Print Story A short note to catering colleges
By Merekat (Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 08:12:04 AM EST) (all tags)
I find some of the fads you train people into interesting. Such as the pointless slice of orange at the side of a salad, or the obligatory decoration of paprika around the edge of a plate. Also, parsley - you know you can get it such that it actually has a flavour and function as food component? However, my overriding message is...

....STOP COVERING STUFF IN ICING SUGAR.

That is all.

< Hikes and stuff. | Attn: HuSi kitchen geniuses >
A short note to catering colleges | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by aggressive cyclist (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 08:30:51 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by aggressive cyclist

But...IT'S WRONG by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 08:33:34 AM EST

But.. it's delicious. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 09:22:18 AM EST
This thread makes me want to go to New Orleans and eat at Cafe du Monde.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Still WRONG by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 09:27:34 AM EST
If I want a dark chocolate crepe, I want a dark chocolate crepe, not one drowned in sweet powery crap that makes me cough and makes it all taste different.

Have you considered.. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 09:52:29 AM EST
..getting a beignet, instead of a dark chocolate crepe?

Vive le Montréal libre.
perhaps by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 10:02:56 AM EST
Were there likely to be one within several hundred kilometres.

you can get a beignet by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 05:54:24 PM EST
which isn't covered in powdered sugar?

i've never been able to manage that.

also: crepes are better. :)

(Comment Deleted) by aggressive cyclist (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 09:58:28 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by aggressive cyclist

YUM! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 01:24:21 PM EST
if it wouldn't make me puke for days, I'd make beignets this weekend!!

Even chocolate-filled pastries? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 09:40:46 AM EST
You're heartless.

Also, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 10:00:34 AM EST
chocolate cheesecakes should have it on top.

But if I had to give that up to make sure I never had a coulis drifted with icing sugar to scrape off the side of a desert plate again, I'd be quite happy.

(Also, as a cœliac, the idea of eating cheesecake that someone else made quite far-fetched in the first place.)

You live in 1981? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Aug 28, 2010 at 12:52:30 PM EST
Because the only way I know of to find parsley as plate deco is either deep-fried (works best with sage leaves) or as a chiffonade. In Germany Bratkartoffeln (fried sliced potatoes with onion) and Wienerschnitzel may have some chopped fresh parsley on top but it's both deco and flavour.

Avoid cooking schools which advertise on late-night TV.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?