Print Story Ask Husi: Cooking for Adults and Baby
Food
By duxup (Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 07:27:54 PM EST) (all tags)
Where duxup asks about cooking for baby, and adults.

Also photo of adorable baby inside.

So much to share but at the moment I only have questions for the good folk of husi.

Our 10 month old boy has recently started his fall session at the fancy daycare.  At that daycare they prepare breakfast, snacks, and lunch for the kids and allow them to feed them self at a tiny little baby table with baby chairs.  The kids love it, the baby now eats better than we do.    At home we were still sticking to baby foods (mushy stuff that comes in glass bottles and plastic containers) and I think that has caused a problem.... baby is suddenly a very fussy eater at home.  I think he wants to eat on his own.  The thing is I'm not sure what to prepare him.   Obviously not stuff that he will choke on and we've fed him bits of our food now and then (he demands it at times).

Any Husi parents have a nice list or good websites that have handy baby meal recipes?

In addition any good sites with simple recipes for mom and dad?

Daddy does most of the cooking but isn't much of a cook and with daddy working, mommy in grad school and time short when we get home as we do all we can to spend as much time with baby as possible prepping food time is short.  Mommy and daddy are getting more rest these days but our imagination for foods are short (I have maybe a small handful of things I make).
< gzt runs the voodoo down. | The latest sexual craze for high IQ individuals... >
Ask Husi: Cooking for Adults and Baby | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Bowing out by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 07:51:17 PM EST
So far, our biggest screwup as parents is in diet, our kids are very picky eaters.

Baby food. by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 07:51:59 PM EST
My kid's two favorite foods at that age where cheerios and baked sweet potato.  For the latter, just back it until mushy, then mash it up, put it in single serving containers and let it cool.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
My approach from back in those days by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 08:31:48 PM EST
Step 1 was to make my own baby food. Pretty much any vegetable or fruit boiled to mushiness and blended works fine.

Step 2 was to blend whatever we were eating for dinner to a state of slightly less mushiness than Step 1.

Step 3 was small portions of whatever we were eating.

YMMV.

Cicero, The Republic
We did that too by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 03:16:21 PM EST
We never bought baby food.  We just used cooked vegetables and a blender.

Unfortunately, we failed at step three because our son turned into a raw food fanatic.  He won't eat anything remotely like a real dish, only raw fruit/veggies/bread/milk/cheese/etc.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

whatever veggies he likes by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 10:19:39 PM EST
in small bits, cooked to mushiness. also, cheerios. you might be able to satisfy his desire to feed himself by offering cheerios along with whatever jarred stuff you give him.

as for adult foods for you, I can give you a list of simple things we cook here at our house, since we probably have only slightly more time than you. if you want some options (far from gourmet, though) PM me.
---------

Feed him by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 05:45:38 AM EST
Whatever you're eating, as long as it's not too fibrous (beef) or a choking hazard (grapes etc).

The fashionable term is "Baby led weaning", which our grandmothers would probably just call "eating dinner en famille".

I endorse this approach by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 07:42:07 AM EST
Just watch the salt content when cooking, and your good, until he's got a good set of teeth you'll need to mash/mince some of it, but by and large, feeding them (or letting them self feed) what you eat is the way to go.  You'll be surprised the stuff babies will just love to eat, in fact, the sooner you introduce real flavours and textures, the less trouble you should get from the toddler fussy eating phase.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Grad school with an infant? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 06:05:54 AM EST
No offense, but without a nanny in this equation, your wife's nuts.

Also, seedless grapes are fine if you quarter them. Hot dogs the same way.

She married me by duxup (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 09:08:43 AM EST
Insanity is a given.

____
Your kid has a full set of choppers by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 01:39:25 PM EST
Feed him whatever the hell you're eating (cut into bite-sized pieces) as long as it's not too fatty or high in salt, doesn't have bones or sharp bits, and isn't too hot. Give the kid as wide a variety of flavours as you possibly can before he gets to the stage of refusing everything but the familiar (since damned near everything will be familiar).

The puppy still has little more than hard gums at 13 months and was chomping away on tonight's stuffed chicken breast and thyme potatoes. She chowed down on the strips of pork filet over the weekend, too. As long as the nappies are still getting filled up you know you're not starving your offspring.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

what everybody else said by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 03:28:19 PM EST
also, at that age I would put The Dude in the high chair and roll him up to where I was prepping dinner.  I always explained what I was doing and why.  I think his participation in the creation of meals has had a big impact on what he'll eat or even try.

Finally, web sites:  for babies and for toddlers.  The stuff on these sites is quite delish!

also by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Sep 22, 2010 at 03:29:47 PM EST
get on the crockpot bandwagon, if you're not finding a lot of time to cook.  prep it the night before, throw in the fridge, pop in the crock pot the next morning and you're done.