Print Story Time off, of sorts.
Travel
By hulver (Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 03:59:24 PM EST) (all tags)
I've had some time off work, and I've been spending time with the kids so I've not been online as much.

It started a week last Friday. I'd taken the extra day off to go on a bike ride.

I'm part of a long distance cycling club called Audax UK. You ride your bike, and you get points. That's about it really. Most of the rides a organised events at specific times. There are other rides called "Permanents" which are routes you can ride at any time. Then there are rides called DIYs. Which are routes you make up yourself.

As long as they are of the correct distance, you can do any route you like. You just name places, and they take the shortest route between those places as the distance.

I wanted a flat ride, and due to various things about the only time I could do it was the weekend before my birthday. So I plotted out a 200km DIY route (that minimum distance was 212km) and set out to ride it early Friday morning.

I'd planned to do it that day, because the weather forecast had said it was going to be quite still.

Of course, it was really quite a strong wind. With a nice strong tailwind I did the first 66km in exactly 3 hours. It all changed after that. 66km was my turn around point, and from that moment on I was either into a headwind, or a strong cross wind.

I was going well though. I had a wide selection of BBC podcasts on my iPod to keep me entertained. Following the GPS was easy to do, all I had to do was keep turning the pedals.

I followed the GPS down the route I'd mapped out, and met this. A big gate across the road closing it off. If I'd been stupid enough to ride around the gate through the big hole in the fence I'd just have met this even bigger gate at the other end, with no hole in the fence and I'd have had to turn around anyway. So a good job I didn't do that and end up adding another 10km onto my route.

So, having added another 10km to my route I decided it must be lunch time and stopped for a sandwich.

I'm rather pleased that I got the fueling pretty much spot on this time. Forgoing all the fancy nutrition bars and gels (I took some along for emergency rations) I made do with sandwiches and snack bars. It worked well for me this time out. A mixture of Cheese sandwiches, and Peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches.

I was getting tired going through Lincoln, and ended up making a mistake while trying to take a short cut. I actually ended up having to cross the A1 and cycle on it for a bit.

I ended up back home after 14 hours and 50 minutes, with the time limit for the ride being 14 hours and 50 minutes. I'm quite proud of that though. My first 200km Audax, and I ended up cycling 236.5km (146.95 miles)

After that we all went to Alton Towers. It was OK as far as these things go, but it was very busy. We stood in queues a lot. We didn't go on the biggest rides, because D2 is too small and was a bit scared of some of them.

I'm not in any hurry to go back.

The best ride was a water ride. You sat in a boat with big water pistols on the side and went around a lake shooting water at other boats and people on the bank (who shot back at you). We got soaked, and it was great fun.

Back to work tomorrow. Boo!

< When you take a good bite, Yorkshire tastes terrible | THIS IS JUST A MORASS OF WICKEDNESS >
Time off, of sorts. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What were those gates protecting? by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 04:06:36 PM EST
It doesn't look like there's much out there. Strange as hell.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Nothing by hulver (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 04:37:34 PM EST
It was just a bit of road. Very odd.

The bit I rode down (that I shouldn't have, ignoring the dire warnings) was just a bit of road. Nothing there. There was just a big gate at the end back onto the public road again.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

interesting by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 04:46:40 PM EST
A bit of road owned by someone who doesn't like public right of way and just wanted to be arsey about it?

When I was a kid... by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 06:05:25 PM EST
the easiest way to get to school on a bicycle without going out on the 4-lane road was to cut across a government reservation (department of commerce labs, including what's now NIST and NOAA). There was a nice road there, but from time to time they'd close the gate. Apparently there's something in the common law that says if you let people use your land all the time for getting through, it becomes a public road.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Extinguishment of an by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Aug 31, 2010 at 03:58:27 AM EST
easement by prescription. The closing of that gate may be found to be a trespass against the easement, under certain conditions.

One time At Scout Camp by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 05:30:06 PM EST
We used to do night hikes.  We'd be blindfolded, put in the minivan and drive anywhere between 5 and 15 miles from camp, kicked out of the vehicle with maps, compasses and that'd be it.

We tried to take a shortcut through a "sewage farm".

Never seen a sewage farm wit 30 foot high electrified barbed wire gates, and dog patrols.

We ended up being taken back to camp by the police after hypothermia set in.

That wasn't the band camp story by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Aug 31, 2010 at 01:35:57 AM EST
I expected.   ;)

Too bad most sewage farms aren't so well protected.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

I suspect by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue Aug 31, 2010 at 05:19:04 AM EST
It wasn't a sewage farm.  The lack of sewage processing equipment was one thing, the absence of smell the other.

I should have added that winky smiley. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Aug 31, 2010 at 05:24:32 PM EST
n/t

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

D'oh! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Sep 01, 2010 at 09:38:34 AM EST
Whoosh!

I am in awe. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 04:58:53 PM EST
After my experience doing 80 miles, I can't imagine nearly doubling that distance with nothing but sandwiches to keep me company....

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
yeah by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 05:43:28 PM EST
I did 20 two weeks ago, and 15 on Saturday.  Clearly I've got a ways to go.

Click