Print Story on getting things done
By clock (Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:08:01 AM EST) (all tags)
been doing some stuff and things.  lots of whining in here.  you were warned.

I was going through my closet a couple of weeks back and I came across an old knife that belonged to my grandfather.  I removed the badly damaged leather handle (this thing is likely pre-WWII so who can complain about a dead handle?), cleaned up the blade, and got some bits to replace it.  More stacked leather.  I'll post some pics when it's all done.  It has brought to my attention that my shop lacks a grinder.  I will fix that with the house brand of a big box home improvement store soonish.  Hell, I'm not sharpening 10 lawn mower blades a week.  I just need something that spins.  I also made my own pocket knife.  It's a lockback with a very nice handle, if I do say so myself.  Sadly, my research has taken me down the rabbit hole and I see that I could be making my own knives with very few tools and almost no investment.  It's tempting.  I will likely make one to satisfy my curiosity (and my desire to hear my wife sigh a lot) and that will be that.

In the DIY vein, I'm also planning to make some pickles.  I'll probably hit the big farmers market in early October.  The recipe is for my grandmother's bread and butter pickles.  They're awesome and I can't wait to have some.  The recipe makes 6 quarts, so I'll be good for a while.  Pretty stoked.  I'm also stoked to try roasting some of my own coffee beans.  Green beans are way inexpensive by comparison and I can finally get all douche-y about how they're done.  These are a two food projects that I think will safely involve The Dude and can keep us amused on the weekends.  Hell, what's manlier than making knives and pickles while you roast coffee?  Not much.  Not much at all.  Oh wait!  We'll make some fucking apple butter!  Now that's hardcore, motherfucker!  I love me some apple butter.

And speaking of manly, I'm joining the herd and getting some kettle bells.  Anyone who is into that shit and want to pass a workout my way will be thanked profusely.  Or something.  I understand that it's enjoying a resurgence right now and that puts me on the edge of being trendy, but fear not!  I'm not any cooler than I was.  I need a way to work some strength training in (something beyond body weight exercises) without hitting the gym or spending some crazy amount of money for equipment that I have no place to store.  A couple of canon balls with handles fits the bill.  Now all I need is some leopard print speedos so I can look like a real circus strongman and...  Yeah.  Seriously.  I respect people too much for that.

I'm taking off half of November.  That's the first vacation since April.  Not good.  I'm starting to fray, mentally.  Coming home to a wife who looks like the walking dead (sorry punkin!) and a very active boy who can be a seriously moody fucker (wonder where he gets that) can be daunting after a very frustrating day at work (which is every day).  It really hurts to see my wife in such a rough space.  She gives herself shots in the fucking stomach every night!  And she's exhausted all the time.  But we're trying to make meals easier and that's good.  I usually cycle with the boy in tow and that entertains him and does me some good while clearing out the house for Stacky to rest.  By 8 PM, my ass is whipped.  I'm remembering to go into my studio and close the door for 30 to 60 minutes a night for the sake of my mental health.  As a result, I'll have some stuff soon.  I have things that are (over)due to my collaborators and that's moving along but it's the weird stuff that I've been doing while practicing that is kind of intriguing.  More music soon.  It's starting to cool off (gets under 80 after midnight these days!) and my productivity is going up despite the extra weight of the day.

Speaking of weight, Stacky has an appointment today to check on v2.0 and make sure that all is well.  She's feeling tickling and kicking around in her guts.  I think that's so fucking cool.  It makes everything a little more real.  Part of me is bracing for impact.  The rest of me is too busy to consider the magnitude of it all right now.  I'm a busy mofo, yo.

My mom should be coming to visit for the last two weeks of October.  This will be a very good thing.  She amuses The Dude, gives Stacky room to rest, and acts as M-i-L repellent.  Does it get better?  Well, she'll take us out to dinner a few times and that's always nice.  It just feels good to have mom around.

Also of note, for no good reason, my hormones are approaching 16 year old male levels for NO APPARENT REASON!  This isn't good for many reasons that you might be able to guess.  I'll just do some strength training and wear myself out.  Not that my dreams are helping at all.  But we'll discuss that later because it's hilarious and my time for this diary is over.

< I don't want a pickle | For shame, M&S >
on getting things done | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dremel or equivalent by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:17:47 AM EST
will set you back about $50, and you can do some grinding and sharpening on it.

Good luck with the coffee bean roasting, I usually order from Sweet Maria's in Oakland. Next up would be a proper burr grinder and not a blade one.

I've been getting nothing done in the evening, our spice rack remains unhung, and it's been weeks. School is kicking our ass, ninth grade homework specifically.

agree on dremel by gzt (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:29:50 AM EST
those things are awesome.

and, not in reply to this comment, but re: cattleballs. google "dan john" and "program minimum". what sizes do you have? the book you want is probably pavel tsatsouline's "Enter the Kettlebell".

cattleballs and 16 year old boys by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:31:25 AM EST
The rumor is Rocky Mountain Oysters can make you hormonal like a 16 year old boy.

well by clock (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:34:38 AM EST
i'm looking at getting a pair of 35 pounders.  that seems to be the most common entry level size i've seen recommended.  i've already hit those items in my searches.  good to know that i'm on the right track.  prepared to get that book as well.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

yeah, ETK is the way to go by gzt (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:51:57 AM EST
I think there's a DVD, too, which you might want. and you'll want to check out the stuff Dan John talks about w/r/t crazyballs. you'll eventually want the 24kg, but 16kg is a good start and basis for further work. This is also something where you want something in the middle range of expenses. The cheap ones will hurt your hands, the competition ones are exorbitantly priced but feel great. What you want to do is get your hands on a competition bell so you can tell what's good about how it feels and look for a cheaper one that has those features. I don't know the brands, though, so I can't really give a recommendation, I just know a bunch of crazyballers who say the same thing.

dan john on the "program minimum" by gzt (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 05:40:57 PM EST
http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/20276/ The "program minimum" is from ETK. Some of the details are explained in the book, but this is an intro. Dan John is full of win.

And if you ever do decide that, dammit, you're getting a barbell, Pavel's Power to the People is an easy way to get started (just deadlifts and presses, low space commitment, probably could do with 8'x4', just need a barbell and weights).

Are you volunteering to spot for him? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 07:26:33 PM EST
The boy ain't that big yet.

thanks! by clock (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 08:22:36 PM EST
i picked up ETK at lunch today.  getting my heavy thing first of the month.  pretty excited to get started.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

oh i have a dremel tool! by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:32:50 AM EST
i honestly can't live without it.  the day my old one died i bought a new one.  and it does wonders for certain things.  but for shaping a blade from scrap metal and other activities, a bench grinder is more appropriate.  and for $40 i can't really complain too much.

burr grinder...yeah...that's been on the list for a while.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

We finally have a manual burr grinder by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:37:20 AM EST
bought for our camping trip. It takes too long to grind the eight scoops for our morning brew, so it's reserved for power outages. But, a cheap manual coffee grinder might be just the ticket for a little boy with lots of energy.

exactly. by clock (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:39:38 AM EST
i was looking for one of a particular make and they were done with their run for the year making them harder to find.  what brand did you go with?  and how sturdy is it?  my power source for it is a bit on the oafish side.  no clue where he gets that.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

No idea, it's just the old fashioned by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:44:06 AM EST
kind, a wooden box with a funnel and a handle.

I did order a camping type one, maybe from RPI Tek or something, but it never showed up, they never respond to emails or comments, and I never got charged.

You can see it on the picnic table by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 10:48:06 AM EST

kettlebells by barooo (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 11:41:23 AM EST
are awesome.  gzt might disagree but I like them.  Just plain old swings are good, make sure to drive with your ass and try and keep your back flat and your shoulders back..  snatches and cleans and turkish getups are fun too.  Goblet squats as well, but that's not a whole lot of weight.

the 16kg one, or the pood as they say, will feel light pretty quickly.  The 32kg one is bad ass.

A fun workout is just do alternating sets of 10-15 swings and 5-10 burpees, 10-15 minutes of that is a nice conditioning workout.  Or do short (like 100m or 200m) sprints instead of burpees, or maybe pullups.

I'm sure Pavel Tsouline's Enter the Kettlebell would have all the info you could need, if you're willing to invest in a book.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Studio by ana (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 12:50:38 PM EST

I should make a point of picking up such a habit. I tend to sit down after dinner, the cat jumps up into my lap, and long after the intarwebs have ceased to amuse, I'm stroking a purring kitty, and then it's bedtime.

He probably needs it almost as much as I do, since everybody else from the household vanished a couple weeks ago. But we also need to get on with our respective lives. And there's music to learn and callouses to build and, and, and...

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

and 60 minutes a day by clock (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 01:11:27 PM EST
is a luxurious amount of time!  take it!  run with it!  make great things!  or just things!

do! Do! DO!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I'm stroking a purring kitty by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 02:14:21 PM EST
I can think of far worse ways to spend time.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

So the Dude is gonna help with coffee roasting? by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 02:15:42 PM EST
I guess he's old enough to start drinking coffee. Pickles may be a bit advanced though.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

the walking dead by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 03:43:31 PM EST
isn't quite so round.  usually.

see, this is where zombie stories get it wrong. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 06:29:10 PM EST
imagine the true retelling of 'night of the living dead', where all of the zombies are pregnant, and about to spawn ridley scott's worst nightmare right out of their bellies ...

Isn't that the Resident Evil franchise? by lm (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 06:45:57 PM EST
But then I'm kind of old school when it comes to zombies.

Cicero, The Republic
Hello my babeh by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 07:12:48 PM EST
Hello my honey,
Hello my ragtime gal!

There's roasting the real way by lm (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 06:50:20 PM EST
And then there's iRoasting

Cicero, The Republic
yeah. by clock (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 08:24:30 PM EST
i'm talking about a kettle-device with a spinner (like the stove top popcorn makers of old) and some heat.  don't need no fru-fru electromajigs for this project.  i'm trying to get away from that stuff at all costs.

...but it's pretty friggin' cool.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I use a small cast iron skillet by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 06:55:51 AM EST
and just keep stirring the beans. It does make a lot of smoke, test it outside before trying inside.

Shhhhh!!!! by clock (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 08:20:34 AM EST
the only way to do this RIGHT is with the whirly stovetop popcorn maker i've been lobbying for these past few years.  RIGHT?!?!?

that's what i thought.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Warning by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 07:53:34 PM EST
Whirly stovetop popcorn makers are not, repeat not, tested for toddler compatibility.

Not the danger to the toddler... the danger to the popcorn maker. Those cranks aren't very sturdy and don't take well to uneven pressure on the turning.

yeah by 256 (4.00 / 1) #28 Mon Sep 27, 2010 at 02:03:43 AM EST
i've been thinking about getting some kettleballs.

since i started running, i've dropped pretty close to 50 pounds, but it's weird the way i've gone from looking like a healthy chubby dude to looking like a formerly obese dude who is dying of anorexia. I need to find something to build some upper body mass to balance be out and these pushups just aren't cutting it, no matter how many i do.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I've been vaguely interested in pickling by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Sep 29, 2010 at 04:35:12 PM EST
eggs, but regular cukes and other veggies sound good too.

Roasting my own coffee is another thing...and homebrewing.

Damn, I've got to get off my lazy ass.

on getting things done | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback