Print Story Pointed sticks.
By technician (Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 10:44:50 AM EST) (all tags)
If there ever was an intro, this wasn't it.

So I'm older. I'm certainly not as wise as I was before I quite drugs, but I feel better. I'm getting ready for one of those bizarre nostalgia trips, and I'm not looking forward to it all that much. Parts of it I am, sure. Parts of it, maybe not.

The old highschool reunion. Twenty years since I done graduated and immediately started working full time. Twenty years is a long time.

I wasn't much of anything in high school. I'd gone from viola to the journalism class (where I was editor of the school newspaper for a couple of years), from art to weightlifting, from AEP to AP. I'd traded in my nerdly attempts at being cool with a nerdly attempt at not caring. I wore the same clothes as everyone, had the same mullet as everyone, kept all my belongings in a backpack and a year-round Levis jacket, and didn't get a driver's license until I was almost 18. I had the same girlfriend from the age of 15 to about 19 or so. My acquaintances were mostly in the upper echelon of that school's caste, but I was a journeyman, one of those guys who moves from Mexican gangster parties to preppie country club cotillions to the occasional goat roping. I think my mobility, socially, had something to do with not being truly involved in anyone's life. Since I lived so far away from town and had no car, my closest friends and my girlfriend all lived within four miles of me, and with the exception of the girl were all not in my graduating class.

So, its obvious that my only choice is to spend $1k to get there and back + hotel + car to see a whole load of people that I'm fairly ambivalent about. And of all of the people in my circle of friends, my wife and I are the only ones without kids. Thus, we'll have little to talk about. Oh, wait, there is one guy who doesn't have kids, but he has dogs....like ten of them. Replacement for the kids he can't have, from what I can tell.

All of this, though, will actually be sort of fun. I'm not annoyed by it, but I am curious as to why I even want to go. Amy will be there, and that'll be awkward...she's got this version of me marching around in her head on quiet nights, though not often, and I'm curious what she's like now. There's a lot of females in my list of friends, and the only people I really want to see happen to be women. Odd. I didn't have many close male friends in my class...my closest male friends were a year younger or a year older, and none of them live in that town any longer.

There's a negative financial aspect to it. My brother just hit me up for a not insignificant loan, and my sister-in-laws have each needed bailouts very recently. We had some other unscheduled expenses, and we're a one income household, so spending this sort of cash to go on a vacation would be OK...if it were a vacation someplace exciting. Gah. Maybe I should have pressed for the reunion to take place on neutral ground. New York City or Denver or Chicago or Boston or Italy.

Odd. I'll have to report on it in the most gonzo way that I can while still maintaining my employer's strict standards of behavior.

< attn lm infidel: | I really should get to work on some of this. Also, DESTINY. >
Pointed sticks. | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
one income home ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 10:59:38 AM EST
I hope the phd is sending out CVs like there's no tomorrow.. Or building a lab in the garage..

Word. by lolwhat (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 11:34:39 AM EST
Teh Wyfe lost her job last month - still looking for another. My own business is OK for now, but shit could change instantly.
If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.
She could probably by technician (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 01:03:26 PM EST
get a job in academia pretty quick if she wanted one, but she'd immediately have to find funding, then spend 9 months out of the year chasing funding instead of doing science. So, no more academia for her.

There's not much for her science in this town, but now she doesn't want to leave.

So. She'd a house wife with a PhD. Really, I think it's more about the journey than the destination.

well shit, what makes her different ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 02:24:56 PM EST
work, funding, "chasing" versus "doing science" ?

hell, if I didn't want to work, do you think I would ? I'd read the paper, putter in the garden, play in the woodshop, volunteer etc. I didn't need no pee-ach-dee to do that.

Well, by technician (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 02:30:30 PM EST
she does desperately want to work, but the science she does, not many people want in the private sector. And hey, she's spent 10 years chasing funding and doing science, so she deserves a break.

and you've chased 20 years of root-cause 17 by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #9 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 03:18:45 PM EST

mine's next year. by clock (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 12:52:53 PM EST
no interest at all after a social network displayed pics of this year's crowd.  i thought "jeezus...they're all old and fat!  what the fuck?  but they're older than i am...that's to be expected and..."

yeah.  not going.  fuck that.

good luck.  shout when you're back.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Mine was fun by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 02:45:06 PM EST
The ten year was weirder, as some people looked just like they had in high school, and some looked 10 years older than the rest of us. The true losers were still hanging around. Some still in their parents houses.

At 10 years you could just start to tell who had been too much of a sun worshipper, seeking the perfect tan.

The 20 year? Fun. The losers were gone. Most, but not all, of the old crowd was there. Most had kids. Fun hanging out for a couple of evenings.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I recently went to my 10 year one... by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 09:57:21 AM EST
...it was interesting to see which of the girls had blossomed into hotness and which ones had already burned out. Interestingly there seems to be a correlation between being hot back then and meh now. It was a decent night out, even though I was really negative to start out with. I actually stayed until the end, which is relatively uncommon for me. I even shared a taxi with a recent stranger :-).

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Yes. Although... by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #20 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 11:24:43 AM EST
A few held on to their hotness. Mainly the ones who didn't get too much sun. Or were Italian. Some of the Italians are as hot at 45 as they were at 18.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I think reunions are only good by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 02:45:39 PM EST
for hooking up. I don't think there's a reason for married people to go.

But I've never been to one of my own, I'm just repeating what others have told me.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Sergeants Major by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #10 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 04:48:22 PM EST
Sisters-in-law.

I deign to mention this because I love you, bro.

Pip pip, old boy. by ni (4.00 / 3) #12 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 09:25:20 PM EST
Without the heavy hand of grammar we are little more than animals. May you always be around to keep us on our toes.

Fifteen minutes of "Jersey Shore" by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 09:41:26 PM EST
will confirm just how right you are, my man.

I always fuck that up. by technician (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 10:48:25 PM EST

You know which one I always duck up? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 01:26:32 AM EST
Weird - which I erroneously spell wierd, because if it was a German word, my version would be correct.

ie == sounds like here
ei == sounds like wire

Me too by technician (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 09:57:15 AM EST
but I also screw up most written things. That's what spel cheq iz fer.

Reunions... by ana (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 04:53:47 PM EST
I've been to my 10, 20, and 30 year reunion. The 10 was meh. Everybody still trying to decide who they were. The next two were much better: people change, mostly to the mellow side, as they grow older.

One very odd thing in adult society, though: you look around the room and realize that everybody in this room right now is 38 years old.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

i've got one this year by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 03:09:27 AM EST
still not sure if i want to go. like you, most of my friends were in other classes. we went to the man's though, i had more friends from his class than my own. i didn't go to the 5 year, and i can't think of anyone i really want to see...yet i'm tempted to go just to see who's grown up and who's still in high school..
---------
omg by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 04:23:44 AM EST
You're older than my gf?
Tell me about this "biological clock" thing. I need some warning signs.

i'm 27 by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 08:59:34 PM EST
almost 28. I've wanted a kid for years though so my biological clock is not what you want to follow...
---------
Oh, I meant signs from her . . . by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 09:11:36 PM EST
aside from "Sugar[1], I want a baby."

[1] term void outside of KY

My 20-year was great by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 12:11:15 PM EST
Most of the original hotties weren't (except for the two dykes) but something that evening worked for everyone. It was bittersweet in some cases such as with Eddie D. who was, at 38, still an unemployed stoner. But I'm glad I went... and I was THE outsider of the school.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

My 30th is this summer. by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #22 Wed Jul 14, 2010 at 02:20:32 PM EST
No, I'm not going. I travel too much for work, and there were 914 in my graduating class. Just doesn't seem worth it, because shadenfreude is not enough.

The three worst times in my life were grad school, middle school and high school. Why go and be reminded?

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I've done it by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 11:18:20 AM EST
too. CBB and I went to our ten year, which is the same as we were in highschool together in the same graduating year. It was fun and different for me, lots of popular kids suddenly were so friendly to me and interested in me, though mostly they just told me how good I looked (I must have looked shit in higschool cause lots of people said stuff about it and often in that way where you hear the "compliment" and wonder if it's more of an insult) or they gushed about me being with CBB and asked questions about him (he was popular in school through his art, pranks and stage plays and such). I talked about him a lot that night, but I don't mind that, he's interesting. I got to feel more validated should I have needed that and who doesn't like compliments! Also we got drunk and had fun grown up times. I hope you have some good times!
*twinkle*twinkle*

Reunions by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Jul 15, 2010 at 08:26:51 PM EST
My 20th was in November.  The one striking thing is that all those people are old now.  We didn't do a five or ten year reunion, so I hadn't seen the majority of these people in twenty years.  They all looked old.   My high school story is similar to yours.  The few people I knew in high school well enough to be good friends are people I kept in touch with more or less over the years.

The reunion itself was okay, but I would have preferred to simply meet up with my small clique of friends since that's really the only people I spoke to all night.   None of us are who we were at seventeen.   The one surprise was the bookish girl from grade school all the way through high school.  When she hit college and got freedom from her mom she learned to love life.  So that was nice.

---------------