Print Story stuff from
Boredom
By MillMan (Mon Aug 23, 2010 at 07:36:57 PM EST) (all tags)
the weekend

Had games day at aphrael's on Saturday. Got beat soundly in all games except for the one in which I misinterpreted the rules to my extreme advantage. So really I was 0/4 or 0/5. Good times though.

Did a 180 mile motorcycle ride yesterday. I took 580 out to Livermore then did about 80 miles of twisty roads up to Mount Hamilton and down to San Jose, and took 101 back to SF.

I was mentally and physically drained by the time I got to Mount Hamilton. The twisty roads were in rough shape in spots, and while my bike has a lot of suspension travel it's about as good as a fat 70's sedan with blown shocks, and all the bouncing was getting to me (this is a known limitation of the bike, it costs $300 to upgrade the suspension to modern standards, which I will do sometime soon). The ride home was mildly dicey as a result, although defending yourself in the fast lane is pretty easy.

I'll do similar rides over the next two weekends to prep for the ride to Seattle.

Mood is meh as usual. Demotivated at work. Ready for new challenges and to have some energy back. The massage school keeps calling me up bugging me. Clowns. They seem to be the consensus place to go, though.

I've been thinking lately that my boss is unlikely to go for my 20 hours a week idea. He's not going to want someone at 50% as I doubt the higher ups will give him funding for half a person on top of someone to replace me. But we'll see. Plans go forward either way, because this ain't livin'.

< "ionized" water is a scam | I have a headache and a tonne of stuff I want to do. >
stuff from | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wow by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 09:20:51 AM EST
 sounds like a really nice ride, except maybe for the sore ass part of having bad shocks. I look forward to one day having a "real" ride with the bike, like to a destination. Now I just get to ride around for an hour or two then go home, which is better the nothing, don't get me wrong, but I long for the freedom of just taking off on the bike to a place and then using it for transport on said expedition. I love twisty roads! We have a lot of hills and twisty roads up here too in rural land where I live. I love going through massive forest areas and how the air changes and it's like a shock of intense oxygen that you can feel like a wall as you enter and exit. I so love the driving the motorcycle, it's a great machine.
*twinkle*twinkle*

they are amazing machines by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 02:00:31 PM EST
I went over 2k miles on the ride and the more I ride it the more I am getting in tune with it. Man/machine meld is not too far away. A lot of my initial riding was less than elegant and it's only getting more fun as my skills improve.

The first half of the ride was great. The second half was an endurance test which was a challenge more than fun. Last night I had an awesome leisurely ride around the city, though (a very rare warm evening / early night in San Francisco).

We are really spoiled out here with the terrain. Desert hills, redwood forests, the ocean...

What games? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 10:11:21 AM EST

let's see by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 01:55:09 PM EST
  • The Big Idea (we didn't really decide a winner on that one, but other peeps had more cash than me at the end)
  • Game of Thrones (Jared kicked our butts - fun game but seems a bit unbalanced)
  • Some game I can't remember the name of - basically you're a nerd with certain obsessions and you have to collect items of the sort you're obsessed with (the one I "cheated" on)
  • Citadels (Lindze's friend won and she had never played before)
Err, maybe it was just four then.

I think I won Citadels the first time I played it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 02:08:37 PM EST
I might have as well by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 02:27:44 PM EST
it was either that or Dominion, although Dominion seems really unlikely for a first timer to win.

the nerd with obsessions game by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 05:58:22 PM EST
i don't recognize it. who did you play with?

i played:

big idea
dominion
careers (gotta keep the 5 year old entertained)
guillotine
small world (a vinci clone)
age of renaissance

other people played battlestar galactica and some other things i didn't notice.

it was by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 06:06:01 PM EST
Kathleen, that other woman who I hadn't met before and whose name I can't remember, and two dudes who I had not met before and whose names I can't remember either. We were playing it on the coffee table around the time the pizza showed up.

stuff from | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback