Print Story yawn
By MillMan (Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 11:29:32 PM EST) (all tags)
I'm officially boring until next year. Sorry guys.

My one month of crazy work is mostly over. I actually had time for the gym last night - first time in a month. I needed that. Now with this project it's 6-12 months of tweaking and grinding out production worthy hardware and code. Ugh.

I've been working on a full travel diary; I'm almost through New Zealand. Realistically it'll be done on the one year anniversary of my return - October 20. Given how beat I am I have to hope for occasional bursts of 2k or 3k words.

Upstairs Girl from wayyyyy back in Boston was in town last week vacationing with her friends so I took them all out for dinner at an Italian place in north beach (one of San Francisco's neighborhoods). It was good to see her (as a friend-person anyway, see below), we had a talk about non-traditional careers which was good for me to hear and we caught up on life over the past six years.

I went for the kiss after dinner but got turned down. She's a big mixed messenger so I figured eh, give it a try, 50/50 odds. Her weird combo of hands-on southern charm and fatalistic, insecure attitude had me wanting to go back to Germany where the women make a bit more sense.

I ordered the last bits of motorcycle gear and tools I needed/wanted to do a road trip to Seattle and back, which looks like it will happen Sept 21-29 (uh R343L I just moved that back a week, forgot my parents are going to be down here the weekend before). The summer is just about over and my joke existence couldn't even grind out a weekend practice camping run on the bike. Ugh. This year can't end fast enough. The trip will be good though. I look forward to a brief return of the travel buzz on day 6 or 7.

< simple man | on time >
yawn | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I can't even begin to tell you by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 11:41:34 PM EST
the things that haven't gotten done this summer. It seems to disappear every year. It's like time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping, into the future.... gah.
*twinkle*twinkle*

change is coming by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 11:45:36 PM EST
hopefully I end up lower-middle class and happy and not lower-middle class and unhappy.

err by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 12:09:29 AM EST
that was sort of in reference to me having (some) time but no energy and planning on how to change that. Even with no commitments outside of work, though, time is tough to come by.

I'll be gone the weekend of Sept. 25th, by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 12:06:36 AM EST
but I really want to see you, so maybe I'll be able to catch you at the beginning or end of your trip.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

German women make sense? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 03:16:56 AM EST

I'll buy you a beer when you come up.

well by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 12:56:01 PM EST
I think Americans in general are far more neurotic than everyone else and that makes the mating game more obfuscated than it would otherwise be.

IME by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 02:42:18 PM EST
While it's difficult to understand their thought processes (no shortage of neuroses there), they are MUCH better at communicating their wants than American girls. You don't need to be a mind-reader over there.

Don't push that trip back much later by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 12:08:45 PM EST
At least not if you're committed to travel by bicycle. The passes become unreliable for a motorcycle trip typically in late October but this year's weather has been cool and wet - some of the climate modelers, the ones that aren't drinking themselves into a stupor, are predicting an early return to fall / winter weather patterns.

Since this week and last have been more fall than summer, I don't think it's possible to say they're crazy, either.

now, now by R343L (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 12:25:39 PM EST
Obviously, September is going to be the summer we didn't have. Nothing else makes sense!

Seattle has great summers by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 12:29:06 PM EST
Last year, it was on a Thursday.

it's been the same down here by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 12:53:39 PM EST
I've been wearing my jacket in the evenings after work all summer in San Jose. The other two summers I've been here - I didn't do that once. It's crazy.

I am going by motorcycle, not bicycle. So it's mostly a matter of not freezing myself. But yeah, I'm pushing it a bit. I wanted to pull it two weeks the other direction but that's going to interfere with work stuff. I might skip the inland route on the return for the reasons you listed.

No, no by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 01:29:53 PM EST
The trouble isn't freezing yourself (or not just freezing yourself), it's that conditions in the passes are not safe for a motorcycle once the weather starts to close in. It's not like you can put chains on a motorcycle. Visibility is also an issue (more for other drivers than yourself) and the winds can get high enough to just plain knock you over.

People tend to think that just because they're on an interstate they don't have to pay attention to the weather in the mountains during the non-summer months. Those people are stupid. Our mountains eat tourists.

I understand that by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 01:43:03 PM EST
the potential for snow is why I'd avoid the inland (mountain) route on the way back - I'll check the weather reports while I'm in Seattle and decide then. On the way up, taking 1 the whole way (more or less), I'm just worried about staying warm and dry.

Mountains? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 02:38:55 PM EST
The only mountains between here and there are around Mt. Shasta, and that's two hours, tops. Hardly problematic in September.

well by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 03:43:41 PM EST
The "inland route" would be I-90 to 197/97 and south from there, and maybe even cutting over to 395 in far north CA and loop around Tahoe before heading west. I don't have altitude numbers but I think a lot of that is high enough that snow can be a concern in September.

Yeah. Tahoe might be a biatch. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 03:50:22 PM EST
It's pretty high.

And the I5 passes *can* be a bitch by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Aug 11, 2010 at 04:06:59 PM EST
But I agree that's less likely that early in the season.

yawn | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback