Print Story TWO IPHONES 4??
Logic & Maths
By gzt (Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 03:11:03 PM EST) gzt, kool, the gang, spoon (all tags)
I love internal pluralization, too, dinosaur comics!

Mild angst about whether I'll be able to make it to a 300# bench press by the end of the year. Touch-and-go, not competition paused. I have long arms, a little short for my height, but objectively long.

Classes will be good, I've been drifting, too zonked out for real intellectual stimulation, but this should get me on track. Reading about elves, I suppose, is somewhat mentally stimulating, but I'm not exactly engaging in literary criticism. Nor is work particularly intellectual.

Speaking of elves and such, I'm rather annoyed that Numenor, which was swallowed up by the sea, was called "Atalante" after its fall. Seriously, guys.

I wish there were some alternative to the modern American right, something that could satisfy the plebes without being so dreadful. One almost longs for the days of Reagan.

Speaking of which, did I mention in my previous diary how amusing it is that Jerry Brown is running for governor of California? California Uber Alles! Die of organic poison gas!

I really like the new Cee-Lo song and video "Fuck You". Reminds me of a girl I once knew (not the particulars, but the sentiment). Great song. I would link, but I can't see youtube at work, so I can't tell whether I'm linking to the right thing.

IGX is down. Dammit.

I was poking around through old CDs looking for music, namely, Spoon albums, but I couldn't seem to find them. I have "Gimme Fiction" on my computer, but nothing earlier. Drat. I like Spoon. Hence my search.

"A Bad Case of the Dates" remains one of my favorite daily-ish feeds. I am so glad to be married, if only because I don't have to deal with that world. Oh, yeah, teh wife is pretty awesome, too.

Somebody's taking me to lunch as payment for some work I did for them. Awesome. A couple hours of my expert attention saved over a week of labor. It's amazing what a simple macro or whatever can do for you. Now, if he could also write a note and copy my boss...

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Friend of mine who I really haven't seen as much as I should lately is having a housewarming party this weekend BUT the mother-in-law is in town. He does say we can bring people... Well, whatevs. I'll find some other opportunity the chill with Kool and the Gang.

< I'm from the murder capital, where we murder for capital | He moves! >
TWO IPHONES 4?? | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
longing for Reagan? by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 03:34:59 PM EST
Um, no.

He implicitly evoked racism with his "Southern Strategy". Philadelphia, Mississippi is famous for two things, one was his campaign kickoff.

He had few qualms about dealing with terrorists.

On a personal level, he had few qualms about overriding states rights (drinking age in NY).

I guess on the positive side he did adjust tax rates when they were too low, no present day conservative will raise taxes, or give an estimate of what a proper tax rate is, other than "lower than today's".

RIght on by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 08:09:20 PM EST
The last thing we need is Iran/Contra 2.0.

Not to mention that most of the policy decisions I find most repugnant about the Bush '43 administration are the ones where GWB was acting mostly as Reagan's intellectual heir.

Cicero, The Republic
LOLWUT? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 09:32:33 PM EST
The "Southern Strategy" was devised while Reagan was governor of California. He had nothing to do with its creation, nor implementation, though he did reap some benefit from it many years down the road.

bench by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 06:58:17 PM EST
I'd like to be doing reps at 135 by the end of the year (sets of 10/10/fail). I should probably go to the gym more than once a week.

I was up to 130 on bench presses by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 08:13:50 PM EST
I've had to back down the weight. I'm not certain why. Of all the upper body exercises, I've found the bench press to be the easiest and the one where I keep the best form.

Then one day, it started hurting to do them. So I figured it's time to slow down a bit.

Cicero, The Republic
that is certainly doable by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 09:55:35 PM EST
even if you were starting from the bar.

Jerry Brown in California by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 07:03:20 PM EST
Awesome. It's the suede denim secret police!

Iambic Web Certified

Political party by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 08:12:09 PM EST
I'd like to see party reject the typical left/right axes and base most of its policy on natural law theory. Regretably, the name "Natural Law Party" is already taken.

Not that it really matters. We're stuck with the Dem/Rep duopoly for the foreseeable future.

Cicero, The Republic
Will never happen by dmg (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 09:08:30 PM EST
At least not in the way you mean. However what we have now kind of is the natural equilibrium - the ones that are able to exploit others on the whole are doing it. I believe the current status quo is unsustainable, for various reasons, mostly financial. The freeman movement is interesting, you might want to investigate it - check out Rob Menard....
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Freeman movement by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 09:50:38 PM EST
My web browser couldn't open that page but if its the same freeman movement that I think of when I hear "freeman movement" then it's about as far away from natural law as one can get.

As far as the status quo goes, I'll believe that it is unsustainable once it fails. Not that I think it's good, mind you. I just see no indication that it has presently reached unsustainable levels.

Cicero, The Republic