Print Story Goodbye Hector
By codemonkey uk (Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 07:48:52 AM EST) sad (all tags)
Hector, the family cat, died on Sunday.

We got him about a year ago, from a friend who was moving into a rented property that didn't allow pets.  She had got him from an animal shelter/rescue place.

We never really knew how old he was.  He seemed like an elderly cat to me.

He was the gentlest cat I've ever met.  He was amazing with the children.  He wasn't playful, this old slow thing.  He was clumsy, I'd never seen a cat fall over before, but Hector would.  He was badly damaged.  I don't know what had happened to him, but it must have been bad.  He didn't clean himself properly, like most cats do, and he didn't always make it to the litter tray in time.  But he was a good cat, quiet kind, and patient.  The kids loved him.

On Friday evening we noticed he seemed sick.  He was so weak he could hardly walk.  I think I knew then he was going to die.  On Saturday we took him to the vets.  They thought he has been poisoned, or just eaten something bad.  They kept him overnight, and treated him for toxic shock, water therapy, and gave him lung and heart medicines.  Sunday morning they thought his condition was stable, but he died Sunday afternoon.  We was always weak, and maybe to old, he just couldn't recover.

I missed him this morning.  He used to come for a stroke when I got up early for work on Monday mornings.

Goodbye Hector.

(photo)

< Notes from a small weekend | Another successful fishing trip >
Goodbye Hector | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Aww, I am sorry to hear by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 08:01:15 AM EST
Hector was a good cat.
Time to go to the shelter by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 08:18:23 AM EST
and get Hector 2.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Sorry to hear it. by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 08:27:40 AM EST
The lack of the morning cuddle is one of the hardest parts.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Our Condolences by me0w (4.00 / 4) #4 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 09:29:26 AM EST
The Ministry of Feline Affairs offers their condolences on the loss of Minister Hector. The Ministry also extends their heartfelt thanks to your family for caring for Minister Hector in his retirement years.

I'm sorry. by sugar spun (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 09:39:08 AM EST
Our cat was a cantankerous old lech, but I miss the little bastard nonetheless. I can't imagine losing a good cat.

I am sorry to hear it by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 10:28:15 AM EST
Sounds like a great cat.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Commisserations by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 10:42:52 AM EST
Two of my cats reached the end of their lifespan over the last year, and you find then how much they really are part of your family.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
RIP Hector by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 12:38:09 PM EST
Scourge of mice, despoiler of carpets, devourer of Whiskas, purveyor of soft fur to be stroked and much beloved by the codemonkey clan.

Gone, but not forgotten.

He had a great home with your family. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 12:54:00 PM EST
He sounds like he was a stray that someone caught and put in the shelter. Stray males don't tend to clean themselves.

Living life on the streets takes a major toll on a tom's life. Hector might have only been a few years old.

He was lucky to have your family. I'm sorry he's gone.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

*hug* by duxup (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 10:16:27 PM EST
n/t

____
I'm really sorry by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 13, 2010 at 07:11:41 AM EST
Cats are part of the family, it's very difficult when they go.

This seems terribly inapropriate but what is your iPhone app called again? I've just got one of said machines and want to buy it.

It'll be in memory of Hector.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Syd Sym by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 13, 2010 at 08:52:04 AM EST
Thx! /nt by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Aug 13, 2010 at 10:21:45 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Goodbye Hector | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback