Print Story Bike Ride the second
Cycling
By anonimouse (Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 07:28:25 AM EST) (all tags)
A bad workman blames his tools...

Yesterday I said that the reason I took 23 minutes to get from work to the station was my bike, being low geared and my laptop satchel getting in the way.
The time does include locking my bike up at each end

Well today it took 30 minutes.....

Please suggest a good excuse I can use for the even longer time today....
< A pause to celebrate. | president just drop by. >
Bike Ride the second | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Pedal faster. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 07:56:35 AM EST
Does it have knobley tyres?

If it does, see about swapping them for slicks (bike tyres for the road don't need any tread pattern at all) and pump them up nice and hard.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I think by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 08:08:48 AM EST
..times will come down once my legs get accustomed to exercise again, and I get the riding position right.

The tyres have quite high levels of tread.

I still haven't gone out of the highest 4 gears out of 18....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
threads are by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 08:31:35 AM EST
half the picture. Getting them nice and hard is the rest. I find it is difficult to inflate without a gauge, so I usually inflate at a garage or petrol station (I work next to one, so I probably top up the tires every other week or so). Having properly inflated tires reduces the friction by an insane amount, so you'll just roll by all the people pedaling like crazy on next-to-flats...

-- The revolution will not be televised.
City tires by marvin (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 11:09:54 AM EST
Definitely blame it on the tires.

Typical knobbies are rated for 35-45 psi, and have huge rolling resistance. Commuter tires that fit a mountain bike are smoother, so you go faster. I like inverted tread tires like the IRC Advantage more than slicks like Fat Boys (Fat Boys = flat boys for me, as they are glass magnets), and tend to buy based on the maximum pressure a tire can take - I don't look at <55 psi.

Flat protection does become an issue as you go into semi-slicks or slick tires. The Panaracer Pasela reviews well, and has a model with a kevlar strip. I love my Mr. Tuffy tire liners and they are now mandatory on my bikes. One caveat - the tire liners add more weight and rolling resistance than something like a kevlar-lined Pasela though.

Just to state the obvious by hulver (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 08:59:11 AM EST
You are on the big ring at the front aren't you?

If you're spinning out in top gear, then you'll just have to get used to it. Improve your acceleration.

Changing gear set ups on bikes gets stupidly expensive very quickly.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Yup by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 09:37:08 AM EST
Big ring at front, small one at rear.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
How many teeth? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 10:45:09 AM EST
What are the tooth counts on the:

Big front ring
Small front ring
Largest rear sprocket
Smallest rear sprocket

Are there two or three sprockets in front?

Haven't counted by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 10:52:25 AM EST
3 sprockets on front, six gears on back for a total of 18

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
6 on the back? by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 11:07:48 AM EST
Jebus how old is it?

Probably a 14-24 tooth range on the back. 14 will be the small one, and I doubt you'll be able to get a 6 speed block with a smaller gear.

If it's not 14 at the back, then you'll be able to get a better one quite easily. 10 minutes job for a bike shop with the right tools.

Changing the front gearing might be possible, depends on what the largest and smallest rings are, and if your front dérailleur could take a larger ring.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Check on used by marvin (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 09:44:51 AM EST
A decent shop should have rear clusters kicking around in a parts bin. Maybe $20 for the rear cluster, 5 minutes of work.

(Comment Deleted) by aggressive cyclist (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 08:21:16 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by aggressive cyclist

try by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 09:58:02 AM EST