Print Story We’re gonna fuck like it’s 1976.
By gzt (Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 01:29:10 PM EST) gzt, 1976 (all tags)
Quote:
Fuck all of the nuance. Fuck all of the hipster stuff about growing a beard and keeping a chicken in your backyard and eating like Gwyneth Paltrow. We’re gonna fuck like it’s 1976.
From http://www.salon.com/books/nonfiction/index.html?story=/books/feature/2010/07/24/paul_solotaroff_muscle

Interesting article. Some people might take issue with the idea that muscles are passe - what about 300? I think he's mostly right, though. The Schwarzenegger-Ferrigno-etc look is dead. Modern bodybuilders are larger and more grotesque. What you see these days is a decent amount of muscle - Brad Pitt in Fight Club or Matt Damon in the Bourne movies. Not huge, but you can tell they did some work. Nobody is impressed by anything beyond that, some are turned off. This has been noticed by others - hence "70s big" vs "90s small". Again, lots more people weight train now than in the 70s, there are a lot of muscular people, there are a lot of shirtless scenes with visible abs in movies (Twilight), but they aren't Schwarzenegger-quality muscles.

Anyway, waiting to be called to set up an appointment. Blah blah blah.

Another fun article: http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/07/24/anonymity/index.html A remark on the hypocrisy of the MSM complaining about web-loggers and their anonymity. Namely, the MSM heavily relies on anonymous sources. And one is reminded, of course, of anonymous publishing in the 18th century (eg Federalist Papers). Not confined to that era, but it's most famous in my mind.

Speaking of which: reading Boswell's journals again. After giving up on Tolkien's Lost Tales, I decided to give this a shot.

Angst and worry about work, not on my part, just general in the department. In case of musical chairs, where do people land? Because current boss is ineffective and there aren't any real boxes for us to land in. Of course, she thinks she's doing all right.

Anyway, I'd better eat lunch and get some work done.

< My Very Busy Saturday | In the room >
We’re gonna fuck like it’s 1976. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Lost Tales by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 01:39:48 PM EST
A friend of mine remarked years ago that the Silmarillion was like reading the Old Testament: lots of compelling stories taken up mid-stride and allowed to drop before you finish them, rather different from the Gospel-like tale in Lord of the Rings.

To stretch that already sketchy analogy further: Lost Tales is like scraps of the Dead Sea Scrolls, some containing bits of stories you know already, and some containing something else altogether. I don't really think it bears sitting down and reading cover to cover, unless you fancy yourself a Tolkien scholar.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Silmarillion was the backstory for LoTR by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 02:23:42 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

300 ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 02:39:11 PM EST
man, that movie was a cartoon.. sheesh.

Fuck like it's 1976 by curmudgeon (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 03:26:35 PM EST
Yeah, I wasn't getting any then, either.  At least then I had being significantly underage as an excuse.
Get over it.
My brother was born in 77 by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 05:43:10 PM EST
so apparently my parents were successful at it.
70s big? by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 06:42:57 PM EST
Like Bruce Lee?

Enter the Dragon was on over the weekend. Bruce Lee is probably the prototype for Matt Damon, etc.

Cicero, The Republic
Bruce Lee was awesome by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 08:58:09 PM EST
Didn't he die in like 73? The real 70s big era they refer to probably got going around like 75 or so, really big in 77 with the release of pumping iron.

Bruce Lee died of what by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 09:08:47 AM EST
aspirin overdose? Long term 1% body fat is probably less healthy than any 70s big plan.

Wumpus

I thought it was... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 09:38:05 AM EST
...allergic reaction to marijuana. Either way, not the way I want to go.

It was evil spirits by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jul 29, 2010 at 08:09:36 AM EST
A storm knocked his evil spirit deflector off of his house.

And then he died.

Cicero, The Republic
I'd like to fuck like it was 1976 ... by me0w (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 02:32:05 AM EST
But I was simply an unmatured ova resting in an ovary in 1976. I have no frame of reference.