Print Story i say "soccer" because i'm cool
Music
By gzt (Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 04:45:23 PM EST) gzt, moustache, cookies (all tags)
It's an older and more posh name for the sport.

I am glad that we have sorted out that I am, in fact, "white", whatever that means. I think we can all safely lay the blame on google for the mixup. Friggin' google.

Also: fuck you, nathan. Taking over Troy and Constantinople while I was off playing world police in Rome and then winning the game because nobody else could get to you. Bah. That's the mistake Greece always makes. Or, at least, I always make as Greece and other people have made as Greece. Overextension across the Mediterranean. Taking Cyrenae that early means you have to be willing to give it up soon, otherwise it's a money pit at a time you need to be developing. Too bellicose! Babylon winning with a tax strategy, I think that's a first. It makes sense, though, if you grab a couple extra cities. MARE NOSTRUM. I like how the Russian version is called "Tsivilizatsia", as the game was originally marketed as a "Civilization Lite", which it wasn't and which led to bad reviews from people expecting a "Civilization Lite", from what I understand on the message boards.

What is funny: people doing "cleanses" or "detoxes" and doing stupid things like "colonic irrigation". Goes well with yoga, I suppose.

I really should get this pile of crap done.

There is weight training to improve general long-term quality of life and there is weight training to be a competitive strength athlete, which may have long-term detriment to your quality of life. Or, more generally, being on the top of any competitive athletic endeavour is often at the expense of some long-term quality of life. My weight training is far more on the spectrum of "improving long-term quality of life" than the other thing.

Day two of moustachery is going well.

Softball game tonight. Have to make sure that my stuff is in order before it's time to play. I have to get some of this done. Am taking center field.

They noticed finally that the Coke machine was just passing coins along and put it out of order until it is repaired.

Okay, crap, this might bite me in the arse. I keep getting urgent little requests for stuff by Friday, and they're little things that take an hour or two, so I put them off and prioritize bigger things I'm working on, but I've been getting them steadily all week and just got another one. I think this one might have just tipped the balance, and it's also urgent. The ones from the beginning of the week I can't say, "Meh, fuck off and wait," because they gave me adequate time and I was just pissing around all week finishing other crap (and it's mildly important to them to have it now), but I can't say, "Meh, fuck off and wait," to this one because it's sort of my thing to be on top of this stuff and it's actually important to have it now. Oh well, whatevs. Live and learn, cadets. I'll try to get some sympathy out of it, maybe get a pie. People give me baked goods for being awesome sometimes. I'll just have to be awesome, which is a bit much to ask for on a Friday, but I can oblige just this once.

< Space Ghost | In this diary: >
i say "soccer" because i'm cool | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Colonic irrigation is big business by dmg (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 04:56:38 PM EST
And given the state of some people's colons (full of mucoid plaque and the like) it's hardly surprising.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
next time, people will gun for me by nathan (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:02:48 PM EST
My days of easy steals are over.

To be fair, Egypt got hosed way worse than you did. And the dice are probably to blame for Greece's misfortunes.

It was fun, looking forward to the next one very much.

Well, that's the thing. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:10:52 PM EST
It's very easy to hose somebody. But the game is very balanced, it's almost kind of "zero sum" in a way, but it's hard to make the + corresponding to  the other person's - become your own. Greece invades Egypt to the -- of Egypt, the eventual - of Greece, with the +++ being split with others.

it's definitely zero sum by nathan (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:18:09 PM EST
You can't accumulate cards and you can't build very much. Makes it much more like chess (both sides always losing stuff) than C&K (building vast empires on virgin territory.)

At a certain point, I realized that I hadn't built any hunders, while Rome had built several and Carthage had been pulling 11 cards since turn 1. The writing was on the wall for Babylon. Only a kind of Oriental Bonapartism could save my far-flung but undeveloped empire.

hrm by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:38:12 PM EST
Well, it really depends how you define the utility functions. Since it's a game with a winner, it is a real zero-sum game. You can just assign everybody their probability of winning with perfect play from the current position and any + will have to be balanced by a - elsewhere trivially. It doesn't matter that the probability functions may not be calculable.

But in another sense it isn't, since, until you're attacking each other or something, each country is kind of "improving" their lot each turn. Of course, just like in chess, your position is only as good as it is after your opponents' best possible reply (at least until there's an attack, as it's then a probabilistic game rather than a deterministic game).

that's true by nathan (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:47:32 PM EST
However, you can only improve your position so much. I had 5 cities and that was a lot, but I started with 2. What I'm saying is that even a bad position isn't that bad and a good position isn't that good.

From a certain point of view, Carthage had a better position than I did (since Carthage generated almost all 12 item types, while I had to rely on everyone being willing to toss out their trade cards in order to win.)

Much as in ancient hydraulic despotisms generally, any improvement leads to an immediate war, meaning that regression and decay are possible despite constant production.

I'd like to see a land-war version shifted east, with the Hittites, Babylonians, Egyptians, and Assyrians as the sides. Every so often, the Elamites and Aramaeans show up to loot and burn. At a certain point, the Hurrians revolt. It would be superb.

right, but improvement... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 01:58:17 PM EST
...of everybody means it's not zero-sum. creation, destruction, blah blah blah, it doesn't all add to zero. Zero-sum really means zero.

That would be interesting. "Settlers of Canaan", however, does not look interesting: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3655/the-settlers-of-canaan

i'm almost a lawyer by nathan (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 02:39:25 PM EST

If Richard Friedman can use 'orthogonal' expressively, why can't I use 'zero-sum' expressively, ie, to mean that any development past a certain point leads inevitably to destructive warfare pushing development below that point once more?

because it's a game by gzt (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 03:00:26 PM EST
and that just gets very confusing. using game theory words in a discussion about a game without using the right meaning just makes everything sloppy. using math words in a metaphorical way to describe a legal argument isn't sloppy.

OK, you by nathan (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 03:07:30 PM EST
I couched it very well. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 03:21:02 PM EST
I said it's "almost kind of zero-sum in a way" and explained. I think that's rather clearly indicating that I don't think it is zero-sum. And then you argued that it was. Further responses. And now we're here.

And, yeah, the "writing on the wall" one was pretty good.

also, i demand recognition for by nathan (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 03:08:01 PM EST
"The writing was on the wall for Babylon."

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:10:17 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

yoga's actually good for you by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:12:33 PM EST
colonic irrigation is unpleasant, embarrassing, and ineffective.

if that's how you see picking up heavy things, it probably would be very boring.

colonic irrigation is crap by nathan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:13:59 PM EST
(Snortle.)

But seriously.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:24:58 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

i don't know whether it's harmful, by nathan (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:33:48 PM EST

Only that it's useless. The relevant language from the link:

Available scientific evidence does not support the claims on which colon therapy is based. It is known that most digestive processes take place in the small intestine, where nutrients are absorbed into the body. What remains enters the large intestine, where it passes to the rectum for elimination after water and minerals are extracted. Available scientific evidence does not support the premise that toxins accumulate on intestinal walls or that toxicity results from poor elimination of waste from the colon.

Musashi says, "Do nothing that is of no use." I believe that is check and mate, sir. Check. And. Mate.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:39:14 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

i thought i was the troll here = by nathan (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:41:25 PM EST

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:42:51 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

but on the other hand, by nathan (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 05:48:31 PM EST
You have to consider...

!

LET'S RIDE BIKES

Erm, they still do. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 12:00:04 PM EST
Because they work, and untreated ADHD is an unpleasant disorder which ruins the patient's life and that of their carers.

so are you glad by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 10:12:33 PM EST
the wifey isn't in to yoga ?

well, my feelings are complex by gzt (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 11:19:39 AM EST
on the one hand, yes, i'm glad we can talk about how inane the pseudo-new-age feel of some modern yoga is. on the other hand, i wish she would have figured that out before she got the 20-visit pass.

When you use the "word" lite, by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 10:20:10 PM EST
I judge you.

I should've said "sic" by gzt (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 08:58:10 AM EST
to clarify that I recognized that "lite" isn't a word.

TRAINING QUESTION by barooo (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 10:36:02 AM EST
What do you think about tempo work in lifting?  That's the flavour of the week over at the place that shall not be named.  Stuff like 4x4 front squats w/ a 2 second negative, a 1 second pause at the bottom, an explosive lift and no pause at the top, or chinups with a 1 second pause at the bottom and top and a 3 second negative.

Not sure what it's trying to accomplish, owner said something about sticking points on the chinups and pushups, not so sure about the front squats although I did notice myself maintaining my air pressure better and staying in a better rack without having to constantly remind myself to keep my elbows up.

The end result is it should definitely improve my Fran times.  :)

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
some people seem to like it by gzt (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 10:46:26 AM EST
I'm suspicious when people talk about tempo lifting for the positive portion - might as well always go as fast as possible. pausing at the bottom can be helpful for strengthening the bottom of the squat or pullup. slow eccentrics are more work, I guess. but I don't like tempo stuff that much.