Print Story Simple problems for simple minds
Linux
By greyrat (Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 07:03:35 PM EST) (all tags)
I've got a shiny new laptop running Ubuntu 9.10. Wireless networking works like a champ. Wired networking, not so much.

I've got network manager handling connections -- for good or ill. Both wired and wireless were configured through said network manager. The wireless works like a champ, even after being edited for a static IP. But as soon as I plug in a network cable, I can't get anywhere. Ping says "unknown host" to anything I put in. I've got all the lights and settings I'd expect for a working connection, but no working connection. And as soo as I unplug the wire, the wireless connection takes over again and everything is fine.

So, help me Obi Wan Kenobi. Y'all'uns are my only hope.

< The Alternative Factor | Proofreading >
Simple problems for simple minds | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
For Linux advice by marvin (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 07:29:49 PM EST
Try here. Also, why install 9.10 when 10.4 has been out for a few months now, and is a LTS release?

All of the shell stuff should still work - ifconfig, ifup ifdown, etc, so you can ignore the fancy window dressing and diagnose the old fashioned way. I'm not an expert, but the first places I'd look would be DHCP or DNS. Try manual DHCP on your wired connection (eth0) and see what happens.

This, of course, is what I was trying to avoid. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 07:48:13 AM EST
I'd rather use the distro as provided on the machine it was provided with. I can take out network manager and do it all by hand like I have on all my other installations, but what's the fun in that?

So, thanks for the help. But you need to step it up if you really want to be thought of as a dick.

Pre-installed by marvin (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 09:48:33 AM EST
Why would you want to use a distro that has likely been tweaked in some manner by people from a company like Dell or HP?

Drop in a 10.4 live cd and see if it works.

Having installed 10.4 on several VMs by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 11:41:30 AM EST
I find that it's not really ready for prime time.

Linux on the desktop by marvin (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 04:04:28 PM EST
Will it ever be ready for the prime time?

Sure. It's more ready than any by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Jun 23, 2010 at 06:51:30 PM EST
Microsoft product right now.

blah, blah, blah... by clock (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 07:36:08 PM EST
get a mac, yadda, yadda, yadda...not ready for the desktop...

did i miss any?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Maybe he likes having two mouse buttons? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 07:48:57 PM EST
Or doesn't feel the need to own the same hardware as all of those hipster style wannabes who think that a piece of overpriced electronics makes them cool.

but see by nathan (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 07:55:08 PM EST
Your point by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 08:01:48 PM EST
If you had one, I must have missed it.

anyone can have an arbitrary number of by nathan (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 08:53:27 PM EST
Mouse buttons. Hey, apparently you can even have a integral thumb joystick.

zing! by clock (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 09:03:20 PM EST
slashdot here we come!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

If that isn't annoying. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 08:20:05 PM EST
I hate wireless stuff, although I did get a shiny new phone that's all wireless.

Sorry, I'm no help.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly