Print Story That was fun
By riceowlguy (Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 12:14:57 PM EST) (all tags)
It's a nice sunny day in Houston, and I'm working at my desk...

I get up to use the bathroom, come out five minutes later and it looks like the apocalypse is happening out the window.

Now things have calmed down a bit.

I find this a bit funny since the local newspaper's science and climate guy predicted that this would be a dry summer for Houston, and it has rained a little bit every day now for a week...the typical Houston summer weather pattern.

While I'm at it, other news...I think we're another week away from my monthly post-my-weight-loss-progress-on-HuSI diary, but I can say that things progress more or less apace...I feel like I've been plateauing a bit lately, but I had cut back on my exercise to deal with some foot pain, and was also taking a bunch of naprosen which causes me to retain water, so it's hard to tell.  This week, being the first full work week since Houston public schools let out for the summer, my coworker is once again available to go to the gym with in the morning, so we've been doing that again, and that will help increase my energy expenditure quite a bit.

< Fast and furious. | note: gzt has no tattoos >
That was fun | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I think that was supposed to head this way. by technician (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 12:20:28 PM EST
We'd been hearing that it was supposed to be a wet summer (especially compared to the previous two years where we got no rain in the summer).

I was up for all of Memorial Day weekend by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 01:16:27 PM EST
and my mom kept complaining about how they haven't been getting any rain.  They hate watering (and I can't blame them), but they have to because of the standard HOA rules.  I was tempted to say "at least the reservoirs are full now".

My grass was growing like gangbusters before it started raining every day, so it's probably going to be a nightmare now.

We did have a bit of a spell there by technician (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 01:27:30 PM EST
for about two weeks, but we're getting pretty steady rain.

The wife, being unemployed, does the yard work now. I don't miss it one bit.

yeah by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 12:46:23 PM EST
it was black as hell down here.  evil.  now, just drizzling.  Stacky said it wasn't raining at our place yet.  Probably won't get to mow the lawn again.  not the end of the world.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

We had one of those Sunday. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 02:40:29 PM EST
Driving across the Bay Bridge and I see the sky getting a bit green, lots of lightning, so I turn on WTOP. Just as the emergency alert system comes on with tornado warnings for Annapolis. All the bridges I could've hidden under were filled with bikers trying to keep dry so I just drove on and hoped for the best.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 05:56:52 PM EST
I saw that bit of red on the radar... those storms coming across the bay can be absolutely scary.
It's hard to continue to work through the plateaus by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 03:52:58 PM EST
It would be nice to find a way to avoid them.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly