Print Story I saw that one coming
By clover kicker (Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 02:13:58 PM EST) (all tags)
New immigrants at higher risk of drowning: study

Reminds me of the time we took a buddy's father-in-law fishing with us...

BFIL is a great guy, he's funny and a huge party animal when he gets away from the stereotypical immigrant hours at his stereotypical immigrant small business.

He tagged along once on a back-woods fishing weekend. No-where in East Coast Canuckistan is truly remote, i.e. we were only a 45-minute drive from the nearest village, we don't have vast wilderness areas like other parts of Canada. We're small, and we've been settled for a comparatively long time - when walking thru what looks like virgin forest you might see an old line fence from a farm abandoned 100 years ago.

But we've got plenty of rough country and bad roads, and it sure can feel isolated.

The drive into camp felt like a pickup truck commercial. One section had a 100-foot stretch of road completely underwater. One of the lads had to put on hip-waders and scout ahead, under the watchful eye of a moose grazing the edge of the woods. Puddles, no big deal, but I've never had water streaming over the hood before.

Anyway, we finally got in, set up our gear and got ready for fishing. Everyone changed into boots, long pants and long sleeves... except BFIL who'd only brought sneakers, shorts and t-shirts.

We had no idea BFIL was a complete backwoods virgin, he's been in the country for at least 20 years and we just assumed he'd know all this stuff. Even the softest, most effete Torontonian has probably been to summer camp or camping with the family as a kid. I can only imagine the dangerous chaos if he'd tried to make that trip with a group of immigrant buddies, throw a couple of canoes in the mix and you'd have bad news.

To make a long story short we loaned BFIL a long shirt, couldn't find a pair of pants to fit and just doubled up on the flydope. (borrowed of course, he didn't bring any...) He utterly ruined his sneakers and several pairs of socks, was completely covered in bug bites, but had beaucoup fun and wants to come along next time.

< [+] [P] Books that give hands-on examples of how to use statistics properly | crashing the procyon party >
I saw that one coming | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
invites the question 'immigrant from where' by nathan (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 03:23:06 PM EST
And what he and his family did in Teh Old Country.

For instance, my wife's family lives in small-town Transylvania. (No, seriously.) They all know how to fix their Communist-era cars and slaughter pigs and do their own plumbing and make sausage and can vegetables and so forth. My step-father-in-law's mom still lives, in her mid-80's, on a small farm in Oltenia that she runs herself. She still grows and picks her own grapes, makes her own wine, runs a market garden on her farmstead, carries water from a well two hills over, and all this in a unelectrified house (nearest phone is in the village.) What I'm saying is that they'd have the sense not to go camping in shorts and sneakers.

I'm an immigrant myself, but Saskatchewan to Soviet Yankistan doesn't really cut the same way. My great-grandfather homesteaded in 1908 and my dad still runs the farm.

Where is BFIL from?

the article specifically mentions by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 09:25:58 PM EST
China, South and Southeast Asia.

I won't say much about BFIL because quite frankly there are so few immigrants in the Maritimes that if I stated ethnicity and occupation it would narrow it down to about 20 guys in the whole region :)

But yeah he was a townie in the old country, in a place with a much different climate.

that'll do it by nathan (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 09:32:44 PM EST
He should have joined the Young Pioneers!!! (Or not.)

I just know... by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Jul 17, 2010 at 12:51:52 PM EST
That I had mandatory swimming classes in 4-6 grade in Minnesota, a mandatory swimming class in my Southern California High School and being able to stay afloat for ten minutes without touching a High School graduation requirement.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I thought everyone knew this? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 03:35:45 PM EST
The FA really glosses over the reason with that "access to facilities" tripe. The reason they lack facilities is that fucking swimming lessons are a low priority for the vast majority of the world's population. They're too busy gathering food, water and fuel to worry about their 200 IM split times. I'll wager that less than 1% of the world's population can do better than doggie-paddle and they sure as Hell aren't drownproofed. This won't be fixed in their home countries ever.

/LIFEGUARD RANT OFF

lifeguard? by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 09:29:03 PM EST
You're a man of varied life experiences.

And yeah, it's a luxury. But in all seriousness some places just don't have as much water laying around as us lucky North Americans.

It was a perfect match many years ago. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jul 16, 2010 at 02:31:36 AM EST

I once went swimming with a group by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 06:14:20 PM EST
The Bulgarian, the Hungarian and the Romanian could all swim far better than I.

So could the guy from Kentucky.

Cicero, The Republic
my wife was a Young Pioneer by nathan (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 06:26:55 PM EST
Although strictly speaking the little girls' branch was "Falcons of the Nation." One of the things that the Young Pioneers did was conduct swimming lessons. Here's how they did it in Maramures ca. 1985:

"Do you know how to swim, little girl?"
"No, sir."
*throws little girl into water*

My mom was not a Pioneer by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 06:53:42 PM EST
Nonetheless, that's more or less how she taught all of her younger brothers and sisters how to swim. (She was the oldest of 7.)

I'm not a great swimmer but I do okay.

Cicero, The Republic