Print Story certified Afronauts, capable of funkitizing galaxies
Law
By gzt (Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 03:18:09 PM EST) gzt, waste of time (all tags)
Holy crap, this is awesome, it's too bad funk music died and now Parliament and Funkadelic are insignificant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrofuturism

Geordi is underrated! (see dinosaur comics)

Colon cleansing is a scam, too, of course. http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2004/12/mucoid-plaque-dubious-idea.html

Finally got that tuition payment thingie worked out. Basically, this is something that lets me pay tuition in four installments rather than one lump sum at the cost of a small administrative fee (which is <1%). I signed up before the deadline, but for some reason the payment of the fee didn't process, and therefore the first payment didn't get taken. I noticed this after a few days, then tried to pay the fee again, which worked, but then it wasn't clear whether things were all peachy or what and what the next steps were if things weren't okay. We got it all sorted out.

So I have one easy class where I know almost everything but have to take it to learn the stuff I don't know and one tricky class.

Squats were tough. I'm definitely near the end of this program. Did 390# last night. Hopefully will make 405# before collapsing (which should happen sometime next week or something, depending on whether I train this weekend or not). If not, whatevs.

The right wing continues to amaze me. I thought they were bad during the Bush years...

This all feels like a waste of time (work).

< I just haven't had a useful way of saying it. | Dream of Nuclear Bombs. >
certified Afronauts, capable of funkitizing galaxies | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Funk is it's own reward by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 03:39:50 PM EST
To the Rear, March! (theme from the Black Hole).

Funk is dead? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 04:37:23 PM EST
Tell that to my hyperkinetic FB amigo, Bootsy Collins. He's got a tonne of irons in the fire.

it is dead. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 04:58:02 PM EST
it was significant in the 70s, but then all the black people started doing rap. funk is, like all the other types of music requiring any sort of skill, a niche activity rather than something you can catch on the radio.

well, sort of by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 08:17:51 PM EST
Subtract from hip hop all the samples from their Funk progenitors and what do you have left?

Cicero, The Republic
nobody listens to the radio. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 02:38:07 PM EST

true. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 02:51:33 PM EST
but there aren't any "big" funk bands. nobody buys funk. people buy sufjan stevens even if he's not on the radio.

who cares about big? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 03:32:28 PM EST
good seems more important than big. big can be a detriment, ask baroo how much his Rush tickets were, vs Ben Keeler and the 500 Club($10 at Schuba's day of the show).

re colon cleansing... by dmg (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 09:32:34 PM EST
I'd urge you to retain an open mind. Many treatments were considered quackery (accupuncture is one that springs immediately to mind) but were subsequently proved to have scientific merit. Just because something seems unlikely, doesn't mean it's impossible.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Funk lives! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 07:59:48 AM EST
Here in DCia we call it "go go music" and it's big.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

with like go go dancers and stuff? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 09:41:48 AM EST
according to wikipedia, "There is generally little familiarity with go-go music outside of the D.C. Metro area, which includes the District of Columbia and the city's outlying Maryland and Northern Virginia suburbs." unfortunate.

i suppose there's a bit of a funk scene where i am. at least, a blues/jazz/fusion/etc scene that has people doing some funky things, but, well, it's not on the radio. then again, the only thing on the radio is nickelback.