Print Story An appeal
Cycling
By nebbish (Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 10:29:25 AM EST) (all tags)
A friend of a friend was recently seriously injured in an altercation with a taxi driver when he was on his bike. It seemed like a pretty straightforward case but a number of police failings have made a complete mess of things.

He's appealing for witnesses. Please read and pass on if you're in London. Thanks.

< WFC X Voting- Danny Cobb Comes to Town | Somebody get the license on that truck? >
An appeal | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I read that and thought WTF? by hulver (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 10:54:26 AM EST
They've charged the victim with assaulting the guy who strangled him until he was unconscious.

Frankly very bizarre.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

you silly brits by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 11:01:20 AM EST
If you beat up the man who broke into your home in the US, they give you a medal (especially if you shot him).

In the UK, you go to jail.

I can only think by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 11:55:04 AM EST
That as the only witness (whose details haven't been lost by the police), they're going with the guy who thought he saw Jared throw a punch.

My suspicion is that as the police failed to secure the CCTV footage and lost the other witness's details, they'll deny that either existed.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

What I would love to say by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 12:23:40 PM EST
Is that I didn't believe him and the police were making a judgement call over who was to blame in a 50-50 scrap.

But in reality I realise that the system's far more likely to be to taking the side of a taxi driver than that of a cyclist. This sucks. Particularly because I believe him when he says he wasn't confrontational. It makes me realise how much more zen I need to be when I'm on the bike because I do get a bit angry when that kind of thing happens. I really hope he finds the witness.

Even if he was by hulver (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 12:33:42 PM EST
Even if he shouted in the cabbies face and swung a punch at him, being choked until he was unconscious was not reasonable force.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
what gets me ... by R343L (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 12:50:21 PM EST
Is that even if the cyclist "started it" (by throwing a punch), throttling someone into unconsciousness is not a proportional response so at the minimum both should have been charged. I think in the US that would be the case (in general anyway, assuming the police aren't incompetent or being evil).

If you start it by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 03:35:13 PM EST
and the other guy finishes it, no harm no foul, as long as no one is seriously injured or killed.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

in my experience by R343L (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 04:23:33 PM EST
Authority figures (in the US at least) look unkindly at people who choke someone to the point of unconsciousness for throwing one punch (all that is reportedly actually witnessed by a third-party). Actually, more to the point, in my experience the cops have an attitude of "let them both rot" when two people get into a brawl. It seems odd that isn't the case here.

It's a compliance/submission hold by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 05:44:00 PM EST
which de-escalates the violence. Perfectly cromulent when the assailant poses a continued threat. In fact, it's even state-sanctioned around the globe.

Can't tell shit from that. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 01:13:52 PM EST

It's all hearsay at this point. Strangely, that doesn't seem to have stopped a lot of people from getting saddle-sore over it.

The best thing would be for this witness to be located. I'll pass it around my London contacts.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
people get sore over hearsay all the time. by aphrael (4.00 / 2) #11 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 12:06:59 AM EST
i mean ...

i managed to stumble across a flame war involving my friend's death ... it was an age-old fight about whether bicyclists get what they deserve because they are aggressive assholes who flout the law and take unnecessary risks, or whether bicyclists are innocent victims of aggressive car-driving assholes.

virtually nobody in the flame war knew the details of erik's death or even bothered trying to fit the details into their meticulously preformed meta-narratives.

I've been getting this on another forum by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 09:34:36 AM EST
I'm just, you know, STFU. I've posted it as an appeal for witnesses for a friend. You want to extrapolate over what happened based on the wording of a blog post?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Fair enough by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 05:07:49 AM EST
He's only appealing for witnesses though, which says enough really.

Thanks for passing it on - trust me, he's a nice bloke.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

how can we trust you? by garlic (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 06:12:26 PM EST
you're a known hoodie wearer...

An appeal | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback