Print Story What I did this weekend
Cycling
By hulver (Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 09:40:05 AM EST) (all tags)
I bet you can't guess.

I did the Big G Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive this weekend.

The 100km route. 1200 m of climbing. On the fixed.

Picked up a friend in York, then registered and set off about 8:30.

As usual, I went far to hard at the start, despite trying to take it easy. I left Arch (who was on a recumbent trike, and expecting to go slowly anyway) and the others I'd met up with at the start behind. I felt great. I was powering down the hills and up the other side without a problem.

I stopped about 10km in to help a guy who was trying to change a puncture with only one tyre lever. He was impressed with the speed I got his tyre off and on again with my usual three. Arch and the rest of the group passed me. When I set off again I was flying with the tail wind and soon overtook Arch again. Couldn't resist flying up the hills.

I was on my own again for a while, and went past a guy from the group who'd bent a chain ring on the hills. The hills were starting to get a bit harder now, and I occasionally had to stop to give my legs a rest before carrying on.

Then at 50km in I ran out of water. I'd had two 750ml bottles of Torq energy drink, but after 3 hours I drained them both. I couldn't see a shop anywhere and it seemed like ages until the feed station.

I went through the delightfully named Wetwang at some point around here. I can't remember if it was before I ran out of water or not.

It was ages until the feed station. About another 17km. Without water this was a struggle, and I had to walk up a portion of one hill.

Then bliss. Water, bananas and flap jack. I drank half a bottle worth of water, made the rest up into some more Go Juice using some powder I'd brought along, and had about 5 glasses of juice as well.

I was well stocked up for the final portion of the ride now. My legs were getting pretty spent though. I struggled with the hills out of Warter and then was the big one. Called Nunburnholme hill, it's a long steep hill, over 10% gradient in places and a mile long.

I made an effort and was hopefully forcing my bike up the hill as the photographer lurked, rather than bending over the bars shaking and trying not to be sick.

Big G Sportive 20100717 (The King of the Mountains top is supposed to be ironic)

I was determined to ride it though, and made it eventually. After stopped to admire the view several times. That view was well and truely admired by the time I was done.

The last 20km were fairly boring, after the interesting scenery. I was glad for the lack of hills, but mile after mile of dead straight road got a bit tedious.

I logged my time, and because this was a northern ride, got fed pie and peas at the end of it, washed down with cups of tea. Good recovery food and much needed.

It was a good day out, but I'm still suffering today. Very achey.

I looked at the published results, and they handily did it in spreadsheet format so you can sort by time. Do that one the 100km route, and go right to the bottom. Yes, the very last entry and you'll find my time. 6 hours and 46 minutes total time. So going to hard at the start really caught me out later on, as every single person I'd overtook, came past me again and I used up all my energy early on going stupidly fast up hills. Oh well, you'd think that one day I'd learn.

I think I'm going to struggle on the Phil Liggett Challenge ride (still places left on that if you want to join me, 8th August) which has got 2600m of climbing and is 150km long. I'll be doing that on the geared bike though. If I manage it at the speed I did this weekend's ride on, it will take me roughly 11 hours. I will take it easy at the start though. Gear down and spin gently.

I'm determined to do the 150km route though, I failed it last year and bailed at the 100km split point, finishing the 100km route instead.

I'm also looking to do a flatish 200km around here somewhere, before I have a blood letting. Weekend of 21-22nd August is the planned time for that, although I haven't worked out a route yet.

< Where I go on a second date. | grumble grumble >
What I did this weekend | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 10:41:56 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Heh by hulver (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 10:53:18 AM EST
I think he's lost up a Welsh mountain somewhere.

He's a far stronger rider than me though.

I'm only posted about cycling so much, because there's nothing else I can talk about right now.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

That's Wetwang! by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 12:23:05 PM EST
How do you record your speed, time etc? I'm prob getting an iPhone soon and the apps on it look great, still tempted by a Garmin Edge though

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I use a Garmin Edge 705 by hulver (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 01:19:47 PM EST
I used to have an Edge 205, which was great for logged where you'd been, how fast you'd been going etc. You could use it to plot out a course that was just a wiggly line on the screen, that you could follow. I used that quite a few times to go some pretty long distances and it worked quite well.

The 705 has got proper mapping though, and thinks like heart rate monitoring, cadence and all sorts of extra goodies.

I did use to just use a cycle computer. You can get them for about £10. Stick it on your bars, with a magnet on the wheel and it records your speed, how far you've been stuff like that.

Depends how silly you want to get.

The time this weekend was recorded by the organisers. You strapped a chip to your leg, and rode over a mat at the start and at the end, and it logged the time in between.

My Garmin recorded the time as 6:34, because I forgot to press the Start button until I'd been riding a while. I've also got it set up not to pause recording when I stop.

I don't know anybody who uses an iPhone for recording trips. I know there are apps for it, but I think they eat through battery pretty quickly. If you're getting one anyway you could try one out, but how would you strap it to your bars? Or are you not bothered about seeing your speed etc when you're moving.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

You can get a holder by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 08:48:06 AM EST
For your handlbars, I think. A mate has one for his Nokia N9500.

Seeing as I'm probably getting an iPhone anyway I'll try it out, but yeah, the battery thing could well be a problem. Not so much for cycling which is rarely a full day for me, but with hiking, which I'll also be using it for.

Which brings me onto Garmin Edge's biggest selling point - Ordnance Survey maps. I can see myself ending up getting one for this reason even if the iPhone turns out to be adequate.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Yep by hulver (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 09:18:04 AM EST
The 705 has got good mapping. The 605 has got mapping, but doesn't have HRM and stuff like that.

If it's more for hiking, you might want to look at things like the etrek vista.

Also, look at OpenStreetMap stuff before you spend lots on OS maps. They're getting very good. I use them all the time for cycling, and I've only ever been down one road that didn't exist on the map. Lots of off road detail being added as well.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I saw those by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 05:37:14 PM EST
When I was looking into the Trail app (which is meant to be the best one) for iPhone. Had a look online but didn't find much really... maybe I should look again

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

There's a guy I know by hulver (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 01:50:06 AM EST
off another forum who produces a garmin ready version of the whole of the UK every couple of weeks.

I use it on mine and it's fantastic.

I send you the link if you're interested.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Thanks by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 04:19:35 AM EST
If I do get a Garmin I'll definitely be interested. TBH until I try these things out I'm not entirely sure how they work

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

You look especially stylish in the pic. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 01:55:48 PM EST
Cycling suits you.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Thank you by hulver (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:12:21 PM EST
I've been ordered to buy a print of that picture to hang on the wall.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
My guess was "bicycling." by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:34:02 PM EST
What do I win?

Whoa, impressive by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:46:31 PM EST
You're pretty mental not going for those gear things though. They're pretty handy on hills.
You are why most bikes are inefficient (nt) by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 06:12:53 PM EST

Vive le Montréal libre.
Flapjacks by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 02:50:17 PM EST
I think this has been covered before, but ...

English flapjacks look like good pocket nosh. Most recipes look about the same.  How do these measure up?

Look OK by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 04:02:23 PM EST
I use this recipe. Worth paying attention to his notes on the cooking temperature, the hard and crunchy variety can be extremely hard at first, though it softens up after two or three days.

They are very good pocket food. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 05:02:21 PM EST
That looks like a decent basic flapjack.

There's some good recipes here with a savoury flap jack recipe as well.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

flap jacks ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 09:16:51 AM EST
but no pecan-banana recipe ?

English flapjacks by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 09:24:41 AM EST
Please keep up.
wait by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 09:37:58 AM EST
those are granola bars ...

I'm trying to work out by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 04:49:57 AM EST
..which is redder?  your face or the circles on the shirt....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
My face I think by hulver (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jul 20, 2010 at 07:23:10 AM EST
At that point I was 75km into the ride, hauling 18 stone (plus bike) up a 12% gradient on a 63" fixed gear.

It was hard work ;)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Great going... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 10:02:38 AM EST
Since I've moved to London the furthest I've biked is 10 miles... with stops...

Wuss by hulver (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 10:06:20 AM EST
There aren't even any hills in that there London ;)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Mate.... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #25 Sat Jul 24, 2010 at 07:25:36 AM EST
.... anyone doing such a ride is a winner, no matter what an abomination of a spreadsheet says.

Nicely done. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 03:06:31 PM EST
 Do you pronounce that "wet wang" or "we twang"?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Wet Wang by hulver (2.00 / 0) #27 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:08:07 PM EST
It's quite famous around here.

I need to find a ride that goes through Blubberhouses.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

awesome job. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Jul 26, 2010 at 04:48:27 PM EST
My longest trip this past week in the kayak was only 10 miles, and that was with a stop for a cheese sandwich in the middle.

What I did this weekend | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback