Print Story Random stuff, not much trolling.
Travel
By dmg (Mon Jun 21, 2010 at 05:33:30 PM EST) (all tags)
Got Red Dead Redemption today. Also got Julian Cope's book the Megalithic European.

I had a pleasant day trip to Belgium at the weekend. Ate some mussels and drank some trappist ales. My hardcore Euroskepticism survived untainted - possibly even strengthened by the experience. I am awestruck at the sheer engineering awesomeness of the Channel tunnel though. For some unknown psychological reason, I have an affinity for tunnels. I think its the idea that the earth might actually be hollow, and these tunnels could be an access point into some otherwise inaccessible physical realm. We are all familiar with the goings on at Dulce, and in days gone by in ancient Greece, and also closer to home. I'm always intrigued by ghost stations on the underground.

The goings on at Dulce might seem far-fetched, but viewed in the context of what is unclassified, it's less of a leap of imagination to think there might be something in it...
< on kids | Here it is Monday already. >
Random stuff, not much trolling. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Abandoned London Tube Stations by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Jun 21, 2010 at 05:43:19 PM EST
And even entire lines.

That's a very interesting site. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 21, 2010 at 07:24:14 PM EST
Now I'm starting to give the impression of being a train spotter...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Let the by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 06:26:49 AM EST
Inner train-spotter come out! Next week you'll be able to name all the diesel locos on the West Coast Main Line.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 21, 2010 at 05:43:46 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

When you point the finger by dmg (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 21, 2010 at 07:18:28 PM EST
There are three pointing back at you...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Oooh! by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 06:23:43 AM EST
It's just like the scene in Reservoir Trolls!

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 06:28:11 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Sorry. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 06:56:44 AM EST
My doc made me switch to decaf and I'm well past the nicotine issues at this point.

Makes for some lack-lustre aggro on my part.

My gal just finished story mode on RDR. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jun 21, 2010 at 05:45:18 PM EST
She's wrapping up some side-quests she by-passed the first go-around. She whole-heartedly enjoyed it. Good luck finding certain critters on the hunting quests.

Fucking boars. (nt) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 11:52:18 AM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
LOL by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 05:23:03 PM EST
Yeah, those too, but IIRC she mostly bitched about 'coons.

Yeah by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 07:13:13 PM EST
Sadly, I shot the right number before it was a challenge, and know I can't find the fat bastards anywhere.

(Except in my own damn back yard.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Moral dimension of RDR by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 12:04:19 PM EST
I am about halfway through of RDR, and I am enjoying it a lot, but there are bits that annoy me.  There is a bit of a disconnect between the "free range" bits, where you get to do whatever you want, and the story, which is essentially linear.  This causes a disconnect mostly in the moral dimension.  When running free, you can be Mr. Evil, shooting up the town, roping up the women and placing on the tracks in front of the oncoming train, or you can by Dudley Do Right, running off after the horse thief on the first request, making sure to capture and not kill the perp as you bring him back.  Unfortunately, the main quest forces you into the morally gray character the designers want you to play.

This means that the Mr. Perfect you are playing in free range is forced to steal horses or play both sides of a peasants revolt.  On the other hand, the evil scumbag you are playing is forced to rescue the Mexican peasant girl.

For instance, though "Infamous" was inferior to RDR in this, I enjoyed that it had story paths that fit whether you played the evil bastard or the hero.

I am also amused that while this western land is full of brothels, they've made the main character refuse to do business with them.  I can't help but think they are trying to avoid some of the GTAIV bad press.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Interestingly by dmg (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 04:02:14 PM EST
I haven't come up on this yet, having just started it, but that whole moral aspect is very interesting. Let's face it though hardly anyone is going to want to play a 'good' character. Where's the fun in that? Perhaps they should have just had degrees of badness...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I rescue Mexican peasant girls all the time. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jun 22, 2010 at 05:52:57 PM EST
I safeguard 'em in my basement.

Belgium is ace by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Jun 25, 2010 at 05:47:21 AM EST
How anyone can think it's boring is beyond me. The food is brilliant.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!