Print Story Haters gonna hate.
Fishies
By gzt (Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 03:19:09 PM EST) gzt, softball, smythe, panhandler (all tags)
The "Haters gonna hate" eagle is, for whatever reason, my favorite image at the moment.

Company department's "olympics" yesterday. Tug of war, softball, kickball. My team won the first but lost the second tug of war, a bunch of us lost footing. Won at softball and kickball. I didn't hit too well this year. Last year I hit two home runs. I went either 2/4 or 3/4 or something like that with two doubles this year. I got a run, I forget whether I got an RBI. Opposing pitcher was very wily, great at pouncing on grounders that would otherwise get to infielders and cause close plays at first. It was a low scoring game, extra innings, 4-3. Kickball was a massacre. There's a departmental softball game after work in two weeks. I will bring the A-game. I will destroy. And the wily pitcher is on my team.

Some homeless guy rather annoyingly and vigorously panhandled me this morning. He got in close and start singing "Hey Jude", I misheard it as "Jew" and thought it was some really bad evangelist before I recognized the song and told him I wasn't a Jew, then felt bad because that wasn't what he was saying. I watched my pockets and his hands very closely because he was in close. I felt bad about the misunderstanding, so I gave him a dollar, and he asked for more change as he already had a dollar (it takes $2.25 to get on the train). He said Obama was president. I said that's all I have for him and he said, "Fuck you." Then I felt bad for rewarding his bad behavior by having given him a dollar in the first place.

Today is the first day in a week I will be able to get in some training. I'm a little sore from all the sprinting yesterday. I also have exactly one month until the weightlifting competition. So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight. Because my pressing strength is so low, I'll be working on it still, but I will emphasize the squat a bit less. I only expect to gain maybe 20# on the squat or even just maintain. Or I might just maintain and try to trim up a bit. If I focussed strongly on efficient technique, I could do 100/125 easy with the leg strength I have now (shoulder strength is less), but I'm inefficient and slow, so if I were to max today, I'd probably only hit 75/105 (easy to tell what's wrong just by looking at the numbers). Maybe 80 if I did split snatch. The solution is lots of snatching.

It is almost time to shave the beard. It is warm out. And the day star is darkening my skin. Usually when I shave, I may have a day or two where keep the hair in some amusing configuration, like absurd mutton chops. I think I might try a moustache this time. But I also want mutton chops. I would just look silly.

Seriously, what is it that's different about the action it takes to post a new comment to a diary in Scoop (as opposed to replying to a comment or posting a new diary) that makes it not work on my company's network while the other things work? Anybody? Any clues what's going on? Barooo can confirm from his time at the company that this is not just my problem.

Seems the Blackhawks won. Good for them.

< I'm not sure which of the reactions I prefer. | You read it first here. >
Haters gonna hate. | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Do not feed the panhandlers. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:16:03 PM EST
Why? Just like we ban feeding bears, ducks, geese, coyotes and alligators. It makes them aggressive and overly-dependent upon us for survival, then they will eventually require euthanasia.

What's the point of getting 70s big... by chuckles (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:43:41 PM EST
if you're not going to punch out the in-your-face panhandlers?

are you eating enough? by nathan (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 06:44:30 PM EST
Omelettes, GOMAD, quant. suff. of meat, or when the aforementioned are inappropriate, quant. suff. of peanut butter.

at a certain point... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 07:10:24 PM EST
...you can cut back quantities of food based on short-term goals (or long-term). but you always need the protein. you've seen me, i'm close to as big as i need to be in most dimensions, so i can, based on my short-term goals, cut back a little bit.

QUANT SUFF! QUANT SUFF! by nathan (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 07:17:53 PM EST
I really just wanted an excuse to type "quant. suff."

You are pretty big. I need to get much bigger.

TheophileEscargot also had comment issues. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 07:28:51 PM EST
A while back. Must be proxies. I've stopped personal web browsing at workon work computers, after they blocked http://theregister.co.uk/ at the end of a particularly slow month for me, citing excessive browsing, so I don't know if their filter affects it.

Anyway, no-one managed to replicate the TE thing.

When I was running a home proxy by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 03:12:43 AM EST
I could post comments through it OK, but I couldn't post diaries. These days if I'm not at home I just post from my phone though, have never run the proxy on this computer.
HA! by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 02:44:31 PM EST