010 at 05:39:32 PM EST
The claim that Bush would have won had Perot not run rely on exit polls in a number of key states like Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio, etc. that suggest that Bush could have carried those states.

I don't recall anyone arguing that Bush could have won New York under any circumstances.

Cicero, The Republic
I doubt very much... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 01:11:19 PM EST
...that there are enough rabid Palin supporters around here to jack up the comment counts.

She looks good in Spandex. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 02:00:39 PM EST
I'd hit it for double damage. Also, you can't make pico de gallo? How inept are you?

I can make it. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 02:07:58 PM EST
What's the point of having minions if you can't get them to do stuff? And did you read the article? She wears Spanx. It's an illusion.

She's earned the right to wear Spanx by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 02:31:07 PM EST
squeezing all those kids out.

I do suspect her allure would be less if she were photographed without them.

It's real if you can touch it. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 02:47:24 PM EST
Touchin' that heiney.

Katy Perry. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 05:02:17 PM EST
Ignore Palin.

or sara varone. by gzt (4.00 / 2) #16 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 05:32:52 PM EST
google it. ignore the palin.

why can't Bristol go away already? by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 07:22:11 PM EST
i think all she's really done is show "you too can become a media star by being a pregnant teenager!"

I generally loathe Palin's public persona by lm (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 04:45:19 PM EST
I can't speak about her as a person as I've never met her.

But pieces like the Vanity Fair hatchet job on her make me suspicious. She may very well be everything that they claim she is and worse. But an article that lopsided generally comes from folks with an axe to grind and, consequently, gives a lopsided view.

Cicero, The Republic
the author claims... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 05:01:21 PM EST
...that he wanted to write a "friendly" article, but this was the only article the facts bore out. That Palin's people wouldn't play ball with him at all guaranteed it would end up somewhat lopsided. Take the recent Newt Gingrich piece. It wasn't terribly complimentary (ex-wife input!), but Gingrich's input helped soften it, though Newt being Newt makes that a little hard.

That could very well be the case by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 05:27:36 PM EST
LIke I said, I loathe Palin's public persona. It could be the case that her real personality is indistinguishable from her public persona.

I'm just saying, that a hatchet job like the Vanity Fair article isn't necessarily good evidence for much of anything. There are no small number of uncharitable articles in the political realm where the authors claim that they wanted to write a friendly piece but that the facts at hand didn't support such efforts.

I find it unlikely that someone could be as horrible as that article makes out. But it is possible. And I'm patient. I think time will eventually reveal enough to make a good assessment as to whether Palin's character really is that bad or whether the article was one sided.

Cicero, The Republic
This is true. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Sep 03, 2010 at 05:29:42 PM EST
It's not like we have to vote tomorrow about whether Palin is a terrible person or not.

Battling cosmic evil | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback