Print Story New wheel
Cycling
By hulver (Mon Jun 28, 2010 at 11:22:43 AM EST) (all tags)
I've got a new wheel for my bike.

Wow.

When I built up my fixed, I wasn't sure if I would like it, or be keeping it long.

I got a decent frame, and then got the cheepest components I could, including a very cheep rear wheel off ebay.

A few months ago that wheel broke a spoke. I replaced the broken spoke, but the rest of them were very loose. Loose spokes are bad, if the spokes are loose they get more stress put on them when you go over bumps and such.

More spokes broke, and then some more.

I've now replaced 4 spokes, and due to me not being very good at truing the wheel, it was a bit wobbly and had a lump in it.

Somebody on a cycling forum I frequent was selling a hardly used rear wheel. Goldtec hub and OpenPro rim, double butted spokes, handmade.

Just what the doctor ordered.

I turned up this morning just as I was setting off to work, so I cycled home at lunch time to inspect it. It was in perfect condition, and I couldn't help myself.

I soon had the tyre and tube off my old wheel and on the new. Then a quick swap of sprockets and the new wheel was ready. The track nuts are Allen key instead of proper nuts, which I'm not sure about. I don't know if I'll be able to get them tight enough, but I'm trying them for now because they're very nice.

First impressions riding on it, oh my god. It's so smoooooth. My old wheel must have been very out of true, and I think the bearings were going in the hub as well. This is a completely different experience. Like riding with a suspension. The bike is solid under me, and because the rim is true I can even use the rear brake.

What a bonus.

Trouble is, I just want to get out there and ride it again instead of sitting here banging my head off SQL Reporting services.

Deep joy.

My next organised ride is going to be the Big G - Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive. It's a 100km route with 1350m of climbing. On fixed. :D

I'm currently practising hills. I'm finding the hilliest routes to work (not difficult) and riding up the hills as quick as I can. It hurts, lots. It's a good hurt though.

J was looking worried when I got home at lunch time. I'd ridden so hard I was close to throwing up.

I love riding my bike.

< iTunes Reviews (Syd Sym) | A modern major-general. >
New wheel | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
do it until you puke! by clock (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jun 28, 2010 at 11:36:31 AM EST
that's the way to tell you really, really love something.  or something like that.

in any case, this is very cool!  enjoy it!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

If you didn't puke by hulver (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Jun 28, 2010 at 11:47:45 AM EST
You didn't go hard enough!

Or something.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Sat down to lie in the grass by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 28, 2010 at 05:03:14 PM EST
and look at the view on my 'long way round' commute home last week, and someone passed by, saw my office clothes and urban bike on a bridlepath and encouragingly told my I was nearly there. Didn't know how to say I was only up there for the pootling. Also, 'AAAA+++ would buy again' summer in hilly semi-rural England, as I'm sure you'll agree.

*like* by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jun 28, 2010 at 12:25:34 PM EST
:D

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
True love by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 12:15:02 AM EST
makes you feel like a kid again.

Nice.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

I admit it... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 04:44:16 PM EST
I've become an endorphin addict. The worst part about vacation was no riding for 2 weeks - the one ride I took, where Lamb broke her leg, I was actually pondering if I really needed to take the shortest route back to the SUV to grab it and go back to retrieve my daughter....

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals