Print Story Shedyssey Part Ten: Ongoing.
By Breaker (Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:18:26 PM EST) (all tags)
This is my second to last will and testament Shedyssey.

Thanks for staying with it so far.  We're nearly there, promise.

As per last diary poll I'll spin this out into two more Shedysseys; this being the first.

So, the roof's on and the walls are painted and the floor's been varnished (every single bastard fucking night for a week).

I take my shoes off before I step into the shed to prevent muck being pushed into the floorboards more than it has to.  As I kneel, and move, the floorboards graze my toe knuckles with their sharp edges.  By Tuesday my toeknuckles were actually bleeding so I had to put socks on to finish the remaining coats. SHEDHATE moment.

The varnish is strange; water based rather than the oil based I'm used to.  No wonder it was four times cheaper, but hey, it's not like the shed will have thousands of footfalls a month.

Putting socks on during a hot and humid night, whilst physically working is hard going.  For 20 square metres.

But the varnish is done, and the trimming between the walls and floor goes in quickly.  It's about half an inch square, and 2m long if you'll forgive the mixed units.  Three nails a length, single mitre cut at each corner.  Doddle, and done in less than half a day.

The seals at the roof also need doing (between roof and wall); these are tricky buggers as you have a pitched roof at two angles and a purlin that isn't guaranteed to be dead vertical.  So sometimes we get it badly wrong:

Carpentry: URDOINITRONG.

And sometimes we get it spot on.  Hmm.

Rinse and repeat for the workshop side, with similar variance in finish.

We're just racing for the finish posts here; the outside is pretty much done, the interior is unlit so far but only needs a lighting ringmain fitted and the lights hung.  I think this is about a day's work.

We don't have the light fitting in mind so far so I focus instead on tidying the garden up a bit.  There's loads of crap that needs taking to the recycling centre dump so that sucks another weekend from my grasp.  I don't have any photos of this stage but suffice it to say the back garden, if you thought it was bad before, it looks a whole lot worse.

All the junk is finally taken out, and the workshop is now filled with my preciousssss tool collection; circular saw, compound mitre powersaw, jigsaw, the masonry percussion drill, battery drills, screwdriver collection and lawnmower and so on.

About now MBW pulls out the PLAN I bought for her birthday a while back.

This is a lot of work so I invite the guy who did the foundation to quote.  He arrives on Thursday and had a job cancelled next week and only has the forfeit deposit to tide him and his boys over for that week.

His price is exceptionally competitive, comprising all labour and materials.  MBW and I give up halfway through looking up the cost of materials before we're at par with the quote.  HIRED.

His price for putting up the fence is also excellent.  HIRED.

And there we have it.  From warzone to SHED OF POWAH to pleasant backyard that we can enjoy as a family and with friends.

Still outstanding:
Silicone the windows
Install and wire lights.
Install blinds (these are still on order today)

That's it!

I must now move beyond the SHEDHATE to the SHEDLOVE.  What I need is a summer spent enjoying the shed, with barbies every night and dancing and love.

Unfortunately, now that the shed's done, I must redo the hallway.  Having nearly ten tonnes of material pulled or pushed through it has damaged the walls, and I deliberately left off sorting out the staircase until the muddy boots could be left at the door.

I had hoped to leave this until the winter months as it's indoors, but the impending arrival of MicroBreaker has MBW getting on my case to finish the bloody house sooner than a month before due date.  Which is fair enough, TBH, got a bit fraught last time around.

Hope you've enjoyed the Shedyssey; last part will be navel gazing lessons learned.

< The front runner for the most disturbing movie I've seen this year: | There was a cat that really was gone >
Shedyssey Part Ten: Ongoing. | 45 comments (45 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Your shed looks lovely!! by me0w (4.00 / 4) #1 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:25:28 PM EST
Could I move in?

TYVM. Of course you can move in! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:36:33 PM EST
Our rates are very reasonable!

But yes, it is an extra room for guests to live in if they come to stay - away from screaming babies or pestering toddlers.  We spent a couple of grand (and about a three weekends of effort) fitting ceiling and floor insulation and got double glazed glass windows so even if it's a bit nippy, it shouldn't be too bad.

So if any HuSites are likely to be in London - we finally have somewhere for you to sleep!

quite unnecessary by komet (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:51:06 PM EST
The staircase is a perfectly servicable bed.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Sweet. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:32:33 PM EST
The back yard picture looks quite nice.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

TYVM by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:43:29 PM EST
Only the decking in the pit to be done, and the planting, and sorted out the back.

The council's also doing a neighbourhood improvement program, which means the flashing at the back and front of the house gets sorted, as will the windows.

Result!  Trebles all round...

(Comment Deleted) by aggressive cyclist (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:32:39 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by aggressive cyclist

To be fair by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:41:48 PM EST
MBW is pretty frustrated she can't crack on with the hallway.  Sadly that'll involve ladders over staircases, solvent based paint stripper and solvent based plastic wood.

Probably not the best exposure at 3.5 months up the duff.

She did this last time as well!  Any excuse to get out of painting...

It's an English country garden! by komet (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:35:57 PM EST
what will you do now, if you can't find a loo?

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
... by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:40:21 PM EST
Pull down your pants and [do it in the plants|terrorise the ants], in an English Country Garden!

Hehe, took some dredging to remember those!

mother of pearl! by clock (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:54:48 PM EST
that's friggin' gorgeous!  jealousy is creeping in...along with the urge to move (that has been there for, what, 4 years now?).  in the mythical "future house" i will have to consider this.

move on to the SHEDLOVE indeed!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

TYVM! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:23:37 PM EST
Given the choice again, would I do it again?

Tough call.

That is a nice shed and yard by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 12:56:46 PM EST
it puts my garage and overgrown yard to shame.

Give it time... by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:21:33 PM EST
So I can miss out some maintenance.  It's all shiny and fresh built now; the only way is down!

sweet by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:06:08 PM EST
I'm totally sleeping in there next time I visit.

As ever by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:20:52 PM EST
You and any other visiting HuSite would be welcome!

Nice! by R343L (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:21:44 PM EST
Now if we can just get moved into our place, I can weed the garden and make the grass not look ugly ... muahahahahah!

Of course, we don't live a twenty minute walk from London Bridge.

plspstpixkthx! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:25:33 PM EST
As you go!

before/after by R343L (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:48:39 PM EST
I probably should have taken pictures of the front of the house before I started pruning and weeding. The rose bush had gotten quite insane.

Rachael

Never too late to start! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 05:54:33 PM EST
Like today for instance!

I'm going over tomorrow by R343L (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 06:22:06 PM EST
To supervise alarm installation (a financially prudent necessity in the more inexpensive neighborhoods) so I should take pictures then, shouldn't I?

LOL by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 12:53:25 AM EST
Life in the CD? K-Mart carries really cheap shotguns.

beacon hill now by R343L (2.00 / 0) #36 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 03:40:46 AM EST
But, uh, it's not really that dangerous, except to one's wallet. I've never felt physically unsafe (either in the CD or points south) -- the people that broke into our friends' house and the place we're currently at were clearly punk kids. Not even competent thieves -- yes, leave thousands of dollars of easily carried hand tools and grab an old laptop that won't sell for $200.

(Comment Deleted) by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #37 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 04:50:39 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by ammoniacal

YES! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #39 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 05:57:11 AM EST
plspstpixkthxbai!

I've realised... by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 02:07:30 PM EST
I should have taken pix as I went with the pond enlargement.

I need it to be nice and warm so enough water evaporates that I can redo the edges now the soil has settled, it's been piddling down all week though. I also need to sort out some sand, a bag of cement and something to edge it with, and get it all delivered as 12m worth of edging, a 25kg bag of cement and a quantity of sand isn't going to fit on the pushbike...

A and I are talking cargo bikes now by R343L (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 02:21:07 PM EST
One of those giant ones with a huge platform in them that you see carrying appliances and precariously stacked boxes ...

Cargo bikes? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #25 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 02:41:11 PM EST
A Swedish acquaintance posted this pic of his bike lugging a printer.

This time with pic by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 02:41:34 PM EST

~bike trailer~ by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #43 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 08:46:15 AM EST
i've used The Dude's bike trailer to haul stuff to and from the auto parts store when my car was dead.  we're never getting rid of that thing!

Dam it? by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 05:57:59 PM EST
Messy work but doable.

For the materials, hmm.  Streetvan?

Oooh.... by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 02:31:05 AM EST
We've got one of them now I see. It's still two and a half miles away, but there is one...

Hmmm, I'll have another look at signing up with them then...

You can probably by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #38 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 05:56:15 AM EST
Sling your bike in the back of the van if you're worried about leaving it near the van parking lot.

I probably would by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #41 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 09:32:10 AM EST
The van lives at the railway station which has lots of bike parking but is always full except for about a fortnight after they have a purge.

Coo again. There's a car just under a mile away from here too now. Hmmm some more...

Woooo by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:35:21 PM EST
SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!
TYVM! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 05:58:27 PM EST
I don't want to know how many big tags you went through for that font size!

Beautiful! by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:38:35 PM EST
That really looks friggin' fantastic. Well done! If I ever make it to the UK, I'm definitely coming to visit. :)
TYVM! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 05:59:13 PM EST
If you ever make it to the UK, you better come and visit!  Probably best not in winter though, unless you like sleeping on couches...

When will you by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 01:44:08 PM EST
become Arthur "Two Sheds" Breaker?
Technically speaking by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #32 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 05:59:49 PM EST
It is two sheds, sharing a common roof.  Or so I delude myself...

floorboards by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 02:10:29 PM EST
plans to sand/finish the floor, or put carpet/tile over it, or leave it roughed in ?

Floor is finished. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Aug 04, 2010 at 05:57:13 PM EST
Boards were planed nice and flat (hence the sharp edges) so no sanding required.

Varnish so it'll protect the wood, and that's it done until it needs re-coating.  Which with 7 coats on I am hoping will be about time for MicroBreaker to learn how to sand and varnish...

If DIY ever deserved a standing ovation by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #40 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 08:40:40 AM EST
Then it's now.

Outstanding. :)

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

TYVM by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #42 Thu Aug 05, 2010 at 11:40:27 AM EST
Although it was nearly Fatality, not Outstanding!

awesome!! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #44 Fri Aug 06, 2010 at 08:50:09 AM EST