Print Story I said, here goes for the parson's nose
By TheophileEscargot (Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:21:01 PM EST) Reading, Museums, Watching (all tags)
Reading: "Turned Out Nice: How the British Isles will Change as the World Heats Up". Watching. Museums. Web.

What I'm Reading
Turned Out Nice: How the British Isles will Change as the World Heats Up. Science writer Marek Kohn takes a look at how the climate change will affect Britain, taking a few sample locations as examples: London, the South Downs, the Scottish Highlands for example.

According to this, we'll be relatively well-off compared with the rest of the world. Continental Europe will be hard hit, but the Atlantic will moderate the heat rise to some degree. We'll lose a bit due to flooding in winter, drought in summer; but crop cultivation in Northern Britain might even gain with warmth and more carbon dioxide.

However, this is a fairly optimistic portrayal. First, Kohn mostly assumes the mid-range of the climate change predictions, with only a little attention to scenarios like the collapse of the Gulf Stream. Second, he assumes a strong response from the authorities, with energy efficient building codes and extensive flood works. With denialism on the rise, I'm not so sure this will happen. Third, he assumes continuing economic prosperity, but if the global economy is hit hard, trade links mean we'll suffer too.

The book's pretty interesting, and seems to be thoroughly researched. I found the ideas about the future cities more interesting than the discussion of changing ecologies, but other may disagree.

Does have a couple of flaws. While there are masses of notes at the end, there are no superscripted numbers indicating what they refer to, which is a nuisance. Also his use of the present tense makes it unclear sometimes what's happening now, and what's going to happen in the future.

Overall though, an interesting and well-researched look at where we're heading.

What I'm Watching
The Damned United is an adaptation of the excellent novel by David Peace. This strips out all the elements of tragic psychological self-destruction though, and turns it into a lightweight nostalgic comedy.

The triumphalist, feelgood ending is a bit hard to take; and the motivation given to make Clough look less psychopathic is pretty weak.

Still, amusing at times.

What I'm Watching 2
Finally got around to watching 1959 French classic A Bout de Souffle, where a minor criminal tries to persuade a girl to accompany him as he flees the country. Can see how it must have been very influential with its jumpy cutting and jerky, mobile, camerawork.

Couldn't really get into it as a movie though: I'm probably not romantic enough, and insufficiently sympathetic to pretty people's formless angst.

Museums
Went to Tate Britain. In the main hall Fiona Banner has displayed two real fighter planes: a Harrier suspended from the ceiling, and a polished aluminium Jaguar upturned on the floor. Hasn't got very good reviews as art, but it's a great spectacle to see: the Jaguar is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in an art gallery in ages.

Was mainly there to see the Rude Britannia: British Comic Art exhibition though. That's another very good one. The different rooms have been curated by Gerald Scarfe, Steve Bell, "the cartoonists from Viz", Sarah Lucas and so on. You get a very good tour, from the familiar satirical cartoons of the Seventeenth Century on to a hideous Spitting Image Margaret Thatcher. Worth seeing.

Site
What did happen to Herring and BlueOregon?

Web
Socioeconomics. The strange economics of cable TV. Risk panic: when markets crash for no apparent reason. Ashley Mears, a model turned sociologist, explains Contrasting Aesthetics for "High End" and "Commercial" Models

Politics. Methadone to be limited. NHS changes and the deficit.

Pics. Space Project (via)

Video. Taiwan news on the iPhone antenna saga. Viral ad: balloon sucked through Dyson fans.

< grumble grumble | Attention Currently in Austin INFIDELS!!!! >
I said, here goes for the parson's nose | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:34:24 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Their behaviour was not logical by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:44:10 PM EST
Well, Kohn isn't totally optimistic. He reckons travel will be much more expensive, we'll have to live closer together, wildlife will be affected, it will be harder to get access to what countryside remains, and so on.
Speaking as a "denialist" by dmg (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 04:34:58 PM EST
I wonder whether he's trying to carve a name for himself as The Scientist Who Says We Are Going To Be Allright.

I think we are going to be alright. So it might warm up a bit, or cool down. Humans can deal with a wide range of temperatures. There might be flooding, but that's ok. The bottom line is that however things change, on the whole humans will adapt. And if they don't - well that's just evolution in action. I'm far more concerned about armageddon induced by nuclear war, than I am about climate change. And I'm not really that concerned about nuclear war truth be told. I've lived through enough politically motivated scaremongering in my life to know when I am being lied to, or at least, when to exercise my critical thinking skills.

I realise that my controversial opinion may be considered to be 'trolling' by those of a more rabid authoritarian-left political bent, however I would point out that historically, the majority opinion has not always matched the scientific reality, and as such, this post does not break my new year's resolution.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Okay, this is going to sound weird. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 09:56:37 AM EST
I had a BO origin-story dream. I think it was because I was reading Tolkien, which leads me to think of Old English and Old Norse, which leads me to think of German...

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 11:00:10 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

at least 4500 words. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 11:54:11 AM EST
At least.

BO rated me not too long ago. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:43:33 PM EST
It was about the time for Spring/Summer break. I'd guess he's been busy with school, maybe jail.

Climate change by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 03:22:52 PM EST
Anyone who predicts how temperature increases will change climate in any detail vastly overestimates our understanding of climate.  Climate is a chaotic system.  We're poking the spinning top and we really have no idea where it will fall.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
WIPO: Model turned sociologist by Scrymarch (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 10:25:25 PM EST

Iambic Web Certified

Dr. Mears: by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 11:29:06 AM EST
Smart. Hot. Sane. Pick two.

Racism in fashion by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 11:33:53 AM EST
RE the "contrasting aesthetics" article.  The race issue is still a huge problem in modeling, even commercial modeling, despite the author protesting otherwise, specifically - amongst the screenshots supposedly highlighting diversity, do you see even one dark skinned African ethnic model?  Nope, not one.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Fashion by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 09:40:12 PM EST
The "fashion industry" should just die.  It has pretty much no relevance to clothing actual women.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I read the fashion rags every month. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 01:28:12 AM EST
I'm mostly looking for titties, but across the European and American issues, you are more likely now to see dark-complected African models in print, male and female, than your average light-skinned black person. Maybe that's indicative of an entirely different problem, but that's what's going on in print. Finally, I hate myself for being aware of this tripe.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 11:02:05 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Hold on... by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 12:06:50 PM EST
Is it racist to accuse a race of being racist?

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 01:17:19 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Turned Out Nice sounds really good by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 05:57:54 PM EST
Think I'll buy it.

The Damned United movie is much better second time around when you know what to expect. It's a pretty accurate reading of Clough, maybe more so than the book. The book is still 100 times better though.

I loved A Bout de Souffle when I saw it at art college as an 18 year old ponce, enough for it to be my favourite film for many years. We had it well explained to us by a tutor - how the hand-held camerawork was a peculiarly French way of being influenced by the Hollywood movies of the time, trying to catch their immediacy and impact. I remember it being fast, short and dynamic, in which it compared favourably to the other stuff we had to sit through. And yeah, really romantic as well which I'm sucker for (I like Twilight for fuck's sake).

I really should watch it again, but suspect it might ruin my memory of the film and that time in my life...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

herring and blueoregon by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 08:33:36 PM EST
i talk to both of them almost every day i'm online. :)
Economics by duxup (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Jul 23, 2010 at 03:30:36 PM EST
I wish I understood some of those more in depth economics papers.  Or maybe I'd rather not know...

On the other hand I'm not sure I buy into the current layout of the TV market.  I'm no numbers expert but I don't see the value in paying extra for advanced packages for a whole pile of channels / features I don't want to get a couple of channels.  I just don't see some magic value coming from that over paying for what I want, like most everything else I buy...

____
re: husi users missing by garlic (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Jul 27, 2010 at 10:49:10 AM EST
where's evil-code_monkey been?