Print Story It's July already.
Furries
By ana (Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 02:05:14 PM EST) readme (all tags)
  • toxicfur left me
  • but only temporarily
  • puppy tales
  • anniversaries
  • uh...
  • stuff.
  • things.
  • yeahthat.

So Monday morning toxicfur got in her car and drove away. 'Twas sad, even though I know she'll be back the 10th (well, presumably in the wee hours of the 11th).

We're surviving the single-head-of-zoohold lifestyle. Mostly. Tuesday night Rocky didn't want his dinner. I was cutting up raw veggies for a salad for myself, so I offered him a hunk of turnip, which he ate, followed by his dinner. Not to worry.

Wednesday morning he didn't even want to come sit while I set down his breakfast, so I put it in the usual place and went on to make my own breakfast. He wandered off and moped on the couch (where he spends about 95% of his life). I tried several times to get him to eat, but he wasn't interested. So I left a note for the dog-walker, wondering if she would notice he was lethargic or anything.

Wednesday evening, he ate half a portion with gusto, so I relaxed a bit. I'm told he wasn't begging for treats on his walk.

Thursday morning, he didn't want breakfast again. I've never seen this dog refuse to eat (the other one does it all the time), but he's not the most food-motivated dog I've seen. So maybe his tummy was upset. Or maybe it was something more ominous. The nightmare in the back of the mind is what happened to Teh Dawg, the first symptom of whose (relatively advanced) lymphoma was loss of appetite. For her it was seriously alarming when she wouldn't eat, because she was a strongly food-motivated dog.

So I called the vet when they opened, stayed home from work in the morning, and took him in late in the morning. Some poking, some prodding, one unhappy puppy who'd be happy to promise to eat anything I told him to, just to get out of there, a green rectal exam (grass clippings, aha!) and the diagnosis is an upset tummy, possibly related to the missing alpha-person in his household. They sold me a bag of bland dogfood, which two out of two dogs surveyed think smells absolutely divine.

He's eating again. I'm trying to keep him from grazing on grass clippings left by the mulching mower. And he's obviously feeling better.

/me is alarmist, but it'd be sad if I lost the puppy while toxicfur was enjoying her vacation.

30 years ago this week I got out of the navy. A friend and her husband (iGrrrl's parents, actually) were off to Europe and needed a house sitter, so after the movers took my stuff, I stayed there for a week. Including the worst sunburn of my life, on the 4th of July, on some beach south of Canaveral. I'd been admitted to grad school by the physics department in Madison, so I drove across country to visit my folks, leaving bits of my scalp scattered across the sere, 110 F, landscape of Kansas.

When I arrived (south of Denver), Mom goes, "Hey, here's somebody from out of town; we should do the tourist things we never do because we live here." So the first day (I'd driven up from sea level) we drove up Mt. Evans . When we got there, I could hardly get out of the car. Now iGrrrl's dad was a lifelong smoker who had a bad case of emphysema when I knew him. He carried a cane, not because there was anything wrong with his legs, but because, he said, people will let you sit and rest anytime you want, for as long as you want, if you have a cane. I could have used one.

Anyway, thence to Madison and a life of science. Thirty years. Woh.

By interesting coincidence, the same day I was officially separated from active duty (9 July 1980) is the day toxicfur's younger brother P was born. He now has children of his own. Happy birthday, P!

This afternoon I did my six-weekly blood tests, to monitor the needed dosage of a drug to suppress my thyroid. The phlebotomist couldn't find the usual vein. Ow. :-(  I'm expecting to find a big bruise there tomorrow.

Sporadic communications from toxicfur assure me she's having a wonderful time doing as nearly nothing as one could imagine, in North Carolina. She'll spend the long weekend and most of next week with P and his kids, one of whom is now nearly a month old (the other is 2 and a half).

I found a treasure-trove of data from 1997. It's remarkably ill-documented, but some of it seems to be just what the doctor ordered.

I'm wrestling with the book-cover generating wizard software at lulu.com. For my birthday, toxicfur made me a front cover for an old book-length character blog. I finally got that installed where the front cover should go. I thought it'd be cool to put the wordle I'd generated from the text at the top of the back cover, with a paragraph or two of text explaining what's inside. But it wants to match the height of that figure to the whole back cover, making it about 3x wider than the cover, and with huge pixels, since it's designed to be a few inches on a side. >:-(

There's an option of making your own pdf file and uploading it. Perhaps I'll try that, though I'm not that familiar with what tools to use on a mac.

Somehow there's less time available when I'm home alone. Not sure how that works. I blame inefficient time management.

Speaking of which, it's still 4 hours til the extended weekend begins. I should manage some time.

< I am the best husband ever. | Pepsi Can Chicken >
It's July already. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh, right. by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 02:22:36 PM EST
I was going to tell the story my Dad told me atop the mountain. When he was in aero engineering school in the late 40s, one of his profs was working on jet engine performance at altitude, so he mounted an engine on a truck, they drove it to the top of Mount Evans (elevation 14,000 feet and change), ran it, and took data.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I hate when they can't find my veins. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 02:29:41 PM EST
But honestly, if they get a vein in at least 3 tries, I'm happy.

I hope your bruise isn't that bad.

Making your own pdf is pretty easy, even on a mac. What program do you have your book in? Most programs have an easy 'print to pdf' option in the print window.

Hopefully that works for you.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

The text... by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 02:34:26 PM EST
I wrote in Scrivener, using LaTeX to typeset it. That went fine, once I got the magic spells updated.

Toxicfur did the artwork in some kind of a painting program; I managed to up the resolution to 300 dpi for the front cover work.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I have never used Scrivener. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 02:57:51 PM EST
But you are on a mac - which is what I use.

When you go to the 'Print' window, is there an option to 'print to pdf'? That would be the easiest way to go.

If not, then maybe there's an 'Export' options window, or even a 'Save as' option that would let you save your file as a pdf.

As for the artwork, it's just about impossible to up the resolution of any artwork. I mean, you can increase the file size, but the actual resolution of the art isn't going to really change much unless you use some fanceh program..

Once you've got the pdf of the text, take the pdf of the cover art and add it in Acrobat, or some online pdf merge site.

Do you have a pdf of the artwork?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

At the moment... by ana (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 03:02:34 PM EST
the cover artwork is a jpg, but i'm pretty sure the painting program can save as a pdf, or print as a pdf. It's a mac, after all. The wordle thing is also a pdf. So yeah, I can make a bunch of little pdf's to paste together. I'll have a look at your pdf merging site. Also I think toxicfur has a copy of acrobat (all legal and everything, through her job) on the desktop iMac.

thanks for your help!

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Acrobat will be the best way to put by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 03:05:31 PM EST
all the pdfs together. It should be pretty easy.

Then you can have funky page sizes and whatever else your heart desires. I've always gotten a kick out of pdfs with bc size stuff attached to massive size pages.

Good luck.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

you can stitch together PDFs in preview by clock (4.00 / 2) #8 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 03:26:12 PM EST
on the mac.  drag, drop, done.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

i have... by clock (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 03:02:14 PM EST
...on two occasions taken the needle from the phlebotomist's hand and done it myself.  I hate the digging sensation when they can't find the vein.  Fuck.  Just thinking about it makes me feel all oogie.  Gah!

I also hate being left alone.  I need adult supervision or I will sit on the couch and surf or play dumb games until it is far too late for any human to be up and about.  I salute your discipline and your plight!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

i was thinking by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 03:37:42 PM EST
of going to Philly for a weekend while your mom is here.  by myself.  does that count as "leaving you alone??"

not really. i guess. by clock (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 03:38:46 PM EST
i thought you'd wait until mom was gone, but if you want to go while she's here that's cool too.  either way works for me!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

i'm itchy to leave town by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 03:41:35 PM EST
did you notice my PS email this morning?  i'd be happy to drive in the car 7 hours for a probable less than stellar time.

if it were totally up to me, i'd see aobut going next weekend.

When I was a kid we had a dog who would eat by cam (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 03:38:31 PM EST
lettuce.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Rocky looooves lettuce by ana (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 03:43:21 PM EST
Or pretty much any other salad or vegetable item we give him. Carrots are his fave (and Rusti's with him on that; she hates lettuce, though, and only eats it to keep it away from Rocky, who actually likes it).

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Our Samoyed loved carrots by marvin (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Jul 02, 2010 at 04:04:28 PM EST
When I was a child, the dog would pull carrots from the garden by herself and eat them, leaving only the tops.

The first few times, my brother and I got blamed for harvesting the carrots early (as if we would do that - we knew where our mom stored cookies and other baked treats). Eventually, my mom figured it out, gave up on carrots for herself, and started to plant a row of carrots just for the dog.

I'd forgotten he said that. by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jul 07, 2010 at 12:30:31 AM EST
I remember that week, too. I stayed at a friend's house.

Huh. My parents didn't take me with them, and promised me a Junior Year Abroad instead. Never happened, sad to say. Anyway, that's the trip that yielded the story of my dad vs. the Parisian cab driver. The cab driver didn't know my father spoke French.

Gad the Pup's okay, and the zoo is maintaining.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

It's July already. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback