Print Story The Big Sleep makes no sense.
Sex
By gzt (Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 01:28:41 PM EST) gzt, org chart, boswell, liberalists, movies, polygamy (all tags)
The book barely makes sense, the movie makes none. I still like it a lot. I was reminded of this the other day. Story by Raymond Chandler, movie adaptation done in part by William Faulkner. I think it's the mostly poorly plotted film on common lists of top 100 films. It's well-written enough that you sort of think you know what's going on and don't quite notice how confusing it is - it's like mazes in dreams in Inception. The plot doesn't really matter.

Is polygamy bad for society? I'm opposed to polygamy, of course, but I don't think, in a world where gay marriage is legitimate, we can make a case against polygamy, at least not in the courts. Interestingly, polygamy is typically treated harsher in the law than bigamy, at least in America.

In other legal polygamy news, the polygamist leader got off.

My email tray notification still does not work. Grumble grumble. I just fiddled with the settings, I'll see if that works. Test: yes, it seems to work now. I got an e-mail informing me that certain stuff around the building will be closed temporarily because of $MOVIE filming. Bastards.

I read an article pointing out that the rise of "political correctness" was more a matter of the pervasive culture of therapy rather than the rise of liberalists. It's psychologists arguing for these silly words and policies, not liberalists. Granted, they're liberalists and the liberalists seem not to mind.

Still reading Boswell's journal. It seems he's finally gotten laid. Also got one of the Mornington Crescent books in the mail. Amusing, I think it would be more funny with proper oral delivery.

Ooh: PPT has an org charting tool. That's handy.

< Shedyssey Part Seven: The Last Day of the Band Before the Split | Trade Joe's May Avoid Right to Work States >
The Big Sleep makes no sense. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Mornington Crescent books by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 01:38:21 PM EST
Is that a strategy guide? I always get confused playing it, perhaps because I'm more of a Poisson d'Avril player.

seems a bit of a red herring by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 03:06:59 PM EST

1. Bigamy is the charge for indicted polygamists. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 04:03:45 PM EST
2. I'm gonna go way out on a branch of the Crazy Tree and suggest that an overwhelming majority of psychologists/sociologists/social workers/what-have-you are PAINFULLY liberal in conviction. I don't have numbers to back this up, though I'm equally sure that one of our butthurt liberal acquaintances will find something to rebut it, but we know the real deal.

In summary: you are way outta line, Mister.

I said... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 04:09:00 PM EST
..."Granted, they're liberalists..."

The Model Penal Code defines bigamy as a misdemeanor and polygamy as a felony.

But no state has adopted that distinction. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 04:58:28 PM EST
In fact, the MPC suggests the felony provision for when bigamy is committed "in purported pursuit of the right of plural marriage," which sounds like the committee wanted to fuck the Mormons a bit harder than other groups. Certainly not equal protection under the law and thereby patently unconstitutional.

If you're going to Wikiargue, at least read the entire article.

When bigamy is committed in that way... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 05:00:29 PM EST
...then it's "polygamy".

Polygamy is not the crime. It's a practice. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 05:15:56 PM EST
See my other comment. To illustrate how this works, a man (A) who is polygynously married to woman (B), woman (C) and woman (D) is guilty of 3 counts of Bigamy (A-B, A-C and A-D).

Also: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 05:03:15 PM EST
Polygamy doesn't mean "three or more" in a legal sense. It's a sociological term. Bigamy is polygamy in this case. Bigamy is also the name of the federal crime, regardless of the number of spouses.

I know it doesn't mean 3 or more. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 05:06:30 PM EST
I, uh, read the article. Several articles in fact.

Seem to be 2 separate issues by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 05:19:32 PM EST
Polygamy per se should not be a state issue. The only control should perhaps be that at every such marriage, the signed consent of all existing members is required and must be documented.

With respect to Jeffs however, there appear to be allegations concerning forced marriage and sex involving minors, which if true, the state should definitely be acting to prevent.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
polygamy by duxup (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Aug 01, 2010 at 04:03:53 PM EST
Provided it is between consenting adults I don't see a problem.

____
Polygamy by gmd (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 27, 2017 at 03:24:05 PM EST
It could work, but I suspect the advantages are far outweighed by the simply huge amount of drama that will inevitably ensue (assuming its a one man many women scenario). On the other hand sharing a wife netween 2 or more husbands has the potential for everyone to be satisfied. Wife gets more attention, men get more alone time to go and sit in their shed/work on open source software/drink whisky etc. It may make me seem incredibly sexist, but I think men could handle being one of many "husbands" better than women could handle being one of many "wives". Of course this assumes everyone is "straight" throw other orientations into the mix and all hell will bresk loose...

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
The Big Sleep makes no sense. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback