Print Story Nirvana is on the classic oldies station.
Educashun
By wiredog (Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 02:34:40 PM EST) (all tags)

A striking one (heh) is "They have never worried about a Russian missile strike on the U.S."

The original list.
"They are too young to remember the Space Shuttle Challenger blowing up."

< Storm in a teacup | Let's give old Tennessee credit for music >
Nirvana is on the classic oldies station. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
'92 by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 03:44:49 PM EST
I was just starting college in '92, halfway through my first year at the beginning of the year I guess. I can remember getting up to the dorm that year at Fort Hays State University, turning on MTV one time, and seeing Eddie Veder screaming about baby bottles and jumping backwards from a 20 foot skybox into a sea of waiting arms, and thinking something like, "What the holy fuck was that and how can I get some more?"

Podunk by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 03:47:24 PM EST
I wore my Pearl Jam t-shirt to college orientation that year.
I was a Junior that year. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 04:47:21 PM EST
After having flunked out of my first school, and done time in the Army.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Some of these are odd by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 04:32:50 PM EST
For instance, our toothpaste doesn't stand up on its cap.

My wife still has to teach cursive to her third grade class.  It's a damn waste, honestly, but it's in the rules...

Raising a seven year old, I've noticed lots of similar things.  For instance, he really still has no concept of having to see "what's on".  When we were at the in-laws, he wanted to see something and looked baffled when my father-in-law said "that might not be on, now".  For him, you turn on the TV and select what you want to watch from the menu.  (Or put a disk in.)

When I was a kid, we learned about marketing when we bought the hot new toy from the TV ad and discovered it didn't actually work.  For my son, the lesson was getting embroiled in an MMO and getting suckered to buy virtual items.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Which MMO? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 04:53:54 PM EST
Club Penguin and Webkinz are the big ones around here.

.... by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 06:33:14 PM EST
Wizard 101
Build a Bear workshop by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 07:22:33 PM EST
"Bearville" I think is what it is called.  He has purchased at least two stuffed toy animals in order to get the virtual version.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Attn: Class of 2014 by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Aug 18, 2010 at 03:19:14 AM EST

Where does he get those wonderful pics? by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Aug 18, 2010 at 08:13:43 AM EST
(yes, I can plainly see the URL on the picture)

I find some of them strangely dated already by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Aug 18, 2010 at 08:29:11 PM EST
Such as the one about computers always having CD drives. Except now many computers don't. I suspect that many members of the class of 2014 think it's a royal inconvenience to have to load software from a CD rather than downloading it.

I think I'm going to go find a rotary telephone now.

Cicero, The Republic
I'm 45 by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Aug 19, 2010 at 07:40:15 AM EST
I've never had a rotary phone, though I have used one.

Supposedly they still work on the landline network.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Well, I grew up in Ohio by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Aug 19, 2010 at 08:04:57 AM EST
Everyone had a rotary phone until I was in high school.

Cicero, The Republic
We had one until I was a teen by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Aug 20, 2010 at 01:39:57 AM EST
then we got a push-button one. Then I lived in Germany with the Bundespost's antiquated rotary-dial phones.

Cliff Clavin must have gone to that school by duxup (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Aug 18, 2010 at 10:35:26 PM EST
n/t

____
I would also add one by lm (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Aug 19, 2010 at 08:07:24 AM EST
They associate the name "Steve Austin" with the WWE rather than the OSI.

Cicero, The Republic