Print Story on getting it together
By clock (Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 02:23:15 PM EST) (all tags)
damn.  it's hot out there, yo.

I'm cycling again.  Of course my return to my pursuit of fitness comes at the hottest time of the year.  The past two nights have been hovering near 100F 'round our house and I've been cycling with The Dude in tow.  He weighs about 40 lbs and the trailer has got to be that heavy.  That's a lot of drag.  Not that I notice it because when it's as hot as the sun, all pain is equivalent.  Doing about 30-40 minutes at a stretch.  Camelbak 4 lyfe!  The Dude loves it.  I get stress relief.  Stacky gets a little quiet time to do whatever.  You know, lay on the couch, read, surf the intarwebz, vomit.  Whatever strikes her fancy.  Win-win-win, right?

I'm back in the studio.  My mom's visit had a lot to do with that.  I finally, Finally, FINALLY shipped off a mix to my Canukistani compatriot littlestar and I think she's pleased with the results.  Who knows, you might get to have a listen this week.  Mp3s 'cause it DID happen.  Bitches.

My mom was in town for two weeks and it was great.  The Dude was all about her.  They played games, read, and generally enjoyed one another for two solid weeks.  I've not seen my mom so pleased in years.  It was great.

Then the annoying part.  My mom retired a few years ago.  She earned it.  Some money from my deceased great aunt made it possible and I am glad she did.  She writes, my mom.  She's good at it.  She enjoys it.  But she also indulges herself in a good dose of angst over self-imposed writers block and not being able to get anything done because she simply won't sit down and do it.  My brother is a fine arts guy.  Photography and sculpture with a healthy dose of computer stuff in there.  I did my work in music composition.  We've both been through studio classes, critiques, masterclasses and plenty of criticism from our peers and ourselves.  By this point in my life, I am very selective when it comes to criticism.  Mostly, I make music for myself and my friends.  If someone doesn't like it, that's and awful shame but I certainly don't give a fuck.  My inner critic is a dick and needs to be beaten sometimes but the only thing that keeps me from doing what I do is my daily schedule and, well, heat.  So when my mom says that getting up at the crack of 8 AM and going to the gym at 9 AM and then getting home and having to make lunch or shop puts her out of her element creatively it's all I can do not to grab something and beat her with it.  Are you fucking kidding me?  As a little dose of reality, I ran down my daily schedule from wake-up at 5 AM to studio time at 8 PM and let her know that pity was not forthcoming.  Somewhere in my rant, I felt ashamed for the lack of work over June and July.  So I'm back at it.  And I think my mom will be as well.

The visit with mom was good.  She'll probably be back in October.  It was 6 months between this visit and the one prior and that's not cool.

The Dude had his 3 year check-up today.  He's in great shape.  In other news:  MY SON WILL BE THREE YEARS OLD AT THE END OF THE MONTH!!!!!!  ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!!?!?!?!?!  Wow.  Time flies.  And he's awesome.

That's about all I've got.  Let's get this week over with already so I can get some rest.  Oh...wait...there will be no rest.  OK.  That's cool.

< Still married. | Increase organic growth by exposing audiences to the brand through breakthrough viral communications >
on getting it together | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
no fargo connection by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 02:29:43 PM EST
or did I piss him off too much this last time ?

The good thing about towing a kid by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 02:38:21 PM EST
is that once you stop, it feels like a brand new unobtanium-alloyed bike.

Nine year old has got the two wheeler down, last night we both biked to the Collective Garden, it's time to get rid of the Hitchhiker.

Kids in the trailer by marvin (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 02:47:43 PM EST
Mine would encourage me by shouting "Faster, daddy, faster". I use the word loosely, as I felt encouraged in the same way as a galley oarsman, or a horse getting whipped.

Oddly, none of the kids will follow me on roads at even the same speeds they found insufficient when riding in the trailer. I think one of them expressed it thus: "It didn't feel as fast when we were down low buckled into the trailer with a windshield".

Could be worse by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 03:00:01 PM EST
Hiking yesterday. Tough hike - steep trail, lots of bare and loose rock and slate. Three year old daughter did okay; she had to be carried a short distance, but she made 7/8 of the 5+ mile hike under her own power (and the carrying was on the downhill portion.) Two year old son, on the other hand, just didn't have it in him, so he got carried about 1/3 of the total in a couple of shifts. That's my job.

Now, it's not so bad; slide my pack lower on my back, put him on my shoulders, he's comfortable and secure and doesn't really bother me too much as long as I can shift him around a bit. But at one point, heading down, my wife was up ahead about 50 yards, and I was hanging back to keep our daughter between us. Wife urged daughter to move a little faster - "c'mon, you can do it, hurry, hurry, faster, faster!"

The boy immediately started beating me on the head yelling "faster, Daddy, faster! Catch up, Dad! Faster, faster!"

If my kids have the energy to do that... by marvin (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 03:05:38 PM EST
Then I would consider that to be evidence that they have enough energy to walk on their own for a while.

Yes indeed by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 03:19:16 PM EST
As he quickly discovered, once we stopped laughing.

One of my earliest memories... by ana (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 03:09:03 PM EST
was being carried on my dad's shoulders on a hike (my parents met in the hiking club at the university). Dad fell down. I don't think I was seriously injured, but it scared the willies out of me, and imprinted the whole experience on my PTSD flash ram.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

3 years old by duxup (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 04:21:59 PM EST
Hell if you asked me when clock & co. had the kid I would have said like a year, maybe two tops ago...

I think if I met myself before the baby and heard me complain about not having time... I'd kick my own ass.

____
(Comment Deleted) by aggressive cyclist (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 04:47:00 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by aggressive cyclist

Yeah!!! by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 08:14:27 PM EST
Love it, can't wait to share it with everyone. On to the next project!
*twinkle*twinkle*

how the *&^& did that happen???? by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Aug 08, 2010 at 11:14:20 PM EST
mp3s?  All the kool kidz want flacs!

Click