Print Story Now that wasn't so bad.
By dev trash (Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 04:07:04 PM EST) (all tags)
Texas job.
Root canal.
Weigh-in.
Stuff.

I've not be able to get a hold of the person calling for the job in Texas.  We seem to be doing the voice mail thing back and forth.  Looking over the job requirements, I doubt I'd be a good fit anyway, and even if on the off chance I did get hired, it'd take me more than 6 months to get up to speed on learning Java enough to be productive.  Factor in, ~$300 for air travel for an interview, and no chance of moving expenses, it's just not really an opportunity I should pursue.  The deciding factor though has to be the temporary status of the job. I'm not adverse to doing a temp job, but to move to Texas for one is kinda out there.  If it were in Philly, or Pittsburgh perhaps.  Sure I may have talked myself out of a great opportunity but I also know my skill level as well.  That said, I've got to increase the number of regional jobs I apply for, and read more carefully for jobs further out.

I had the second part of the root canal today.  It was okay.  I had Nitrous.  I would pay 200 bucks out of pocket seriously for the nitrous.  Before the Novocaine shots, and I didn't know he was shooting me up, except when he said 'this one may sting'.  The after procedure X-ray showed that the three canals are all filled and the middle one is prepped for a post.  He wants to see me at 6 months and a year to see if the tooth is healing okay.  He did warn, and I kick myself again for not getting this taken care of sooner, that there was a tooth crack and infection could start to travel up the tooth and into the jaw.  The 6 month checkup will determine if that is the case, and if the tooth needs extracted.  I'm really hoping that's not the case.  In 2 weeks or so I can get the crown placed.  I want to crown to be in place sooner than later, but I have a feeling it will be right around vacation time I'll get an appointment.

0.88 pounds weekly loss, 439 calorie deficit.  As you can see it's been a rocky road this past month.  My BMI is 32.  This is depressing, as I have to get to 220, to be just 'fat'.  I don't buy into the BMI 100% though.

A friend's laptop has a virus and he wanted me to come fix it this weekend.  But well I have that second date, so I had to pass.  This is the one thing that sucks about having friends that you never see.  I most certainly could have stayed at the 411 job and not moved out here.  I could have also taken to the UPitt job.  There is no way to look back and see what would have been better, but my gut feeling is that I'd probably be unemployed now.  Most certainly that would have been the case with the 411 job as it was a 18 month contract and I was on the down slope of that.  When I left there they were giving away so much off time it wasn't funny.  The UPitt job was also a temp deal, but with yearly renewals.  The state budget's not been nice to places like Pitt lately so who knows how that would have worked out. But moving out to where I am has hampered the search for other work.  From where I came from was not all that metro, but it did have a small IT workforce that could be tapped into.

I'm just feeling anxious about the current job, and the prospects of finding something new, something where I'm challenged but not overwhelmed.  I'm not stupid, but my programming is rusty. ( This is not the right term.  I find I enjoy debugging and finding out why things are not working and fixing them with code, than I do writing things from scratch.  Also 4 years of PHP, need I say more? )  Sometimes I even wonder if I want to program anymore.  But what else is there?

So now I shall go eat, then go shopping, buy gas, and come back to read some more of the Shorter Summa. ( Hint it has me confused because it appears that Thomas kinda glazed over some of the important things about God. ).

< that makes it two times. | I have ants in my house >
Now that wasn't so bad. | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I've not read the Shorter Summa by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 06:23:34 PM EST
But Thomas does have a habit of kind of, sort of waving his hands at something that needs in-depth treatment. He is not unique in the world of philosophy in doing this.

What does make him unique is that no matter what issue he does this in, he almost certainly has an in-depth and incisive treatment of the topic somewhere else. Sometimes, this even happens in the same work in a different section.

If you're sick of programming, go into management.

Ha!

BMI is a decent enough approximation if you're an average individual with an average build. If you're an outlier in height, activity, etc., it might not be that great of an approximation. Consider getting one of those electronic body fat measurement tools. For many people, they offer a better approximation.

Jobs: for most of us it's a numbers game. Some people are so good that they barely blink and get  job offers. Other people are so bad that they get repeatedly fired. Most of us are in the middle and if we put enough resumes out there, sooner or later we'll get a good hit.

Cicero, The Republic
Perhaps by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 08:28:35 PM EST
BMI is good for telling you you're obese.  But for tracking purposes, even though I've dropped 60 pounds, the BMI says 'still obese'.  I've thought about getting one of the fat measurement ones, but I'm doing okay with the not watching daily loss/gain.  I am a data geek and it would be nice to track some other piece of info.

Yeah it sucks being in the middle.

Click

well... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 08:51:10 PM EST
...

BMI is right in your case. You've made great progress; don't let it get you down, but it's right. You can definitely stick to it and make this work. You might not need to get down to a BMI of 25, but at ~250#, you're still obese.

Of course, I now weight 10# more than you. I could probably stand to lose some weight now, as this sure as hell isn't all quality poundage anymore. If I drop 20# I'll be looking pretty good.

And fat measurement things suck. They're imprecise and inaccurate by several percentage points, and those points make a lot of difference. You really had better stick with weight and looks.

oh I know. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 09:02:22 PM EST
I'm not so sure that I should weigh 189 pounds either ( the number that puts my BMI into 'normal')

Click
Those fat measurement things by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 09:05:07 PM EST
The last I saw them discussed on a scoop site the folks that used them said that while they tend to be off, they tend to be consistently off.

The only time I used one, it put my body fat % right where the BMI said it was.

Cicero, The Republic
that doesn't make any sense. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 09:08:48 PM EST
the BMI doesn't make any prediction of what your body fat % is.

I've seen several discussions from people who actually care about their body fat % on how easy it is for those things to fluctuate. eg, very different readings before and after a hot shower.

It's implicit by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 10:23:17 PM EST
If you have a normal body type, and get normal amounts of muscle building exercise, than a given weight will be equivalent to a given amount of fat, all to the margin of error implicit in the BMI.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
well, here's what you can say. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 07:19:03 AM EST
certain body fat % correspond to "overweight" and "obese" and certain BMIs correspond to "overweight" and "obese". for normal people, those ranges might coincide for the most part.

well, duh by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 06:14:48 AM EST
If one is going to take a measurement of any sort, the conditions under which one takes that measurement should be as close to identical as you can make it. Taking measurements before and after hot showers is a rather glaring difference.

Cicero, The Republic
yes, the conditions should by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 07:22:10 AM EST
but it suggests that there are a lot of things that can boggle it up. body fat % does not change much and techniques that alter the reading make the method problematic even if you try to control.

In realistic terms by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 10:14:39 PM EST
BMI will be accurate unless you are in the 95% percentile in what you can lift.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Interviews by ucblockhead (4.00 / 4) #8 Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 10:19:35 PM EST
  1. Get them to pay for the interview.  Then do it.
  2. Stop telling yourself that you can't get up to speed.  If you are not stupid, then you can easily get up to speed in Java in a month or two.
  3. Texas almost certainly pays more for IT than Philly.  Even if the job you start with doesn't pan out, the next one might.

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
answers by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 06:09:51 PM EST
1.  She already set out that there are no funds for flying me in for an interview, or for moving expenses. (It's a Federal job, so not sure how true or false that is.)
2.  Yes, I have confidence issues.  Not just in programming.  I'm working through those.  I had OOP classes in college (93-97) but it just seems so long ago.  Plus well PHP really has not helped.
3.  I am sure.  What I am concerned about more though is making more in real terms than I am now.  So from here to Philly would be a step in the right direction.

Click
umm by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #23 Sat Jul 10, 2010 at 08:23:23 PM EST
No, Philly pays better than Texas. That I am sure of... Some of the programmers I know with at least 5 years experience are making high 80s - low 100s.

Now, where dev trash isn't Philly.

Oh by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #24 Sat Jul 10, 2010 at 08:50:12 PM EST
All those eastern cities look alike to me.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
heh. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #25 Sat Jul 10, 2010 at 09:10:15 PM EST

Click
yeah worse than that. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #26 Sat Jul 10, 2010 at 09:10:56 PM EST
But Philly is in my radar.

Click
Not necessarily by theboz (2.00 / 0) #27 Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 02:02:15 AM EST
I make low six figures without a 4 year degree.
- - - - -
Right by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #28 Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 11:43:54 AM EST
and you've said before you've got a relatively unique, in-demand skill set.
Realistically its nothing special by theboz (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Jul 16, 2010 at 04:15:39 PM EST
I could easily teach you to do what I do, and pass a few interviews on to you, and you get good money.  The biggest problem is that most of the jobs I could get elsewhere would either have lower pay, or I would have to go back into consulting.
- - - - -
I like to learn. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Jul 16, 2010 at 06:03:35 PM EST

Click
BMI by TPD (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 07:27:03 AM EST
ignore it....

Concentrate on what  you have achieved 25 pounds is very IMPRESSIVE over quarter of a year, I bet if you were to look at photos then you would look considerably different, and in another quarter of a year if you keep this up you'll be able to do the same about now...

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
yes by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 06:02:48 PM EST
My FB avatar is the latest 'me' photo.  I put that up to remind me that holy crap I've dropped some weight.

Click
Jiggliness and waistband by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 08:21:24 AM EST
sound like good measures to use to me.

earlier diary by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 06:08:35 PM EST
I bought a new belt, that is defective, but I digress.  I bought it because the old one was basically wrapping around and around and around me.  Also pants are really baggy.

Which reminds me.  I have a wedding to attend end of the month, I really should get properly sized pants to wear.

Click

Excellent. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 08:27:33 PM EST
Sounds like a photo diary might be the way to do it.

Thinking if you do a time-lapse thing for yourself by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 08:34:13 PM EST
rather than saying you do it for public consumption, obviously. Like this kind of thing.

perhaps. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 10:33:40 PM EST
I'm generally lazy though.

Click
Eh, it's no more bother than weighing yourself. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Jul 10, 2010 at 06:29:22 PM EST
Might be more fun, too.

I agree, I'm not the best at routine, either.

heh by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Jul 10, 2010 at 06:53:03 PM EST
After I ate and got dressed this morning I realized I had forgotten to weigh myself.  So yeah.

Click