Print Story An A & A Probable B
By atreides (Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 12:31:08 PM EST) (all tags)
Those are my grades in my English and Math classes. I won't know the algebra grade for a couple of days but if I beat a 60, I got a B and I'm pretty sure I beat a 60...

So, you may wonder why you haven't heard from me much. Well, writing 8 papers in 5 weeks makes one allergic to writing in general, even if they are stupid papers. May I say, for the record, that my best grade was on my worst paper. Once it dawned on me that the point of the research paper was to make sure I understood how to cite things, I started making stuff up like it was going out of style. The information contained within was correct, but the citations and whatnot were a joke. I picked 5 random books off my shelves and went to town.

Just started a 730 AM Trig class and another online English course. Turns out that ACC is cheaper than I thought. My benefactor gave me money for these new classes and wen I went to pay for the, they told me that they were paid for by the original outlay of money. So I now have fall classes paid for, too. PreCal and US Hist, I'm coming for you! At the same time, maybe I'd feel better about it all if I didn't feel the way I do right now. More on that later...

So my computer went out on me a couple of weeks ago. I went to my favorite local computer shop that has been steadily getting smaller and small over the last decade for a new motherboard and CPU. They were out of the CPUs I wanted. :( Thanks Jeebus for Fry's! I got a much better motherboard and CPU for about $20 less than I was going to pay before. I suspect this is the reason why the local place has been dying.

Welsh Girl is starting to get a bit bigger. Luckily, she's past the early miserable part and into the feeling great part. Well, most of the time, anyway. The Despoina, of course, is her cute, energetic self.

It's official. I did not get either job. I went by to inquire this morning since my class is right down the street. Apparently, their new hires started last week. I guess I just haven't gotten the letter yet. So much for enthusiasm...

So, Welsh Girl comes to me last night. She's thinking about going back to work full time until the birth. Right now, she's working part time and that gets us insurance (I'd skip it for myself, but she and the Despoina need it for obvious reasons) and just enough extra to barely be unable to make ends meet. After December, barring luck, we'll just be living on my unemployment and that's not even close to being enough.

Of course, if she does work full time, then I may have to change my classes around and be a stay at home father, finding time to study and job hunt wherever I can. Neither one of us likes this. She wants to be a stay at home mother. I don't. I want to go out and work. She doesn't. And, joy of joys, fate has put us exactly where we don't want to be.

Times like this, I feel like an almost complete and total failure. I can't articulate what I expected from marriage (much to my wife's chagrin) but I certainly expected that I would be the one to bring home the proverbial bacon. Maybe it's a little bit of machismo remaining from the age I grew up in. Maybe it's some gender bull still floating around in my head. But I always expected to do my part financially. If my wife made more than me, that's cool. I'm not hung up on that (though, to be honest, if she made VASTLY more than I did [4x or more], it might bother me a little). But I always expected that I would have a job. Actually, I guess, I do have a job. Unfortunately, it's suckling from the teat of the state. I hear it's a growth industry. Maybe, just maybe, I'm just not a modern man. Maybe I'm sick of having to constantly justify my worth to strangers. Maybe I'm sick of continually being found wanting. Maybe I just want to curl up in bed for a few days and say "to hell with everything else."

But that's not an option. Welsh Girl has to work tonight. Someone has to take care of the Despoina. I have to start a stupid paper on a stupid story by stupid Chekhov. God, I fucking hate Russian Literature. But in the words of Turanga Leela, "you gotta do what you gotta do."

</self-pity>

Stuff to do. Posting now. Will post again soon. Wouldn't want to disappoint my adoring fans, now would I?

That is all.

< World Cup Diary | weddinating the countryside >
An A & A Probable B | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
How long until you can graduate? by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 01:12:15 PM EST
It might be worth it to find out what degree you could get the soonest.

Back in the day, my dad spoke with a counselor who suggested he could graduate immediately if he changed his major. So he took a bunch of credits from all the years of part-time schooling and wrapped them up in a Bachelors of History degree.

You should talk to a counselor.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

a 730 AM Trig class by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 01:23:46 PM EST
Glutton for punishment...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

yes by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 08:36:07 PM EST
I had a 730 AM Calc class... it was a horrible idea.

I had an 8:00 AM Calc class by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 05:51:27 AM EST
Near the end of the course the professor told us what our current grades were.

I was pretty shocked when he told me I had a 74, because the lowest test or quiz score I had in the class was in the mid 90's.

I then found out about the his policy that each day missed was a 2 point deduction from your overall grade (I skipped the first day when this was mentioned).

Half of me wanted to tell him that obviously he can't count well because I had skipped way more than 8 or 9 days he had recorded, but the other  part of me decided to just be happy that I wasn't failing a class that as far as the course work went, I had aced.

I'm pretty sure if he had failed me though, I would have been able to fight it out with the dean and get at least a mercy pass.

don't count on that by clock (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 08:11:10 AM EST
all three of the universities i attended treated the syllabus as a contract.  if 50% of the grade was attendance and you aced everything but never attended, you failed.  i had arguments with students in lab classes i taught that had attendance requirements.  but if it's in the contract, you lose.

that said, i never required attendance.  i simply told students that if they thought that every question that i would ask could be answered based on their text book and their existing knowledge then there was no need to take up space in the classroom.  yet folks showed up and i almost never had students with attendance problems.  of course i taught electronic music.  calc?  fuck that.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I was pissed by garlic (4.00 / 2) #12 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 12:07:13 PM EST
at any science or math class that had required attendence, because you show you know the material with tests and quizzes and homeworks, not with any class discussion.

I hear you brother, by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 02:29:56 PM EST
boy do I hear you. It's hard living up to the ideals we imagine isn't it?  I know I'm not living up to mine. I'm sitting here reading for my psych course thinking, shit, I still haven't started volunteer work (which I haven't found yet either up here in rural-land) which I will need for SURE for my application for my masters and I have no references of any kind. MEh to the world. Don't you give up though, it sounds like you're doing awesome at school as I knew you would. Keep it up champ!
*twinkle*twinkle*

you have references. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 12:08:15 PM EST
Most people on husi would be happy to write a reference for you. We may not be what the school's looking for, but we'd be happy to refer you.

sometimes, life sucks by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 04:19:41 PM EST
and other times, you find yourself on a completely new path that turns out better than anything you could have ever imagined.  be pissed off, but keep your mind open.

my BIL wasn't happy about being a SAH-dad.  he then fell into a writing gig and now has a monthly column for Redbook (he's the voice of the modern dad) amongst other one-off pieces he sells.  it's worked out really well for them, in the end....although it's nothing like what they originally wanted or planned for.

Good job on the grades by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 09:45:11 PM EST
The highlight of my undergraduate career was citing the Fuck Facts! insert from the Dead Kennedy's Bedtime for Democracy as a source for a research paper.

I don't think I've made anything up out of whole cloth since high school when I did a final project in a literature class, reviewing several novels and giving a brief biography of an author who didn't exist.

Cicero, The Republic
How very Michael Crichton... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 10:07:57 PM EST
...giving a brief biography of an author who didn't exist.
Apparently, Eaters of the Dead took forever to publish because when he first wrote it as a project for a friend, he made up all these sources, and when he decided to actually make a book of it 10 years later, he had forgotten he had made them up so he spent months looking for obscure books from little known authors that he completely made up...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

that is an excellent story by johnny (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 10:07:37 PM EST
Don't care if it's true.

I love to hate Crichton, but I do admit the man had a knack, and man, he could crank out those novels like jellybeans.

G. Gavin Gunhold? = by nathan (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 11:07:21 AM EST

Hang in there... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 04:59:54 AM EST
I know what it's like to be on the scrapheap... keeping your mind in order is one of the hardest parts... you will make a come back, stronger...

Checkov by johnny (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 10:14:36 PM EST
I'm actually surprised that you don't like his stories, since I find your stories are often of a vaguely Checkovian bent.

As to feeling low about one's not achieving one's ostensibly reasonable life goals, I must implore you to not bring up the subject, as I'm forever battling the temptation to go jump off the West Chop dock at low tide head first into the muck --- which would cause an embarrassing front page story in the Vineyard Gazette of course, as I was pulled out kicking and screaming with a rope around my ankles by some passing successful person's sailing vessel, (perhaps even iGrrl's (oh, the ignominy)).

My problem with him isn't him... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 10:51:41 PM EST
...it's my distaste for Russian Lit in general. Just like my hatred of Steinbeck isn't about his writing; it's about having lived in a place that tried to shove him down your throat.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

An A & A Probable B | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback