Print Story sweet, a new gym bag
Misc.
By gzt (Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 02:26:20 PM EST) gzt, out, catan (all tags)
for being awesome. a benefit of doing awesome stuff on short notice for people in marketing dept. bonus: it doesn't have any stupid branding on it.

dammit, i just noticed a small instance of our logo on it. well, it's unobtrusive.

I might have to consider this new gym idea if I'm going to do more oly lifting. The platform at my gym is pretty precarious. Bars will bounce in funky ways if dropped because it's not even, so you need to do a lot more control of the bar on the way down from overhead, so you have more chance of tearing your callus on the drops, and this just gets unpleasant (and potentially bloody) quickly. But, on the other hand, after this meet, do I want to do more oly lifting? I had always sort of thought the answer was yes, but, honestly, my ratios seem to indicate that I'm a better powerlifter than weightlifter and I'd need some good coaching to do better at weightlifting. There's also the "summer" issue, AC and all that jazz.

So I've been reading Consider the Lobster. A few observations. "Up, Simba" is about McCain's 2000 campaign. One thing that always strikes me about revisiting the 2000 campaign is the whole issue of what to do with the budget surplus. I know I've remarked on this before, but, in retrospect, it just seems so silly as we were approaching what was obviously the bursting of a bubble to talk about ridiculous prosperity. And then another bubble burst and here we are drowning in an even bigger deficit less than a decade later, long after all their plans "ganged" agley. I may look into what, exactly, they proposed for further lulz. I remember being cynical about their plans at the time, but anything more specific than that would be reading my hindsight into my position. Also more interesting in light of the 2008 McCain campaign, the contrast between the two McCains and the things which stayed the same. "Host", an article about a talk radio host and the whole phenomenon of talk radio ca. 2004 mentions at one point ads for a bewildering array of mortgage products (this is LA). Ha! How times have changed.

No gaming this week. Maybe I should figure out 2-player Settlers of Catan with these rules (http://nick.borko.org/games/Catan2Players.pdf) and see if Teh Wife is interested. She doesn't like Settlers, but is willing to give it another shot, and I'm wondering whether the shot she's willing to give is worth wasting on a variation. Also, I'm wondering whether she might be interested in some expansion, like Cities and Knights or Seafarers or something, since those can have more action (note: I really only have experience with original Catan).

It's time for lunch. gzt out.

< Attn: Perverse Incentive Football Infidels | I'm finding it hard to feel bad for tax cheats. >
sweet, a new gym bag | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
settler's expansions by garlic (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 02:38:11 PM EST
not good. or at least no improvement really on the original game, just more fiddly bits.

settler's 2 player card game was good, however.

I have to convince nearly fourteen year old by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 02:47:24 PM EST
to play the Settler's card game again. I liked it, she thought it was too hard.

I read a review just now... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 03:18:25 PM EST
...that stated it's pretty easy to catch on to the card game if you already know how to play Settlers, but tricky if you don't. Was she familiar with Settlers?

yes, but we only played once by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 03:20:21 PM EST
I think a second time would have really helped.

when I play two-handed with my wife... by nathan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 02:56:08 PM EST
Wait, let me start over.

When my wife and I play two-person Settlers of Catan, with cards, at a table, soberly and seriously and without any funny stuff, we usually play to 15 and start with three towns, first player placing 1, second player placing 2, first 2, second 1. It works pretty well. My wife is skillful and aggressive. The only board game she'll play, too, so good thing it's a good one.

C&K is more fun online than at a table because it has lots of bits and pieces and maintenance actions take a lot of time. It's a very good game but not really "Settlers" in the classic sense.

If you want to give it a shot online, go to games.asobrain.com.

by with cards... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 03:17:14 PM EST
...do you mean playing the card game, or with cards instead of dice?

sorry by nathan (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 05:04:59 PM EST
To be clear, we play with the board.

I'm opposed, in principle... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 05:10:14 PM EST
...to using a deck of event cards instead of dice. each turn gives information about the next turn with a deck of cards. this is bad.

card counting? in MY settlers? by nathan (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 06:29:30 PM EST
No thanks.

What is your by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 03:48:10 PM EST
gym's bloodborne pathogen control scheme? I'd hate for you to pick up some other dude's hepatitis after a botched lift.

bleach/water mix by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 03:51:12 PM EST
just like the rules of powerlifting competitions.

gym's in boystown, i'd be more concerned about teh aids.

They hand you a squirty bottle by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 08:05:23 PM EST
when you walk in the joint? I meant for in-between patrons.

as an aside by gzt (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 04:06:08 PM EST
that's another thing i find completely unacceptable about "crossfit". they seem to accept and glorify tearing calluses and crap like that. viz: http://www.therealmalingering.com/2008/12/17/my-gym-isnt-afraid-of-anyones-blood/ not every gym is like that, but enough are that you kind of have to wonder whether the so-called fitness experts running these places ever sat through a class on health.

as an aside, i think you'd appreciate some of the things on wildgorillaman.blogspot.com (but not all, some of it is very gristly)

sweet, a new gym bag | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback