Print Story Proofreading
Books
By ana (Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 07:44:13 PM EST) Writing (all tags)
What an odd thing.

So starting in August of 2003, as followers of these diaries might recall, I wrote a blog in character. It went on fairly intensively for a couple years, ultimately ending the initial chapter about 5 years, in June 2008.

It occurred to me after writing 3 or 4 NaNos and getting them printed for my own use, and for pass-around copies for friends to read, that the diary might be fun to have, actually printed, on the shelf. So I reformatted it using Scrivener, which is nothing short of a wonderful writers' word processing and manuscript management system; it also lets you put in research materials; it's all right there. I've used it for several Nanos as well, and two point seven revisions of the latest one.

Anyway, what do to for cover art. Fortunately, toxicfur solved this problem for me, presenting as partial fulfillment of my birthday swag, cover pictures for two volumes: the diaries, and a future revision of the latest novel.

Which leaves me doing that one last proofread. Which is mostly for formatting issues. I'm using Scrivener to keep track of a manuscript in multi-markdown format (it's a very simple markup language that can be translated into html, latex, rtf, and several other formats). Thence to LaTeX and so to a pdf file for upload to lulu.com. Along the way, if memory serves, some formatting of, oh, say, poetry or whatever, got lost, and I seem to recall last winter in the previous "nearly final" draft having to fix the latex version. Uh, what I did to it, I have no idea.

But it's fun, re-reading stuff I wrote in 2004, the words and the character (or is it a side persona? I no longer know) who won for me the attention of toxicfur. And it's also profoundly odd, re-reading this novel sized (c. 172,000 words) narrative, written a page or two at a shot, for five years.

Anyway. Nearly done now. I'm sure there are plot flaws (to the extent that there's a plot at all), but it was fun, and I learned a lot about telling a story.
< Simple problems for simple minds | Story Origin >
Proofreading | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Your character got her attention, eh? by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 08:22:27 PM EST
That's awesome. You should include that info in the acknowledgments or intro.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

It's in there. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 08:38:00 PM EST
:-)

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

w00t! by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 09:04:46 PM EST
at least someone is getting something done around here!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

...getting things done... by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 09:42:43 PM EST
i'm not so sure this counts; putting it together for the one reader. not that i'm unwilling to share; it's just of limited interest, in my humble opinion.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I'm glad you're putting them together. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 09:34:05 PM EST
And I'm glad you thought my cover art was worthwhile. :) It'll be fun to read back through them for me, too.
So what was the username? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 09:22:36 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It was another site by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 09:25:24 AM EST
which firefox now says is a reported spam site. 'Twas fun while it lasted. :-/

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin