Print Story Another successful fishing trip
By clover kicker (Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 11:10:30 AM EST) (all tags)
We didn't catch a thing, but had lots of fun.

Pics inside, best viewed full size.

2010-08-01 10-49-26 - IMG_7611

You can't get truly remote in East Coast Canuckistan, but by our standards we were well off the beaten path. The camp is a 45 minute drive from the nearest house. As the crow flies we weren't that far from civilization, but the terrain is rough and the roads... entertaining.

As you'd expect we saw game we couldn't take advantage of, 1 deer and 3 moose, a handful of ducks.

We ate well, everything tastes better over an open fire. Mussels steamed in butter and beer, pork loin over smoking hickory chips.

In hopes of better fishing we tried a remote stretch of river. The road was crap, and not helped by the beaver pond over one section of it. The hike was strenuous, and I'm not used to this stuff any more. The final descent to the river was a long steep clamber, 70 degrees or so.

Still no fish but the view was worth it. Rapids and cliffs and solitude and a hawk overhead.

2010-07-31 16-00-11 - IMG_7537

2010-07-31 15-41-40 - IMG_7527

We fished this spot last year, and the water was much lower this time. Only once or twice did I feel in mortal danger over the weekend, last year was frankly terrifying.

< Goodbye Hector | I will let you down. >
Another successful fishing trip | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I find your country intriguing by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 12:04:02 PM EST
and I would like to subscribe to its newsletter.

Sounds like a weekend well spent.

wait, fishing by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 12:05:06 PM EST
but no beer content , other than cooking ? And what kinda hoity-toity fishing trip is this if you're eating steamed mussels ?

well y'know by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 12:45:36 PM EST
3/4 of us are rum guys, the other gentleman prefers %regional_mass_market_beer_you've_never_heard_of%.

As for the mussels, it's not exotic food when some of us live 10 minutes away from the ocean. On the way into town today I passed one guy selling corn and beans off the back of his truck, and another one selling lobsters from the back of his cube van.

Which one? by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 04:08:58 PM EST
I've been having bad luck with the regional mass market beer since I got to your neck of the woods. I've been drinking whatever I can't get back home. So far I tried some Cracked Canoe and Moose Light. Neither have been right good.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Alpine by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 04:13:53 PM EST
Which is identical to Moosehead green label.

I won't pretend Alpine is a great beer, my buddy is one of those guys who still drinks the brand he started with back in high school.

I'm the same, when I drink beer it's generally Moosehead Dry. I'm not sure Moose Dry is a winner on its own merits, but to me it tastes like home.

Moosehead green by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 04:22:22 PM EST
is all I can get anywhere outside of NB, so I'm avoiding it. I'm trying all the other Moosehead Brewery beers I can, since it's the only local brewery I know, but not having much luck. I'll have to try the Dry before I leave.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Alexander Keith's by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 05:41:12 PM EST
Is a Nova Scotia brewery that I think has some national distribution.

Schooner is universally known as "the beer my grandfather drank", it's brewed by Keith's.

Moose Red is fairly popular, Clancy's is brewed by Moosehead, and apparently they have cold-filtered and dry ice thingies.

I read that as by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 06:53:41 PM EST
"I'll have to Dry heave."

Good diary. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 01:22:53 PM EST

Fishing's awesome. It's a large component of why I've not been posting much recently:

----