Print Story Baby Stories
Family
By sugar spun (Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 04:40:23 PM EST) (all tags)
Babies are embarrassing.

I take my small daughter, best known as MNP, to a music class once a week. She doesn't do much more than mouth the cage bells and smack other kids with her maracas, but our fervent hope is that she will develop an appreciation of music in line with the parent who doesn't have a tin ear (why the tin-eared one has to take her to class every week I have yet to truly understand).

Anyway, we go there, she enjoys it, I endure it, and we come home on the tram. Last week it was a bright and sunny day, and instead of falling asleep in the sling as she normally does, MNP was wide awake and happy to interact with the world. On the tram, we sat beside a lovely little old lady with a startlingly full head of hair. She started chatting away to MNP, who may not speak German but who definitely understands attention when she gets it. MNP reached out gently and patted the old lady's face.

It was beautiful, and a part of my heart broke all over again that my grandmother will never get a pat like that. The little old lady herself was genuinely emotional, and she reached up and touched MNP's little grubby hand. This only emboldened my little monster, who reached up again. This time, however, she grabbed at the little old lady's hair and pulled. Hard. And dislodged her wig to the approximate angle of a military beret.

I imagine this will be the first of many such embarrassments, since I don't count the times she's vocalised her pooping after maximising her audience and announced successful completion with a satisfied, Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

I wouldn't trade in a single moment.
< note: gzt has no tattoos | Java book recommendation >
Baby Stories | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good job. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 04:48:13 PM EST
You definitely have the right attitude for the mother of doggy-spawn.

As for the music appreciation, starting early is good, but making sure that music is always a constant part of their lives is the important part. Keep it up.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

heh, nice by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 05:57:15 PM EST
the only thing I miss about childhood is the mental freedom that came with not yet being indoctrinated into social norms.

That is embarrassing? by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 06:23:00 PM EST
If either of my daughters had done that at that age, I'd be bragging to everyone I could get to listen.

Cicero, The Republic
What makes you think SS/RIG isn't? by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 09:41:19 PM EST
She's already figured out how to tell this story in the native tongue.

And hell yeah I'm beaming.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

You might be beaming by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 09:52:47 PM EST
RIG stated bluntly that it was an embarrassment.

Admittedly, certain cultures think embarrassing stories impute bragging rights. But my contention is that the story narrated entails no embarrassment at all.

Cicero, The Republic
Little Old Lady, unfortunately acronymed LOL by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 09, 2010 at 01:32:35 AM EST
was dreadfully embarrassed, and I was embarrassed both for her and that I'd failed to keep the small one's marauding little hands away from the most obvious wig never to have graced RuPaul's head. It's not as though I didn't see it coming in slow motion as the hand was reaching forwards.

Baby Stories | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback