Print Story Attention Virginia area infidels.
By dev trash (Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 09:04:47 PM EST) (all tags)
Have any of you ventured to the south, to visit the Shenandoah National Park?  I may be going that way this weekend and I was just curious.

Plan on getting on Skyline Drive at the southern end, after visiting Staunton VA, and driving the 105 miles north til I get to a major highway.

I was worried a bit about gas, but it appears there are actual stores and stuff along the way?  Any spots I should make sure I visit?

< Massive Leaks | We interrupt the Shedyysey series... >
Attention Virginia area infidels. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Just bear in mind... by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 09:12:28 PM EST
if you stop to hike, that it's downhill away from the road. Which means if you hike til you're tired and then turn around, it's uphill all the way back to the car.

It's really pretty country, with some overlooks, so that, on a clear day, you can see a fair distance. If I recall correctly there are a few village-type places along the way. I went up there occasionally when I lived in Charlottesville in the mid-1980s.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

trails by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 09:18:20 PM EST
I did see a few 'loop' trails that are around a mile or so.  I could handle that easily.  The 'stores' I see online all seem to be owned by Aramark, so I guess even corporate America has taken to the remote National Parks.

Click
Have you been to Harpers Ferry? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 10:19:22 PM EST
Also, the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library & Museum in Staunton gave me chills.

never been to Harpers Ferry. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 10:31:44 PM EST
I did see the Wilson thing on the web.  That's a possibility.

Click
HF by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 10:35:09 PM EST
That's a bit out of the way.  If I was heading back to my apartment, it'd be a good stop, but I'm heading to central PA from southern VA.  Depends on when I get started/how late it is I suppose.

Click
You ever make it up to NE PA? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 11:40:23 PM EST
If you do, check out Shrute Farms.
It's the #1 beet-related, agri-tourism destination.

screw Scranton. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 07:20:19 PM EST
I know someone from there and he's got a way with words.

Click
Just understand by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 10:25:33 AM EST
Skyline drive is sloooooow. Expect to spend 3 hours doing that drive. The hiking is highly recommended, but don't do Old Rag unless you know what you are getting into (not extreme or anything, but not your typical hike).

Wumpus

I plan on getting up early by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 07:23:40 PM EST
If I'm on the road by 8, I'll be happy.  As long as I know where I'm heading before it gets dark I won't mind too much.

Click