Print Story Shedyssey Part Six: It's all coming together!
By Breaker (Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 05:40:58 AM EST) (all tags)
Sunday arrives and we stretch our tired muscles and get on with it.

It's slow going at first as lizard-like the legs and arms are already crying out for relief.  Two days hard physical labour has taken its toll on both of us, aches in places we didn't know we had places.

By today it's rapidly dawning on me that doing this all on my own would have been a complete nightmare.  Due to "the beauty of natural wood" some planks are not perfectly straight and need both of us to lean on each end and hammer them into place.

Each plank has 3 tongue and grooves so once they're in place it's battering with a club hammer that settles them down.

The second window goes in pretty easily:

As do the doors:

I was hoping to get the roof on today but it's not going to happen.  We have a partition wall and have bought an extra door to replace the right hand window.  The partition wall will keep my tools away from the main part of the shed so we won't have to worry about little fingers picking up sharp, dangerous things or opening bottles of anything poisonous.  Cutting the space out a bit wider and higher takes time though; there's a lot of wood to be cut.  But it smells great and I finally get to use my electric mitre saw that's been unused since I was given it.

Bizarrely they insist on sending us a door for the partition wall, and the window.  When I ordered it, I explained that they could keep them.  I wasn't even after a discount; I just didn't want parts that I knew I wouldn't use.

It looks like rain tonight so as we pack up we use the plastic sheeting that the shed arrived in as a makeshift roof.

This is always the part of the job that hurts the most, the putting away of the tools, the sweeping up of debris and all done with tired muscles.  It doesn't bring the job on any but it is still effort that needs to be expended.

We look from the kitchen window, sagging into our chairs and beam with pride at our days work.  I'm starting to hate the shed a little though; three days work and it's still not done.

< Proud mama moment of the day: | Massive Leaks >
Shedyssey Part Six: It's all coming together! | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 08:07:19 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Maybe by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 08:12:10 AM EST
He can have a herb garden on the shed roof...

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 08:17:33 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I'm limiting myself to one shedyssy a day by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 08:39:49 AM EST
Might up the photies to 4 though.

Herb garden by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 08:38:30 AM EST
Is down in the pit sunken garden feature.  It did take a beasting over winter though; I think I will have to just trash the lot and regrow everything.

Not enough sun by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 08:37:24 AM EST
And you can't put powertools into a basil patch and expect them not to rust.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 08:44:00 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

And the house too! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 09:45:02 AM EST
I couldn't sell my tools, though, could I?

I have shed envy. by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 08:44:53 AM EST
I do hope you've run cabling down to it, a shed of that size deserves it's own power.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
There would be no envy if _you_ were building it! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 09:40:03 AM EST
Trust me on that.

Now, bearing in mind I'm the son of an electrician, what chances do you reckon it's fully wired?

Well if yer old mans a sparkie by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 09:48:05 AM EST
Then jobs a good'un, innit.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
It was! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 09:56:36 AM EST
There will be a shedyssey solely on electrics at some point...

cat5, cat6 or fiber? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 02:01:04 PM EST

Steel wire armoured by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 06:16:58 PM EST
No way of getting network cables in to where the router is without ripping up the bamboo flooring.  Which we put down last year, just in time for MiniBreaker to arrive.

The floorboards underneath we had to fix down; in ~10x5 m there are over 1600 screws holding it down.  It no longer creaks but it sure ain't coming back up unless something's leaking.

I hate that shit by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 06:35:48 PM EST
I have old armored wire in our house, the insulation is so old it's flaking off, and it's a pain to replace without tearing out the plaster.

Bastard hard to clip up straight by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 06:40:16 PM EST
Unless you can leave it hang in the sun with weights on it.