Print Story foiled again.
Marriage
By gzt (Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 02:17:38 PM EST) gzt, heavy thing, home, tolkien, hobbits, baseball (all tags)
Games were more "a little bit of game with a lot of choir rehearsal" than "a little bit of choir with a lot of game". Foile again. Oh well. Tonight: baseball game in the bloody heat.

I grabbed Silmarillion on the way out the door today. I'm skipping over the parts that I think will be boring: basically all the, "Oh, fuck, not another elf," sections. Which brings me to this interesting discussion of whether Tolkien is any good: http://www.rilstone.talktalk.net/tolk.htm

Interesting article on why you should resign with no notice: http://wistechnology.com/articles/1757/ I don't quite agree, but it is definitely something to think about. I recommend giving notice, but keeping in mind that not doing so is an option.

Bloody hot. Still see some fog coming in off the lake. Jets flying overhead. Distracting.

Gotta get some work done. I'd really rather throw around heavy things and then go home tonight. Oh well.

POLL RESULTS: Looks like almost everybody on HuSi was from K5. At least, among the readers of my diaries.

< Do You Want to Play a Game? | Persied shower, monogamy with an * , touching gestures that stay with you a long time. >
foiled again. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
if ya don't want to go by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 03:44:42 PM EST
don't go, mon..

already got the ticket by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 03:46:08 PM EST
It's more a retrospective thought. I'm sure I'll at least get marginal enjoyment despite my hatred of everything living thing.

worse will be dancing tomorrow. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 04:18:44 PM EST
I don't want to. Wife doesn't want to. In retrospect. We thought it was a good idea at the time. Maybe if I trick some more people into doing it, too, it could be more enjoyable.

Notice by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 04:17:38 PM EST
For people in engineering positions especially, leaving with no notice is pretty much dousing the bridge with gasoline and lighting it.  There's far too much knowledge transfer and loose end tying that needs to happen and in many jobs, you cannot do this beforehand without making it blatantly obvious you are thinking of bailing.  (Which is bad of that job offer falls through.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I don't think I'd give 2 weeks notice. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 05:31:03 PM EST
a couple days to a week maybe, but if I'm done working here, I don't really want to stick around. Even working in a counter-cyclical company like mine, 2 weeks sounds like too much.

I think zero-notice might be a US phenomenon by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 13, 2010 at 04:09:07 AM EST
I've never had a job with less than a 4 weeks notice period. Almost always, people have to work it out. Perhaps senior managers might be put on gardening leave instead.

I guess it is a flipside of Darwinist capitalism thing.

Iambic Web Certified

Man, you picked the wronnnnng book. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 04:39:13 PM EST
It's pretty much Elves, Gods who love elves, Valuable Shit that Elves make and a handful of Uebermenschen who suck up to Elves. You will be sorely disappointed.

right, but you can pick which parts you read by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 04:56:54 PM EST
I mean, I'm reading Beren and Luthien right now. Yeah, tons of elves and elf crap, but it's not so much of the "oh fuck not another elf" type (ie, they're not droning on about Manwe and Valar and all that crap), they're busy fighting bad guys and dealing with curses and being in love. They don't go on for pages about the Oath of Feanor and what the Silmarils are made of at this point, they covered that in the earlier parts and all I need to know is the following, which is implied in the text: 1. silmarils are awesome 2. Feanor and some of his descendants swore a deadly oath to get them back. Which is really all I care to know.

Oooops, too late! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 05:08:43 PM EST
You already bear the stench of Melkor.

oh noes it's morgoth by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 05:23:54 PM EST
I don't have any objection to familiarity with the detailed mythology, I just don't find it readable.

Your linked story. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Aug 12, 2010 at 05:40:36 PM EST
The author's assertions generally match my beliefs on the matter; Tolkien's the original Dungeon Master.

classiest firing ever by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 13, 2010 at 07:34:27 AM EST
The worst one I ever saw was calling someone AT HOME and telling them not to come in, we'll mail you your stuff.

I'd always try to give 2 weeks notice, it seems the reasonable thing to do. But as the guy says I'd have my own stuff cleaned up and home before I gave notice.

X Notice by duxup (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Aug 13, 2010 at 02:21:42 PM EST
I agree notice is an option.  I think you have to play it by ear.  If there is any chance your opportunity or opportunities might be endangered by giving X notice before leaving, don't.  Companies keep you because they think it is to their advantage, you stay because of that, leaving should be just the same.

My last resignation involved a professionally written letter that was short and to the point, with the image of Beaker from Sesame Street on it looking shocked.   My boss loved it.  The HR folks wanted me out that very day, probably because I raised hell because they failed to get me health care benefits for several months after promised.  She told them she would do it, but they were such a messed up company they didn't know that she kept me on for a couple weeks more.  The HR dude who ordered me gone that day greeted me in the halls most days, he didn't know who I was.  My Bosses bosses just played willfully dumb, they wanted me around as I actually made money unlike most folks filling my role.  Had I needed to leave right away I would have done it at a drop of the hat but in that case it was worth the extra money before moving and no harm to my new opportunity.

Despite my strong disdain for that previous employer I never did anything I thought uprofessioal.  I thought they treated people like trash, but I was working there I figured I'd take the high / safe road.   I didn't want to dork other things up (like other jobs) by taking revenge or something silly like that.   Other folks who worked there didn't do the same.  It became tradition that after a long night of drinking employees leaving the company would drive back to work and pee on the building.

____