Print Story Clumsy or random
By TheophileEscargot (Tue Sep 28, 2010 at 01:23:11 PM EST) Reading, Me, MLP (all tags)
Reading: "Everything Has Two Handles". Me. Web.

What I'm Reading
Everything Has Two Handles: The Stoic's Guide to the Art of Living Guide to some of the basic elements of stoic thought, mixed in with other philosophies, particularly Judaism but some Buddhism.

Pretty shallow but accessible, with plenty of real-life modern-day examples: the author is a therapist.

Big downside: very poor value for money. There are only 61 pages of actual content, yet it costs about £13.95 on Amazon.

Overall, not that great. Might be a useful introduction to stoicism for some.

Me
Went back to stay with parents again for a few days. More setbacks for my father. The background is he has Parkinson's and a damaged knee due to arthritis. A couple of weeks ago he fell and broke his upper arm, which combined with his other problems meant he couldn't get up from a set anymore: he had an operation to put a plate in to set the bone.

On Saturday we took him into a walk-in centre because the arm was swelling and was still hard to move. It turns out that partly because the plate acts as a kind of fulcrum and the rest of the bone moves around it, he's now snapped the same bone in a different place. He's back in hospital now. On Friday they hope to do another operation to fix the new break, but this one is more complicated and requires a special metal part that needs to be ordered.

Web
Socioeconomics. UK tax gap visualized.

Video. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. Oonce oonce. Dancing quadrotors. Fallen. Atheist choir. The censored Katy Perry on Sesame Street clip. Scroungers and hellraisers evicted from Piccadilly mansion.

Science. Inside a grant review panel. This is a news website article about a scientific paper. Rise of the mouse.

Random. Science tarot. Porcelein pistol. Comedy donor card.

Articles. Race-making and religion. Goodfellas interview. Codevilla's "ruling class" again. EU powers.

Pics. Woman logos (via). Rap names taxonomy. Britain from above.

< I hope I hope I hope. | Proposition 25 >
Clumsy or random | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Sorry to hear that about your Dad by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Sep 28, 2010 at 03:38:41 PM EST
Hope he gets it all sorted and makes his way back to health soonest.

Katy Perry seems a good fit for Sesame Street. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Sep 28, 2010 at 03:58:09 PM EST
After all, she's going to marry a muppet.

Also, did you really find the race-making article interesting? Whenever I hear an idiot conflate anti-Islam thought with racism, I tune them out. I'm just as annoyed by white muslims as I am by any other shade of them.

Also, congrats on triggering my proxy's first-ever "unable to re-direct" error message with the artfagcity URL. I wonder if my ISP is blocking that domain.

Me too. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Sep 28, 2010 at 05:18:46 PM EST
Works with other "races" too.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Yes by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 28, 2010 at 06:13:34 PM EST
Anti-islam behavior isn't really racism...it's more like anti-Semitism.

(Almost exactly like it, in fact.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Depends on the sort of anti-semitism by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Sep 28, 2010 at 08:49:23 PM EST
Throughout history there have been at least three sorts of anti-semitic thought, one that condemns ethnic Jews, one that condemns religious Jews, one that condemns both ethnic and religious Jews. Antisemitism of the middle sort is very much a part of Eastern Christianity which has long viewed contemporary Judaism as an explicit rejection of Jesus being the Christ. But were a Jew to convert religiously, without losing any of their ethnicity, they would no longer be a religious Jew. This is a different form of antisemitism than the sort that views being ethnic Jew as somehow being a lesser human being regardless of religious belief.

But, to make things even more confusing, it just so happens that (1) in the English language we generally use "Jew" to describe both ethnicity and religion and (2) there are few ethnicities outside of the Jewish people that are religiously Jewish. So both forms of antisemitism are frequently conflated. Admittedly, it is true that a fair argument could be made that Asiatic Jews, African Jews and European Jews are all really different ethnicities. Yet all these groups claim to have a common ethnic heritage as descendants of Abraham. That is to say, all claim to be ethnically Jewish.

The same isn't true for Islam. Islam has never been an ethnically based religion. Rather, from the start, it was intended to bring various ethnicities together in a union that shared ethnicity cannot provide. Turks, Malaysians, Indonesians, Chinese, Persians and Arabs that are Muslim will not claim a common ethnic heritage in the way that Jews do.

While there are some people that equate Islam with an ethnicity, usually being Arabic, I'm not convince that this view is all that widespread. There were Arabic rite Churches in the US that were firebombed after 9/11. And there was that American nutcase that shot a Coptic Christian and a Sikh seeking revence against Muslims after 9/11. But then one has to posit that being Indian, Copt, or Arabic all have a common ethnicity or that Sikhism, Coptic Christianity, and Islam all have a common religiosity in order to make the case that being anti-islamic is the same as being antisemitic.

It's almost as if some people are lazy and ignorant and actively look for ways to distinguish "us" from "them" and just kind of bullshit their way along making up reasons to hate those outside of their "tribe." In that sense, the two isms are very similar. But in that view, just about any form of bigotry falls under the same rubric. And it seems to me that falling back on that commonality doesn't really explain the full phenomena of antisemitism and antiislamism.

Cicero, The Republic
more common than you think. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Sep 28, 2010 at 09:49:08 PM EST

I see this all the time.

People talking about Indonesia being in the Arab world, or how there are no democracies in the Islamic world.

Who's claiming Indonesia is in the Arab world? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 01:35:33 AM EST
Name them, aphrael, so that I may smite them publicly. I will travel to the Bay area to make this happen.

I see it in certain quarters by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 06:44:08 PM EST
For example, I told a guy that partners with me to teach Sunday School that I was doing my MA thesis on an Arabic philosopher and he immediately equated being Arabic with being Muslim. And, given that there are a few Arabic couples at our Orthodox Christian parish, he really ought to have known better.

And I have seen it the other way around before. But usually the only context I see the words "democracies" and "Islamic world" are when people are pointing to India, Maylasia and Indonesia. But I'll certainly allow that my experiences may not be typical.

Cicero, The Republic
in particular by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 10:22:02 PM EST
That is retarded. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Sep 30, 2010 at 03:26:19 AM EST
I'm an agnostic Arab-American, raised Methodist, and I can't be the only one.

(Comment Deleted) by aggressive cyclist (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 07:26:01 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by aggressive cyclist

Sure there is; you even used it: by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 12:31:18 PM EST
"bigotry"
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
(Comment Deleted) by aggressive cyclist (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 01:45:50 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by aggressive cyclist

They evolve because people have bullshit agendae. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 05:55:33 PM EST
Watch carefully, lest they lead you to slaughter.

Article by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 01:36:31 PM EST
I thought it was accurate and interesting. Put the more recent developments into a broader historical context: I don't think I've seen another article that tried to do that.
Clumsy or random | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback