Print Story on some stuff
By clock (Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 10:13:07 AM EST) (all tags)
and possibly things of a nature or kind.

More cycling with The Dude in tow.  Need I mention the heat?  I need not.  It's hot, mah bitches.  Very hot.

Last night I bailed on working in the studio for Starcraft 2 for a couple of reasons.  The first was that we shipped something this week so it feels good to take a breath.  The other was Stacky.  More on that in a minute.  But first, SC2 stuff.

I suck at this game.  A lot.  But it has pretty pictures and I can blow shit up.  It's also a lot of fun.  Whenever I can do something poorly and still have fun, I hold onto it.  So that's a definite thing it its favor.  The patch-a-day thing is old already, but the game hasn't been out for more than 10 minutes so I have no real complaints there.  What did piss me off was that I opted for the digital version.  I didn't want to go to the store (and couldn't) so I pulled it down.  After an hour of downloading, it was nowhere near done.  Worse than that, the d/l was hitting 70k max.  WTF?  OH!  I see!  You tricky fuckers added me to a P2P network and I've got 70 coming and 80 going.  Ah.  How 'bout you go fuck yourselves!  I paid money for this, so you'll give me your undivided attention while I receive your product, kay?  And I see that thing where the status went from green to yellow when I disabled P2P.  Fuck you.  You can't scare me.  Wanna sell without overhead?  Can't be done.  Suck it up and give me the 300+ down that I deserve.  Thanks.

Fuckers.

But still a good game!  And I need a little something to do from time to time.  So there ya go.

Stacky got an attack of vertigo last night and fell.  This is not cool.  I'm not sure what we'll do if she gets to the point where this is a regular thing.  The Dude is a busy guy and needs a lot of attention.  It's a lot of work for her and I don't have a plan.  We need one.  This is problematic.  Mostly I'm spending my time worrying about her and hoping that this sticks.  Sigh.

At least it's the weekend and I can hang with The Dude and give mommy a much needed rest.  Not sure what we'll do, but I will stick to the nightly cycling.  I feel better and sleep better if I drag the trailer around the block a few times.  So we'll keep that up.

Need to find a time to burn some vacation.  Really want to take a trip for some good camping.  I need to check with my brother and see if he wants to come down for a bit.  That'd be fun AND give Stacky a break.  But I don't really want to camp without her.  I really don't like being away from her in general.  Taking off without her would suck.  But it would be good for the dude.  And me.  And my brother.  We'll see.  Plenty of time to think about it.  Well, end of August anyway.

The Dude's birthday is soon.  I'm still debating a gift.  What do you get for a kid his age that doesn't need or want anything?  Good question.

I dunno.  Not much to see here.  But I'm stressed out and it feels good to type when I'm stressed.  So there you go.  Now let's get to the weekend.

< Shedyssey Part Eleven: Job Jobbed. | No Never No More >
on some stuff | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
best birthday gift ever by misslake (4.00 / 3) #1 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 10:31:32 AM EST
a large cardboard box.

at least big enough that it held a stove. fridge size even better.

cut a couple of port holes, windows, view screens, or spy holes and it's the best game ever.

Or a handgun by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 12:06:28 PM EST
It is Texas.

No no no by notafurry (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 12:10:12 PM EST
A boy's first gun should be a .22 rifle or .410 shotgun, depending on the local varmint variety.

Capes by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 12:51:51 PM EST
I'm making him a Batman cape and a Superman cape.  Maybe a Flash and Green Lantern shirt or two.

I need my mojo back first!!

and a trampoline? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 12:58:52 PM EST
To practice up, up and away?

A big first aid kit, too.

who needs a trampoline by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 03:17:24 PM EST
when you have a couch and a bed?

Blood sugar levels by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 12:01:34 PM EST
They're going to check periodically anyway, but the only vertigo thing I can think of that's a "standard pregnancy issue" is low blood sugar, aka gestational diabetes. Although balance problems and coordination aren't just standard problems, they're fully expected in pregnancy - just, you know, in the second and third trimester, not now. And if it is, it's easy to solve... well, in theory, since the solution involves regulating carb intake, something that's already an issue. But still, not a huge problem.

Of course, it could just have been tired/hungry and not something to be corrected, or it could have been a funny gravity fluctuation. That's what I blame all mine on, personally.

she had a lot of vertigo last time by clock (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 12:48:10 PM EST
it was something that came and went.  no issues with blood sugar, etc.  she's just lucky, i guess.  but we'll see.  more tests, etc next week.  until then, it's all about some rest and quiet...if i can wrangle a beast!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

what about vertigo by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 03:20:34 PM EST
due to crazy hormone levels?  that's what i had with The Dude, and i had it BAD (became too dangerous to drive!)

while this is by far the most miserable pregnancy i've had yet, the only thing symptom i'm not getting is the vertigo.  i guess that's one thing to be thankful for.

also, during 3rd trimester with The Dude i fell a lot, but it was due to my excessive weight.  my knee kept crapping out.  i needed a cane to get around.

i just really suck at being pregnant.

I can see it happening by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 08:52:37 PM EST
I never have, though. Granted all of our students and etc. are by definition low risk, low variability, having-standard-pregnancy type moms, so it might happen a lot and it's just not something we worry about because those moms aren't destined to be our clients anyway.

But sure, we talk about the effects of hormone craziness, and "minor dizziness and instability" is one of the standard effects, so if you got HORMONE IMBALANCE FROM HELL!!!, I could see it.

You know, I try not to say anything along the lines of "you suck at being pregnant". It's probably one of the things that would be frowned upon for a childbirth educator to say. But, um, yeah, so, did you know surrogacy can be relatively inexpensive?

my body is VERY sensitive to change by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 09:39:58 AM EST
When my hormone levels are even a little bit off (when I'm not pregnant) I can feel it.  Small amounts of medication go a long way with me.  Back when I went on the pill, I had to go through a dozen or so kinds before I found one that didn't have horrible side effects (the one I ended up taking for years only had mild-med side effects).  So yeah, pregnancy throws me completely out of whack.  With The Dude, I knew something was up 4 days after ovulation, and might have figured it out sooner if I hadn't worked a 24 hour DR exercise during that time.

Everybody has their talents.  Pregnancy is not one of mine.

Well, you have others by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #26 Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 01:40:35 PM EST
For example, having and taking advantage of the opportunity to get pregnant within days of a 24 hour DR exercise. Mad skillz, woman, mad skillz. ;)

I get that! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 03:18:10 PM EST
It's the crystals in the ear thing for me that causes it. I've had it three times for months at a time. It really takes some people down so I hope that's not it particularly if you have any troubles with nausea caused from the spinning feeling. Hopefully it's just growing growing pains.
*twinkle*twinkle*

It goes up the nose, by ni (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 04:46:18 PM EST
not in the ear!

For fuck's sake!

BWHAAHAHAHAHA by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 07:13:24 PM EST
 I feel SO stupid. How could I have not known that.
*twinkle*twinkle*

I suspect it must have been by ni (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 07:17:07 PM EST
because of your preternatural innocence.

the nose? by gzt (4.00 / 1) #21 Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 10:00:52 AM EST
Starcraft 2 by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 08:21:59 PM EST
Yeah, I got that too.  Took forever to install.  I've only managed 3 maps of the campaign so far.

BTW: You and Stacky like the lego games, right?  Lego Harry Potter == BEST LEGOS EVAR!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

yeah. forever was damned near 7 hours by clock (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 08:50:45 PM EST
around here.

and thanks for the tip on the legos game.  marvel alliance 2 hasn't really taken us by storm.  where is baldur's gate 3: the reckoning when you need it?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

My kid's playing Lego Indy2 for the Wii. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 10:27:28 PM EST
Would you say the gameplay of HP is better than that?

I haven't tried that one yet. by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #18 Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 12:22:19 AM EST
I've only played Lego Star Wars, and Harry Potter is better.

One part I like is you can spend a lot of time wandering around Hogworts between "levels".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

He's not a HP fan, really. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 12:41:52 AM EST
He just likes to blow shit up, so to speak. It sounds like the HP version is for the mellow gamer then.

Depends by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 12:44:45 PM EST
My son and I spend our time wandering around Hogwarts, blasting anything we can find into component Legos.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Is there an element of suspense by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #23 Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 01:00:47 PM EST
like when stormtroopers are shooting at you, or do you just Item Quest?

Well by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #24 Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 01:16:11 PM EST
It's a lego game, so it is not "hard", but there are boss fights against a dragon, a basilisk, etc.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
However by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #25 Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 01:16:37 PM EST
A lot of levels have no real enemies.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
if he truly wants nothing. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #27 Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 08:30:53 PM EST
Get him one of those inflation adjusted Bonds, I hear about.

Click