Print Story For shame, M&S
By Merekat (Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 10:36:33 AM EST) (all tags)
I observed on a recent TV ad, that M&S advocated one could purchase one's 'signature coat' in their stores.

Signature coat? Is that what used to be known as your good winter coat? How am I to trust them for good cotton knickers and high quality pork pies in the future if they use terms like 'signature coat'?

As it happens, I do have more than one winter coat. One short one for boarding, one long waterproof lined parka for when it is properly cold and one red dufflecoat for formal purposes. Yes, my idea of a formal coat could be worn by a marmalade-eating bear from deepest, darkest Peru.

Went to the dentist yesterday. Managed not to vomit at the sound and sensation of scraping. Just. Totally soaked in sweat afterwards from the mental effort of not leaping out of the chair. Then didn't sleep much at all due to dissapation of fight-or-flight supression leading to today being about 1/2 as productive as it should be and not looking any better. Therefore tomorrow will be worse.

Paging Druisan - Friday 1st, 19:00 at Le Cheval Blanc? And have you noticed their definition of Koelsch is clearly a troll?

< on getting things done | Belated culturally appropriate Yom Kippur acknowledgement >
For shame, M&S | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A good winter coat? by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 11:48:30 AM EST
I've made it through two winters in Germany with one bog-standard woollen one from Sainsbury's. It's black, though, so covers all potential occasions from clambering over miscellaneous snow piles to arriving at formal dinners.

Coats by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 12:29:13 PM EST
I prefer these.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Duffel by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 03:59:22 PM EST
Tempting, but I find the toggles hard to manage with cold fingers and have loathed coats with hoods since [REDACTED] filled mine with snow when we were six and I didn't notice till I tried to put it up over my head.

I hope [REDACTED] has nightmares over it.

oh gawd by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 06:58:08 PM EST
There's gonna be scraping at my cleaning appointment in December isn't there?

I think I may actuall hate the cleaning/exam stuff more, because well they don't give ya Novacaine for that.

Click

Do they have sedation dentistry around there? by nstenz (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 09:41:43 PM EST
 They gas you and you wake up with clean teeth. I've thought about it, but I'd rather have control of my body, just in case.

No idea by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Sep 24, 2010 at 04:28:07 AM EST
But I doubt it just for cleaning. It is insufficiently protestant.

You get M&S ads by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 24, 2010 at 05:15:25 AM EST
In Switzerland or you saw it in the UK or Ireland?

Cable! by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 24, 2010 at 05:24:54 AM EST
I get all the BBCs, all the ITVs, many french, german, austrian and italian stations.

I bet that won't work with law enforcement. by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Sep 25, 2010 at 03:29:26 AM EST

"But officer: Its my signature driving style / hip flask / spliff / offensive weapon / mode of address"

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Signature is their "posh" brand. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 30, 2010 at 11:46:02 AM EST
Better quality than other stuff they sell.

For shame, M&S | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback