Print Story The Alternative Factor
Love
By gzt (Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 01:01:50 PM EST) gzt, noon, anonymous, victorian, stoicism (all tags)
If you think about it, the thing doesn't make much sense. Friggin' Star Trek. The conclusion makes sense, but the conceit of having the two Lazaruses switch off at the beginning is nonsensical given the explanation at the end.

Also, what was up with the beard? Not one of the best episodes of Star Trek. Having already seen "The City on the Edge of Forever", all we have left of season one is "Operation: Annihilate!".

Work is insisting now on having ID badges visible and above the waist. I habitually wear mine on a belt loop, which makes sense, because that's the height of the access things on door. I do think people should always wear their identification and I would always have to, anyway, being in a secured area. Lots of people are lax about it and I don't like it. But, c'mon, belt loops should be fine. I hope I don't have to start wearing it on a lanyard. That would be weaksauce.

I grabbed Consider the Lobster on my way out the door. DFW really is a good essayist. I really liked his essays on Kafka and Dostoevsky. They make me want to look at that expansive literary biography of Dostoevsky.

Italian soccer practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ukFUEI5qz8

I like this review of a new Marcus Aurelius biography written by somebody hostile to Stoicism (clarification: the biographer is hostile to Stoicism, not the reviewer). http://incharacter.org/review/stoicism-is-just-so-yesterday/ I'm not a fan of Stoicism, in that I am a Christian and not a Stoic, but I am a fan of Stoicism over, say, Nihilism. I wish Stoicism had the cache in the West that Buddhism does. I also wish more of the people who think they're kind of into Buddhism and all that were serious about it. Same with Christians, really. But there's a sense in which, for a WAS-former-P to claim to sort of be Buddhist, you kind of expect some level of actual adherence to it, whereas you don't need to expect as much Protestantism from a WASP. If a Thai person said they were a Buddhist but were evidently rather lax on the whole thing, I wouldn't care much. NOTE: I have a white coworker who sort of says she's a Buddhist or something and such and I am not referring to her. I am referring more to my contemporaries who don't know that the Vedas are not Buddhist scriptures and don't know much beyond what would be mentioned in an "Intro to Religion" class at your local community college.

I suppose Stoicism has the taint of its popularity in the Victorian era, whereas Buddhism and other Indian philosophy has the excitement of not being Victorian, which explains its popularity and emergence in literature in the early 20th century. I'm looking at you, TS Eliot (Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.). Yes, some translations of Indian literature came out, too, at the time, they also trickled out in the 19th and 18th centuries (Goethe famously, as has been discussed before in these diaries, liked Kalidasa) and had similar effects.

Anonymous Online Posters: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2010/06/20/inside_the_mind_of_the_anonymous_online_poster/?page=full I really don't like the comments sections on newspaper websites. They add little value, are hard to read, and are plagued by the nasty sort of comments mentioned in the article.

Crap, I have once again let myself make it to noon before getting lunch. Lunch at noon rather than 11:30 means fighting crowds.

Tonight: picking up heavy things.

< lolz | Simple problems for simple minds >
The Alternative Factor | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
badgers ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 01:18:13 PM EST
we don't need no stinking badgers..

I've worked in higher security designation buildings than yours, and have managed to not wear a lanyard. Badge goes on my belt or pocket.

FWIW, I have a near claustrophobic fear of crap around my neck like a lanyard. I can wear a necklace, but no lanyards. Gah.

ditto on no lanyards. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 02:51:00 PM EST

I had a comment by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 03:14:05 PM EST
But must've navigated away before hitting send. Oops.

Basic gist was how they want it visible and how lame I think that is as belt-high is perfectly visible. I understand enforcing standards about badge-wearing and would not go around without my badge because I would be locked out of my area.

The lanyards they give aren't so bad in that they have relatively easy detachment (some sort of plastic snap) that carries no risk of strangulation. But, never never never.

Trim it with flashing LEDs. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 06:00:22 PM EST
Light that fucker up like a Christmas tree. Be a dick about it. Fuck the HR pukes.

I'm waiting for subcutaneous implanted RFID by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 01:19:54 PM EST
badges. Nothing to lose, hard to forget, what could possibly go wrong.

Stuff by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 01:25:56 PM EST
I assume everyone's seen the Star Trek Tik Tok Mashup by now.

There was a Stoic Christian group on Yahoo Groups dedicated to the dialogue and synthesis between the two, but it ironically imploded after a flamewar about a week ago. IIRC some there thought it was possible to be a Stoic and Christian, at least in some senses.

Definitely compatible in some senses. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 01:36:23 PM EST
There's definite room for dialogue between the two, especially with Catholicism and Orthodoxy in their ascetic traditions. But the response, ultimately, to both Stoicism and Buddhism would be like Fr Seraphim Rose's to Buddhism: "It’s fine as far as it goes, but it does not go far enough." At least, in my opinion.

The Alternative Factor | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback