Print Story So close you could touch it
By purr (Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 09:15:51 PM EST) (all tags)
Tonight is the closest the moon has been in hundred yours. Cool, huh?

Off to Edisto Beach. Nice beach. Now I hope the weather is nice. I need to soak up some rays. I actually brought my bikini. Maybe I can scare everyone off the beach and it all to myself, well my hubby and embarrassed kid will be there to. Reading different book by Kate MacAlister called A Girls Guide To Vampires. Later tater. Gotta look for the moon.
< It's a rich man's world! Money, money! | If your spaceship desires strength >
So close you could touch it | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Plzpstbknipixk?thnx. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 10:03:33 PM EST

iawtp by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 11:38:39 PM EST

You realize by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 10:57:48 PM EST
The moon orbits around the earth in an elliptical orbit, so every time it comes around, it's pretty much the same distance (~364.4km) and this perigee occurs every 27 days.  Also of note is that the moon appears 12% larger at perigee (the closest to earth) and apogee (further from earth).

futher more by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 11:12:29 PM EST
This uh, troll or whatever has the myth wrong.  This weekend MARS is supposed to be as large as the moon.  fail

Click
Yeah by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 11:39:25 PM EST
But I'm half way through a class on orbital mechanics, so I wanted to write.

Uh... by ana (4.00 / 2) #6 Sat Aug 28, 2010 at 07:38:25 AM EST
364 kilometers? Really? Actually a thousand times that.

Also, amusingly enough, the moon is actually near apogee this week.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Fuck, yeah by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Aug 28, 2010 at 08:22:21 AM EST
You mean the moon isn't as near as Chicago to St. Louis?

Neil Armstrong is a wuss by chuckles (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Aug 28, 2010 at 01:44:08 PM EST
I've made longer trips in my car.

So close you could touch it | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback