Print Story grumble grumble
Motorbikes
By gzt (Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 01:47:08 PM EST) gzt, hiding stuff, never surrender, mornington crescent (all tags)
Glad I wore something decent today.

Got pulled into a meeting with $CHIEF_SOMETHING_OR_OTHER_OFFICER first thing in the morning as an expert on $SOMESUCH_AND_NONSENSE. My manager was there, but it was quickly determined that she was just a manager, so they needed to pull somebody in and nobody else was around. I did quite well, except that it's hard to hide my feeling that $SOMESUCH_AND_NONSENSE is mostly somesuch and nonsense. At one point, the $CSOOO was like, "Wait, that doesn't actually sound like it's very substantial," after the managerial caste had built up some crap and then asked me to say something about it which turned out to be rather deflationary, and I felt slightly bad because, for once, I had overplayed the lack of substance in this nonsense, but we managed to clarify that point. Really, though, if I'd had five minutes' notice, I could've printed up some helpful exhibits. Or just looked around on my desk for helpful exhibits.

I squatted 200kg (440#) on a whim on Saturday. I took a week off after that meet. I was going to just do something light, but I didn't feel like doing more than a couple reps per set, and then decided that if I was going to just do singles, might as well go for a heavy single, and then might as well hit that milestone. It's not terribly impressive, but it's a good mark to hit.

I am reading The Two Towers right now. Good stuff.

I agree with Ebert about video games and art.

I'm joining Team Gorilla.

I read an article about homeopathy off of aldaily. Not remarkable enough to link to, but interesting enough to discuss. I really hope that silly nonsense disappears. I'm all in favor of investigating "traditional" or "non-western" or whatever medicines (or, rather, letting other people investigate them), but homeopathy is just stupid and wrong. It can be rejected almost a priori. One need not make any argument against it. Acupuncture, naturopathy, herbalism, Zone diets, whatever, yeah, go ahead. Homeopathy is for tools. The unfortunate part, however, is that a lot of insurers in Europe cover homeopathic remedies and use their coverage as a selling point. This is bad. Further, people think that, because their insurance covers it, it must be effective. Very bad.

What my wife calls "putting things away", I call "hiding my useful things in secret places where they will never ever be found again" or just "messing with my stuff". I suppose there must be some middle ground somewhere. We will never find it, though. I will never surrender! Never forget! Word is bond!

Hmm, cheap used books about Mornington Crescent available. Perhaps worth spending the $4 on shipping and $0.02 for the book. Just for kicks.

< What I did this weekend | I said, here goes for the parson's nose >
grumble grumble | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
TTT is the weakest link, troll. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:39:45 PM EST
Also, nip that "messing with your stuff" thing in the bud. Show her both sides of the Pimp Hand, in equal measure.

Yes, it is... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:54:22 PM EST
...the weakest of the three (both book and movie), though I would note nothing happens in the first half of Fellowship; Fellowship is mostly rambling with very little actually happening. Still, TTT is a good read.

I would note that it's hard work to exorcise the images implanted in my brain by the movies. I just can't have Viggo and Orlando in there, though Eowyn can remain. No Arwen or Galadriel.

I have a game to play with by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 03:26:25 PM EST
Eowyn, Arwen and Galadriel. I like to call it "Tame the Boggan."

They're all right... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 03:29:46 PM EST
...but I just have better casting ideas for those roles.

Me too. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 04:56:50 PM EST
Christina Hendricks as Galadriel would be a great start.

+1 to your theories by gzt (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 05:19:59 PM EST
I really think blonde works better for the role (though I hear she's a natural blonde), but, bah, she's a good pick.

"Putting stuff away" by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 03:14:56 PM EST
My wife "surprised me" by cleaning the den once.

Once.

Anyway, these days my problem isn't cleaning, but people who immediately hit my desk when they can't find the $OfficeMaterial.  Hence, my desk never has it when I need it while the junk drawer has five pairs of scissors, fifty pens, five rolls of tape and three phillips head screw drivers.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

stuff doesn't exist if it's in a drawer by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 03:32:46 PM EST
or cabinet or otherwise behind a door of sorts. So it's not just "my stuff", it's moving anything. I've almost stopped eating fruit merely because it's in a produce drawer now.

you too? by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 10:05:14 PM EST
I forget about food I have in the fridge because someone that's not me pushes it to the back.
---------
it's frustrating and confusing. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 10:50:14 AM EST
I always think we're out of stuff, but I can't go to the grocery store because it's not my job to get food and we inevitably have it.

i have a similar mental block. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 05:52:37 PM EST
I left my shoes here, why would they be anywhere else? what do you mean in the closet you always put them in? i never put them there, so never think to look there.

grumble grumble | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback