Print Story Massive Leaks
Motorbikes
By gzt (Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 12:37:39 PM EST) gzt, email, lotr, odyssey, inception (all tags)
I agree with whatever journalist I read who pointed out that the sheer scale of the story (massive amount of classified information posted on wikileaks for those not paying attention) makes it almost impossible to digest and impossible to have an impact. Just like The Washington Post's recent project about security in America.

Went to a $LOCAL_BASEBALL_TEAM game on Friday with family on Friday. Terribly hot. Crowded, as it was $BIG_RIVAL. Then had German food and watched Inception.

I liked it, it's the best new film I've seen in a while. I pretty much agree with Ebert's take on it. One important thing he pointed out that I hadn't really noticed but definitely agree with is that he cared about the chase scenes. In most modern movies, they seem superfluous and boring. Blah blah car crash cut away shake camera explode explode blah blah blah. More minimalist classic chases like the one in Bullitt are much more interesting in a way. It's no Citizen Kane, of course, but it's an entertaining film that brings up a lot of things to discuss and .

Will trick Teh Wife into watching The Third Man with me. Zither music FTW.

I finished off LOTR. I was mildly surprised when I ran into, "The world is changing. I feel it in the water...". I thought that was written up for the intro in the movie. It was, however, said by Treebeard to Galadriel et al when they met at the end.

I started reading Tolkien's Lost Tales and I'm not really "feeling it". It's too dense in weird names and bare mythology. It's like how it's fine to read The Odyssey but boring to read too much straight Greek cosmogony. I much prefer feeling like, yes, there's some deep thought underpinning this literature, but I don't need to ever look at it because it's boring. Some interesting stuff, some boring stuff.

Terribly interesting article about a strand of Hinduism: http://killingthebuddha.com/mag/dogma/the-lady-twilight-part-i/

I have to get some crap done.

The little mailbox tray icon on the toolbar stopped popping up with new mail. This is annoying. Or is it? On the one hand, I shouldn't be a slave to mail, but, on the other, I just won't look at my mail if I don't have that icon and something semi-urgent could be ignored from 11am until 4:30pm, which won't do because there's no way I'm going to do much in the next half hour. I sometimes rely on e-mail to save me from boring stuff, too. I'll just have to modify my behaviors slightly.

< Shedyssey Part Six: It's all coming together! | Attention Virginia area infidels. >
Massive Leaks | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
i just took a massive leak by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 12:59:44 PM EST
How does the volume of data compare to the UK's parliament expenses? That story stretched for weeks and weeks as the press kept finding juicy new stuff.

It's hard to compare by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 02:46:47 PM EST
Do I use British Library, or London Library, when I convert from Library of Congress units?

Bodelian n/t by gpig (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 02:56:51 AM EST

(,   ,') -- eep
Impact on the general public is meaningless by marvin (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 02:33:29 PM EST
It doesn't matter if you, me, or the mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging cretins who watch Fox understand or are impacted by the story.

Those documents will matter to foreign governments and intelligence agencies. It should have more than enough impact there to keep US diplomats defecating bricks for the next few months or years.

this is true. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 03:23:09 PM EST
Though the Post series on the national security industry, which really merits some thought, will be ignored.

not by the national security industry. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 12:50:41 AM EST
i've been briefed on it multiple times.

Everyone I know in that arena by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 09:02:57 AM EST
is talking about it. Not so much about the 90k doc dumo, since we all knew it anyway.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

what's so bad about mouth-breathing? = by nathan (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 03:57:14 PM EST

Not the mouth breathing that really bothers me by marvin (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:03:45 PM EST
It's the slack jaw and the drool.

to be clear: are you stating that people who watch by nathan (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:15:46 PM EST
FOX are slavering subhuman trolls who roll in their own filth and incestuously sodomize anything they can catch?

to be clear: you stated that, actually by marvin (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:32:04 PM EST
I might have an opinion on the accuracy of your statement.

what would that opinion be? = by nathan (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:33:45 PM EST

incestuously? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:35:34 PM EST
Now, now, I'm sure some of them catch livestock, living or dead, more often than family.

what if past indiscretions mean said livestock by nathan (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:36:27 PM EST
Is close kin?

this is a good point. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 05:03:58 PM EST
I'm reminded, for some reason, of the passage in Clavell's Shogun about sex with a duck.

*goes and buys Shogun* = by nathan (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 05:15:11 PM EST

no actual duck sex by gzt (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 05:18:11 PM EST
It's offered, though.

that can only mean by nathan (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 05:19:10 PM EST
IHBT.

that section of the book is hilarious by gzt (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 06:44:25 PM EST
really, it's great.

fortunately I am sufe from duckerasty by nathan (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 06:45:06 PM EST
Not being Korean.

Meh, not so much. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 10:02:13 PM EST
Yeah, foreign intelligence agencies might glean some valuable insight from these docs, but other diplomats are certainly aware that these logs, journals and sitreps are drafted by middle management soldiers (like I did) and aren't really declarations of U.S. Foreign Policy. Any truly controversial content in the pile has already been briefed to the concerned parties. The good stuff (black opns) is not part of this breach.

$LOCAL_BASEBALL_TEAM by barooo (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 03:30:00 PM EST
I too was at that game, with my inlaws.  At the end of the 1st they basically said "screw this, it's too hot, we're finding a bar to watch from".  Teh wife and I left after 7.  It was too hot to be enjoyable. Being from the area to the west of $BIG_RIVAL, they are all rival fans.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
we were in the shade by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 03:35:22 PM EST
so that helped quite a bit. if we were in the sun, i probably would have given up, too.

(Comment Deleted) by barooo (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:31:39 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by barooo

We were about 4 rows by barooo (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:32:37 PM EST
Back from the cubs bullpen in direct sun.  Great seats, but hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sack.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt