Print Story Baseball games make a bad date
Money
By gzt (Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 05:17:46 PM EST) gzt, calvinism, dating, baseball (all tags)
Why? I don't know, it just seems to be true. Maybe I will try to suss this one out in my diary.

I was going to do some research to figure out if anybody had written on something similar, as it seems intuitively true.

Aside: this in an interesting article about the whole flotilla thing. http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100531_flotillas_and_wars_public_opinion Analysis of the subtle game of chess that is the sport of baiting Israel.

Anyway, the google results had me reading a bunch of rather amusing bad date stories from web-logs. Nothing funny enough to pass along, but amusing enough to keep me occupied while thinking about how to coordinate this stupid project that got dumped in my lap.

My thoughts are that it's not as bad as a movie (movies are bad dates! you're killing an entire evening by sitting in the dark, watching something, and not interacting!) because you are not entirely passive and can talk if the sound system isn't too loud. However, there's this sporting event going on, and one party is almost certainly going to be more "into it" than the other, given the nature of sports. This doesn't work well, especially as, for somebody really into it, they're going to have to prioritize engagement in the sporting event over engagement in the date too often. This isn't as bad for baseball as some sports, like football. You're also going to be passive observers for the most part. Then again, what do I know? I hated dating, sucked at it, and have somehow figured out a way to quit doing it permanently. Actually, I didn't suck at it. I just hated it and didn't do it. I've really only "asked out on dates" two different women, one of whom it was sort of a mutual thing or something and she was sort of pursuing me, the other I married a few months ago.

But perhaps I should compile my advice anyway, since I know this guy who's sort of making a concerted effort to try to start dating or something and he definitely needs all the advice he can get about human interaction. That's what everybody always needs: unsolicited dating advice.

I got into a religious discussion. Some people were saying some stuff about the "dichotomy" of "saved" and "not saved" and how you can't know which bucket other people are in, so don't judge them. I found their conversation puzzling and weird. They were speaking as if they knew, themselves, which bucket they were going to be in and that there are buckets you can assign people to in this life. I interjected that, essentially, we don't know anything and that there will be a lot of surprises on that great and final day. Jesus Himself said that there will be many who say, "Lord! Lord!" who will be cast out into the outer darkness, and why should we presume that He's just talking about other people and not us? There are many other examples were, essentially, Jesus says, "You might be damned, don't get lazy about this." Despite all these warnings from the mouth of the Son of God Himself, they think they are definitely wheat and not chaff. I, doing an honest assessment of my conduct, cannot possibly conclude from my fruits that I will be known or that I have the slightest mustard seed of faith. Incidentally, that was in vogue for some types of Calvinists in the 17th century - self-examination and journalling to determine whether one has shown signs of being regenerate, and therefore of being part of Elect (because most don't historically believe in "assurance of salvation" or anything like that).

< Burning hyrdrocarbons on the edge of dawn. | I bought Granola tonight. >
Baseball games make a bad date | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Data Point by barooo (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 05:21:14 PM EST
my last serious girlfriend (before teh wife) and I had our first date at a Royals/Cubs interleague game in KC.  We dated for about 4 years and cohabitated for a couple of those.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
but was it a good date? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 05:26:22 PM EST
Sometimes things work despite the quality of the date setting.

case in point by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 05:28:57 PM EST
A lot of pretty good relationships start with a movie date. Movies are a terrible date idea because you spend half the evening not talking and passively watching something. Unless you get in some really good snarky whispered comments or make out for half the film.

re: last paragraph... by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 05:31:33 PM EST
yeahthat.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

indeed. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 06:00:09 PM EST

IAWTP. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 06:45:55 PM EST

they argued with me! by gzt (4.00 / 2) #14 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 10:51:37 PM EST
And I was like, look, man, I'm just summarizing a dozen different passages here, it's a theme that this Jesus guy talks about quite a lot. and they said I was "spitting on the cross" or something.

what about hockey game dates? by nathan (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 05:56:21 PM EST
International Math Olympiad dates? (I suspect those work out quite well for you if you're Ciprian Manolescu or something.)

Regarding movies.... by marvin (3.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 06:24:02 PM EST
As a teenager, I do not recall watching the movie all that much. I also recall that the level of interaction was directly correlated to how close we were to the back row of seats, and how many people surrounded us.

Usually, there was quite a bit of interaction. Sometimes my high school GF and I went to the same movie twice to make sure that we managed to actually watch some of it.

yeah, i noted that in the comments by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 08:50:10 PM EST
Something about getting to 3rd base by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 07:26:38 PM EST

Iambic Web Certified

WRONG by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 07:37:44 PM EST
You should not take a twunt to see rich jocks showing off for the same reason why she won't invite you to the bikini model fashion show. Duh.

It might be a portmanteau by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 08:31:19 PM EST
of two words that mean vagina, but I don't think that word's the kind of word that even the most earthy, most base kind of person, and you are certainly earthy and base - possibly the most earthy and base in the entire Pacific Northwest. Anyway, I don't think that's the word to apply to a woman you're taking on a date. Even if you're hoping for a home run.

I date damaged goods exclusively, good sir. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 12:32:53 AM EST
and believe me - it pays dividends.

Until you marry them by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 09:06:34 AM EST

Yeah. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 11:21:14 AM EST
Not doing that again. Women aren't to be trusted with matters of the heart. Or money, for that matter.

i wanted to rate this post 7 by nathan (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 02:16:45 AM EST
What happened to the "7" button?

I think a genuine 7 by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 07:54:01 AM EST
entails executing a query on the database.

But I'm very touched by the sentiment. Thank you.

Movie dates are fine in dinner theaters by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 08:03:56 PM EST
Couple places round these parts (and back in Cincy) show a movie in not quite pitch black and have sections with a table and a wait staff. Depending on the movie, this situation can be pretty interesting.

But really, I have to recommend underground punk rock shows in abandoned fire traps with a teaming mosh pit as a killer first date.

Cicero, The Republic