Print Story moderation is for the mediocre
Politics
By gzt (Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 02:25:56 PM EST) gzt, meat, geotag, peter pan (all tags)
See title.

Pilot light in the oven went out in the middle of baking a cake. Deduced later it was the fan we had put in the kitchen to disperse the heat. Ruined the cake, most likely. Not putting the fan in the kitchen anymore. Took some time to figure out how to light the thing again. Eventually figured out I had to get the match up there, then turn the oven on. Kept my eyebrows.

I'm glad the hiatus on Dinosaur Comics is over. Some of those honeymoon comics were weaksauce.

Went to a reading for a play last night that somebody we know wrote. It was okay, somewhat amusing, not really ready for production, probably not capable of being made workable. It was an adaptation of Peter Pan, a "darker" version, more violent, it was clever in the beginning but wrote itself into some corners. Prefer the original, which is plenty dark and violent and doesn't need the implied darkness hashed out explicitly. Not to say the original Peter and Wendy is perfect.

Getting home from that was unpleasant. It's 2 miles directly south of our apartment. We just missed the bus home. We should've caught a cab right then. It's a cheap ride. When we realized how long we'd been waiting for the bus (nearly half an hour!) we kicked ourselves. But, another feature we discovered just then, a thing that you can text which tells you how long until the bus comes, said the bus would be there in three minutes, so we grinned and bore it. To do next time: text the thingy immediately to find out how long until the next bus, and if it's too long, take the 2 mile cab ride. Another fun learning opportunity.

Patronal feast for our parish this weekend. Good times.

Lateral tendon for hamstrings sore on both legs. Only mild. Slightly puzzling. Only possibly culprit is the front squats on Saturday, but those pretty much leave out the hamstrings.

Kids: don't get tattoos in languages you don't speak. It's hard enough to get a tattoo in your native language and not screw it up.

Kids: a lot of your photos are geotagged. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/technology/personaltech/12basics.html?src=me&ref=general This is also why I don't like the practice some people have of taking photos of private events and posting them places. For instance: "Protecting your privacy is not just a matter of being aware and personally responsible, said Mr. Sommer, the researcher. A friend may take a geotagged photo at your house and post it."

Got first box from our CSA this weekend. Had a watermelon with a yellow interior. Which reminds me, some of the Russian varieties of watermelon sound interesting. White flesh, things like that.

It's time to go to lunch. MEAT.

< Insomnia. | Threatened for not Giving Away My Train Video? >
moderation is for the mediocre | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Privacy by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 03:26:47 PM EST
People overestimate the issue with having your address public, I think.  From Adam Savage:

“I guess it was a lack of concern because I’m not nearly famous enough to be stalked,” he said, “and if I am, I want a raise.”

For instance, I suspect that the NY Times is forgetting that anyone who owns a house already has their address as a public record.  Given that corporations have had access to this (and much more) information, and have been running wild with it for decades.

The NY Times also underestimates how much stalkers and/or burglars can work by the standard ways.  Why would I rob Adam Savage, when the more obvious method is to drive down a street in a rich neighborhood, looking for places with no activity?  It's silly, really..."person who works full time advertises that they are not home during the day!!!"

Personally, a company that caches my credit card number in a database is a far bigger threat to me than a geotagged photo that says I was at Gorden Biersch last Friday at 4.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Addendum by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 03:28:33 PM EST
I am reminded of the time that John Scalzi posted a Google maps picture of his house, bringing lots of commenters warning about his privacy loss, all of whom missed the link on his site to his contact info, including address.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
but if the joint is already cased by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 03:39:47 PM EST
you can do a better job of picking your targets.. (ie via pics you know what's inside the house)..

But, agreed, most thieves are lazy opportunists.. It's the targeted jobs you worry about, and they have the time to do it right..

picking targets by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 04:06:11 PM EST
My suspicion is that the quality of the car in the driveway tells you most of what you need to know about the resale value of the electronics inside.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
guess I'm safe! by R343L (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 06:12:00 PM EST
No car!

Though shamefully we've been borrowing one of our friends' cars lately a lot (moved this weekend and I'm a cripple right now).

Those who see my wife's car by nstenz (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 07:10:22 PM EST
will be thoroughly disappointed.

Although the old rust bucket parked behind it might do the trick.

This is true. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 03:52:00 PM EST
Though it's nice to be able to see that, hm, at this address, some guy has an iPad and it looks like he keeps it right by a window... There's also the matter of people who don't want online identities linked directly to IRL identities who, nevertheless, post pictures sometimes. We've all heard tales about people posting stuff in places and then getting harrassed IRL.

Do you frequent Gordon Biersch? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 03:56:07 PM EST
P.F. Chang's too? Mmmmmm ... Soulless corporate expense account dining FTL.

Yes by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 04:04:19 PM EST
You didn't think I paid for it (or chose it) did you?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Exactly. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 07:10:31 PM EST
What can you tell about a house that's got someone's name tagged on to it?

That it's a house with people and property in it? What? Unlike the rest of the houses in the world which are purely decoy houses?

You should be able to walk by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 03:52:14 PM EST
two miles within thirty minutes in your flat burg. Shameful.

make it 40 by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 03:55:29 PM EST
I had teh woman with me. it's a little more than 2 miles, so maybe 45 at 20min/mile. yes, the annoyance is partly that we could've just walked in the time it took us to get home.

You couldn't put her in a pocket? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 03:58:24 PM EST
Maybe rig a backpack for her, like Luke did for Yoda?

rucking with that much weight is slow by gzt (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 04:05:38 PM EST
i know standard ruck pace is 4mph, but a woman weighs much more than a pack.

it takes practice too. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 06:39:27 PM EST
with womans or with packs.

Its easier by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:43:13 AM EST
When you cut the arms and legs off to fit them into a pack

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Rules by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 04:08:24 PM EST
My general rule is to not even consider the bus unless it's > 1.5 miles.  (As in SF at least, I have a better than even chance of beating the bus if wait time is included.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
did the busstop sign tell you the stop number by garlic (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 06:40:29 PM EST
to text? I like the bus tracker in theory, but in practice I'm never going to know the stop number if the bus stop doesn't have it posted.

yes, it did. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 08:59:07 PM EST
it said, "text blah blah blah to $NUMBER for bus arrival times". and it worked.

moderation is for the mediocre | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback