Print Story The Big Four
By nightflameblue (Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 03:42:00 PM EST) (all tags)
I went. I saw. I rocked.

The show itself, I finally found out, was played yesterday in Bulgaria around 3:00 PM local time, meaning around here it would have been early morning. Somehow between then and 7:00 PM local here it was edited and rebroadcast to theaters to hit timezones across the nation at 7:00 PM in each timezone.

Some of the editing was lackluster after the first act and really detracted from the feeling of being there, but you can't hold that against the bands. Some clip monkey got overzealous on a few places and took out the final fade or the first few notes of a song here or there. And they really took too many liberties with removing "dead space" that's actually a part of any metal show and necessary for breathers for the audience and bands. But we won't get into that.

There were several shots of the outdoor stadium filling before the show interspersed with videos and round table talks with Lars, Scott Ian, Dave Mustaine and Kerry King to start the night. Pretty interesting hearing how it all came together for them and how they managed to build the Big Four show into a Big Four tour and how they hope to be able to do more touring as a group either next summer or the following summer.

Anthrax was first on stage, and my word did they blow me away. General agreement from those who've seen it, they were the best of the night. I would say by far, but definitely they were the ones that clicked. They had a nice little Dio tribute in the midst of Indians, and they generally created chaos and rock through their entire set.

Megadeth had terrific guitar work, stellar rhythmic work, spectacular leads, and the worst vocals I've ever heard any performer attempt to pass off live. I understand the ego thing, but I think it's time for Dave to admit he needs help in the vocal department. To quote AFKS, "WTF? It's like someone is squeezing a cat's balls while strangling it." I'd actually say the cat would probably come across a little stronger.

Slayer disappointed me after the first two. I mean, it's Slayer so it's not like it was a huge let down, but I've seen a lot of shitty youtube clips of them performing much better. Not to mention the DVDs I've purchased of them performing better. I'd also like to say leather pants need to go away once you hit the three hundred pound mark. Hanneman, that means you. Rhythmically they had it, but their leads were way worse than I've ever heard them. Some of them were nothing more than random noises that could not be referred to as notes. Still, it was Slayer.

There was a little interlude interview where everybody talked about Dio and what a huge influence he'd been. It was a pretty cool little talk about how each of the four (Lars, Scotty, Dave and Kerry) had first met Dio and how their interactions had went with him. As most anybody, famous or not, will tell you, he was a cool, calm, kind dude. I was never the world's biggest Dio fan, but I could listen to the guy talk and listen to stories about him forever.

Then Metallica hit. Their biggest negative seemed to be that Lars could not hold a steady rhythm. Every time he'd cut in the song would pick up speed until it was at the point where the guitars simply couldn't play their full parts. I get speed and like it, but not every song needs to be that fast. Seek & Destroy? No.

Towards the end of their set they pulled the other three bands out and did a song with them. Strangest thing I've ever seen was Dave Mustaine hugging Kirk Hammet while Jame's stands literally inches away smiling like a proud papa. Eighteen year old me was looking out my face with the biggest WTF stinkeye evar. Then they played Am I Evil. Eight guitars live is just about enough. Sounded absolutely huge.

After Metallica finished up alone, they came out to announce that the big four show they were filming for broadcast was also going to be cut into a DVD release called simply THE BIG FOUR. Would buy for Anthrax alone. Possibly the best live set I've ever seen by any band via video of some type without actually being there. The rest could be considered interesting bonus material.

All in all, not a bad night. AFKS went all pouty, whiney bitch afterwards when we went for our customary post-show eats. His life sucks, those guys are older than him yet can do more, he hates everything, everything sucks, he's not having any fun at all, blah, blah, blah. He's in a bad place now, and I get that, but when you decide you're going to go out and have fun, let yourself. He shut down about halfway through Megamave's set and just sat down with his arms crossed and pouted the rest of the night. I could see it, but fuck it. He wanted to go to the show, he could sit there and watch it.

Still, a decent night of rock. I'll probably grab the DVD when it comes out. If you were ever a fan, you should at least rent and check out the Anthrax set. That's some good stuff.

< In which gzt has a moustache | Riding on my bike. >
The Big Four | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Slayer by duxup (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 03:48:44 PM EST
I'm not music history buff or a huge metal fan (I do like it) but I never got why they were part of "the big four" in the historical sense.   Just not as good as the other 3 IMO, not enough to be ranked up there.  *shurg*

____
Sorta/kinda. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 03:57:18 PM EST
Slayer was different at the time because they took the whole punk, don't really play type vibe and boosted it into the stratosphere. There's a feeling when Slayer is playing that's palpable and just undeniable. Sadly, as they age, they are beginning to lose that feeling. At least last night's show didn't have it.

But, what it truly boils down to is record sales for bands considered to be "thrash" related. No other band can really touch those four on record sales, even though there are arguably bands that much better fit the concept of "best thrash" than some of the actual big four.

My thoughts would be Exodus (Kirk came from there, hello?) and/or Testament (ties with Exodus) would be much better fits with the other three than Slayer. If they throw together a stateside tour with the Big Four plus Testament and Exodus, you wouldn't be able to keep the majority of eighties metalheads away with a crowbar and a baseball bat. Good grief.

You missed out by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 04:48:36 PM EST
ST.  With Rocky on lead, Herrera and Trujillo.

One of the biggest gigs I've ever missed was Clash of the Titans - Megadeth, Metallica, ST, Testament, Exodus (IIRC).

Slayer, of all the 2 times I have seen them, suffered from muddy festival sound, tinny indoor sound and a complete lack of being able to play.

Good crowd pleasers though.

I'll be hoping for a LNP from the missus if this tour comes by my way though...

I feel the years of proper metal are being reinvigorated, do you?  We don't have the hair metal pretenders anymore, just the metalcore that're slowly going into singing, having melodies.

Bring me a new Judas Priest and I'll be made up.

Metal's definitely on the rise again. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 04:52:53 PM EST
Unfortunately, it's got a lot of grift to sort off as it comes back up.

BTW, you need the new Exodus album. Holy crap is it spectacular. Exhibit B: The Human Condition. It rips.

Only ever saw ST with Metallica and Danzig. Crazy outdoor show.

Ah but it will. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 05:18:19 PM EST
I'm seeing bands now unashamedly hammering solos; some good, some bad, but mostly good.

Tastefull and quick seems to be the order of the day; I bet Satch's sales will be on the rise.

Prediction: Satch will do a "blues" album in the next 5 years.

Ah, ST. (shakes head).

Off to youtube Exodus....

American Clash by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 10:32:14 PM EST
Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax and Alice in Chains? I think there may be a reason I skipped that tour.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Satch do something interesting again. That deal he's doing now is a yawn fest. It's like he just figured out the nineties happened now. Bleh.

I am digging the tasty leads that are starting to get spouted these days. Some suck, but at least people are trying again. We're about to hit the twenty year cycle on our music. I've been waiting.

For those other metalheads lookng for the song by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 07:23:19 AM EST
I reviewed, here you are.

Exciting times, oh yes.

"Not Available On Mobile"? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 08:45:22 AM EST
What the FUCK!?

-1; LACKS CANNIBAL CORPSE CONTENT

6:23 later. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 05:43:33 PM EST
I thought a NFB recommendation would be good.

I was wrong.

/M/ /M/ /M/

Now that was Proper Metal.  Ripping.

Good intro.
Brutal post intro riff.
Vigorous pre chorus
Classic PM's and descending half PM'd scales - CHECK.
Vocalist hasn't lost his chops.
Pre 8 - killer.
Lovely keep it alive drums before...
GRIND SECTION
Great pickup from that; then a Proper Solo
Harmony rhythm break
Straight back in!
Tasty outro riffing, punchy drumming

Sorry man, that wasn't "spectacular" that was a complete lesson start to finish (and complete) in RTFO.

You don't get those too often.

I'd swap your "spectacular" for "definitive".

Off to Amazon...

I couldn't agree less by TPD (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 06:05:58 PM EST
Reign in Blood, Reign in Blood, Reign in Blood, Reign in Blood, Reign in Blood, Reign in Blood, Reign in Blood, Reign in Blood, Reign in Blood, Reign in Blood

There 10 good reasons why they should be in the big 4

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
I got to thinking about this. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 10:34:07 PM EST
Forgive my tired brain for the late defense: every core band out there right now wishes they were Slayer. That much underlying influence means something.

BTW, Raining Blood kinda fell flat last night. They couldn't seem to get the drums to show up under the guitar wankery noise they were doing for the intro. Not getting the *KNOCK*KNOCK*KNOCK* sorta defeats the build. Dis-a-point.

Pity they didn't do themselves justice by TPD (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jun 24, 2010 at 04:53:36 AM EST
I saw them live less than 3 weeks ago... and they were absolutely spot on! Fantastic gig and one of the best I have been to... and in a relatively compact venue trust me those knocks reverberated through my very existence.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
No, every song needs to be that fast. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 05:47:49 PM EST
Tell me - what is the fucking point of slow "metal"?

Apparently, it's to piss you off. by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 06:20:36 PM EST
Hello! It's right there in the spec, dude.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
You went to Bulgaria? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 10:21:37 PM EST
Your wife must be pretty accommodating of your jet-setting lifestyle.

The Big Four | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback