Print Story I'm not sure which of the reactions I prefer.
By nightflameblue (Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 12:15:46 PM EST) (all tags)
Of course, the term "prefer" is really not correct in any sense. My true preference would be for, at most, a, "that's cool," and let it go. Or, you know, be a decent human being and say nothing about it at all.

Inside, I speak on a subject I mostly avoid speaking about.

I'm really not an attention type of person. I mean, sure, I like to be acknowledged when I do something remarkable as much as the next guy. I write a riff that I think is killer, bang your head. I draw something that's cool, look at it. I program my way out of a predicament created by random business related hijinks, use it. I really don't need much more than that.

So, on February 23rd, when I made the decision that this was happening, I didn't do it to get acknowledgment from anybody. The fact is, I had a bit of a self-awareness shock that night. I tried to sing a song I'd written and I just couldn't get the lines out with any conviction. I don't mean the emotion was gone, I mean there wasn't enough air. I simply had no lung capacity. Where I needed to sing for about twenty-five seconds without a breath, I could get out maybe ten. And at the end of that ten it was strained and obviously weakened. And ugly as hell.

So, I stopped. I unplugged. I assessed. I came to a realization.

This shit needed to change.

When I first moved into the world of desk jobs, I remember telling people, "it's time to get a desk job and get fat." I never thought I actually meant that last bit. Just a throw away statement made in jest. Ha, ha. Funny, funny.

Here's your opening folks: At 307 pounds, it wasn't so fucking funny. Sadly, this was not my all time high point, just the point where I finally woke the hell up.

It's not like there hadn't been previous moments of awareness. I'd tried before. Several times in fact. I'd usually make it to about ten pounds down then fall flat on my face. But I was convinced that this time was different. And I was right.

I'm nowhere near my ultimate goal. The truth is I still don't know what my final goal is. I started with an itemized list. I will do these things.

• Be able to sing those fucking lines. (CHECK)
  • Fit into my I'll fit into those again someday clothes. (Half-checked)
  • Be comfortable when I see myself in a mirror or in pictures. (Not checked)
  • Not feel like utter shit all the time. (Half-checked)
  • Be able to walk up the stairs at work without getting winded like I'd run a marathon. (CHECK, WITH GREAT EMPHASIS!)

So I came up with a plan of attack. Eating out went from a near daily occurrence to a once a week at most thing. The two to three Mountain Dews a day became none for a while, one diet or Coke Zero type a week in the past month or so just to have something with a pizza or some popcorn on those rare occasions. Meals at home started with veggies, salads, fruits and fish or poultry, and our mostly red meat and pasta meals became less and less frequent. Exercises of various types became a standard routine every morning. Sometimes I spend way more time on that than I want to, but until I'm to the "just maintaining" stage, that's a sacrifice that must be made.

And I shut the hell up about how fat I am, how much I dislike how fat I am, and I got to it.

So, if I'm not at my goal, why am I writing about it now?

A couple weeks back I started getting comments from people. Only a few at first. Mrs. NFB of course has been very generous with the compliments all along, but she knows how hard I'm working because she sees it every day. The first shock came from one of the most shy gals I've ever met working in the cube row two over. She yelled, "looking good NFB. What have you been doing?" That'll boost the ego and I have no problem with comments like that.

Then some, "you been losing weight?" comments from the commoners. Again, nothing wrong with that. I always say, "yeah, thanks for noticing," and go on with things. It's cool, and nice to know when people do notice. Hey, like I said, I dig acknowledgment even when I'm not looking or it.

Then, last week, the problems started. It didn't really bother me at the time, but line3 dude, AKA, Eagles Guy (EG), is a mouth at the best of times. He's one the IT department loathes because he thinks he understand technology and tries to carry on technobabble conversations with us when we head out to do some work on the floor. It wouldn't be so bad if he weren't so completely and utterly wrong on every level. But, I digress. . . .

So, I'm out fixing his printer, which he's once again allowed to become jammed to the point where I need a knife, an allen wrench, a screwdriver, and a hammer to fix, and he starts asking about my weight.

"So, how much weight have you lost now?"

"Something like forty-seven pounds by this morning's count."

"Damn, I woulda thought at least fifty the way you're looking." Smooth. Hey, he's trying.

A few minutes pass as he works and I keep digging with the knife. He comes back. "So, dude, what's your secret?"

"Couple hours of exercising my face off every day. Treadmill for an hour and a half, floor exercises, some free weights. Nothing too fancy. And cutting out sugars for the most part."

I could see that look. That look that said, you poor bastard.

"Shit," he says. "I thought maybe you found some secret that didn't involve exercise." Now, let me give you a little context. I was, and still am by all reasonable measures, fat. This dude, he's F-A-T. If I had to guess I'd say four hundred, though more isn't an ridiculous guess either. He shakes his head at me then asks, "so how hard was it to cut out sugar?"

"Not as hard as you'd think. I get some sweet every day from fruits. Strawberries, apples, oranges, that sort of thing. Just a little a day. First couple days sucked hard, but it got easier after that."

He nodded. "You know, what you need to do. . ." and that's where it started.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not the type to disregard good advice just out of spite. However, I'm not about to take advice on this particular subject from a dude way bigger than me and by all appearances headed the wrong direction. I'll spare you the mostly wrong advice he gave me and just say when you go to talk to a person who's clearly losing weight at a fairly steady rate, don't go in assuming that what they really need is to be told how they're doin' it rong.

The second reaction that gets my goat is the reaction of the touchy feelies. Our HR department is filled with people that clearly need more to do. That's been obvious for quite some time. One of their favorite passtimes is their wellness program pushing. Make people healthier, all well and good. The problem is that most of the time, the actual programs fail. A certain someone in the office tried the programs for several months, finally dropped out and went to an outside program, then, within a couple months, dropped almost forty pounds. Then they had them come in and give a speech to the entire company about how important it is to trust the company wellness programs. The whole thing felt fishy and dishonest to me, but whatever. It didn't actually concern me, so I let it go.

As I roll around towards the fifty pounds off mark, I'm starting to get some comments. Comments like, "you could really do some good telling people how to stay motivated." "You should really help us promote this wellness initiative." "You could really help bring people into the fold."

The more reasonable folks have heard my take on this. If they force me to get up in front of people and speak, I'm going to come right out and tell the truth. "Don't do this shit because they tell you to. Don't do it because it's good for you. You have to want it for you. If you don't, tell them to back off and leave you alone because all they're doing is tooting their own horns about how great they think they are and trying to rub your faces in it."

I'm pretty sure they've gotten the message.

So, to end on a positive note.

It was about a month and a half ago or so I had to go buy a belt to hold up pants that I couldn't even get into when I started this slog. It was around a month ago I caught myself singing that line I couldn't sing that night back in February. I carried six laptops, their power supplies and mice, and two power strips upstairs yesterday and barely felt it. I know it wouldn't have been that long ago and I'd have been laying on the floor gasping by the time I got to the top trying something like that.

I'm at a point where I lose about two pounds a week now. I'm happy with that because it means I'm not crashing and burning myself out. I can control how much I lose by logging my eating and paying attention to it. If I have an off week, I can adjust the next week accordingly. And it just keeps working for me.

Now, if I could just avoid anymore pep talks from people who can't, and avoid anymore attempts to make me into a pep-talk guy myself, I'd be good.

And now that I've written it, I can't remember what my real point was. Commence the unsolicited advice and doin' it rong comments now!

< on some things | Haters gonna hate. >
I'm not sure which of the reactions I prefer. | 59 comments (59 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
getting comments by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 12:34:35 PM EST
I keep telling my hubby that he's losing weight. his family keeps saying "holy crap, you look great!" His pants are too big. He's slowly gotten down to a weight he hasn't been at in about 10 years...but because it was slow, and he can still see a bit of a gut, he doesn't see the loss as much as bystanders.

not sure where i was going with that, but enjoy the comments, and enjoy your progress. You're doing awesome.
---------

I get that. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 12:37:46 PM EST
I still feel fat because it's a slow, slow, slow thing in my world. But to somebody that sees me every fifteen days or so, they notice it every time. So I get both your comment, and your hubby's perspective.

what's funny by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 12:56:48 PM EST
is that right now, i feel quite fat myself. I have an excuse, but i'd really like to lose that last 10 lbs of baby fat. and I have the opposite problem- gradually my clothes are starting to fit better, but the scale doesn't budge. Am i getting more muscular from all the 10 lb baby curls?
---------
Likely. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 12:59:04 PM EST
Back when I first got on the bicycle again, I didn't lose any weight at all but got a lot smaller. Muscle really seems to add weight. Just ask the seventies big guys.

Cut out the sugar by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 12:40:58 PM EST
and replace the alcohol with marijuana, that's what you should have said.

Mary Jane = munchies by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 12:52:27 PM EST
That's no good at all.

Occasionally by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #25 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 07:35:08 PM EST
georgeha has been known to make gratuitously unhelpful suggestions. I'm beginning to suspect he's a troll. Give me another 10 years of knowing him, and I'll tell you for sure.

Meh. by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #49 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 12:12:41 PM EST
Munchies can be carrots, still better, alcohol is SOOOOO much sugar and SOOOO much calories.

Also, way to go! I have also been fighting this fight, and though I still also feel fat I'm delighted to be able to take clothes out of my, used-to-be-this size-box, such a good feeling. Keep on keepin' on!

*twinkle*twinkle*

All I wanted to say was by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 01:07:16 PM EST
Good for you! No matter how you're doing it, it just matters that you are and it's working for you. The end.

Also, I'd like some split starfish pics please.

Dunno about that. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 01:18:54 PM EST
Split starfish pics feels a bit like I'm trying to sneak upskirt photos or something. It just feels wrong.

One of the hermies went mental last night and kept climbing into shells that he couldn't hold upright because they were too big. I couldn't bring myself to take pictures of that either. Poor little guy.

Congratulations! by Alan Crowe (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 01:22:25 PM EST
I'm 50 years old and although I don't currently have a weight problem (70kg = 154lb) I watch my weight and fuss about my diet. As far as I can see, at my age, if you put on weight you cannot get it back off, you are stuck with it for the rest of your life. (At least at my age that is not going to be for too long :-)

I'm not going to change my view just because you are managing to lose weight. That strikes me as an exceptional and splendid achievement.

good job dude. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 01:23:31 PM EST
I agree about the having to want it yourself, not because of external pressure. Get that part down, get some sort of diet/exercise plan that works for you and your good to go.

this is what the good... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 03:04:21 PM EST
..."wellness" and such promoters say, too. pity that the bad ones make people like nfb quite rightly rile against them.

Our wellness program people by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:12:02 PM EST
they're like a weird cult. The idea of joining the group and being a part of the greater whole is FAR more important than actually trying to be healthy. So much so they give smokers the non-smoking insurance benefit if they join the "how to quit smoking" class. They don't actually have to quit smoking, just join the class.

I'll leave analysis of how fucked that is to the reader.

frankly, that's the way to do it. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:51:49 PM EST
And, generally, that's the way you have to do it legally. Without getting into too much detail because it's been years since I had to look into this, if you discriminate in some way against smokers, you have to give them an "out" that doesn't require them to quit smoking because it is a medical condition.

Anyway. Classes aren't a terribly effective method of getting people to quit smoking, but they are somewhat helpful and worthwhile enough that the company probably does make good on giving them the discount.

Medical condition? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 07:34:00 PM EST
I don't know about smoking, but here in the UK, alcohol is explicitly excluded from disability or sickness protection.

like i said, no details! by gzt (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 07:37:43 PM EST
If you want to charge them more for insurance, you have to provide a way out like that.

The mind is boggling. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #27 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 07:55:28 PM EST
And why exactly is it better to have your employer control your healthcare than your state? (Sorry, rude question to ask. Just, you know,...)

Because you can choose your employer by lm (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 08:21:32 PM EST
In the USA, employment is a choice.

But you don't get to choose which state your born a citizen in.

Cicero, The Republic
OTOH, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #39 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 08:09:38 AM EST
Once you're a citizen, you know you're as good as guaranteed citizenship for life. You can of course become a citizen of another state if you want. I know at least one person who's become a British citizen despite the fact he's never had a job paying much above minimum wage.

shush, you by lm (4.00 / 2) #40 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 08:28:07 AM EST
If citizenship is a choice, it means that obeying the law is something more like a contract than like coercion and, consequently, we pay taxes voluntarily rather than being forced to do so by The Man save for those who live in nations without freedom of exit.

But every knows that taxation is theft!

Cicero, The Republic
I fancy registering a domain. by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #41 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 09:52:11 AM EST
ifyouhategovernmentsomuchwhydontyoucomelivehere.so (Somalia)

You can't* escape US taxes. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #44 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 10:16:06 AM EST
I realize you covered this caveat with your comment about freedom of exit, but you have to renounce US citizenship (which is difficult and usually a bad idea) to get out of paying US taxes. This is irrelevant if you're only making a middle class income in a foreign country, but, theoretically, you're on the hook if you're an American.

Renouncing US citizenship is pretty easy by lm (2.00 / 0) #54 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 05:43:18 PM EST
Per the NY Times:
Relinquishing citizenship is relatively simple. The person must appear before a U.S. consular or diplomatic official in a foreign country and sign a renunciation oath. This does not allow a person to escape old tax bills or military obligations. [My emphasis]

Hundreds of people do it every year. That number may increase into the thousands this year.

Cicero, The Republic
simple, not easy or wise by gzt (2.00 / 0) #57 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 09:47:41 PM EST
You can't escape old tax bills, but you can escape new ones.

Uhm, yeah by lm (2.00 / 0) #58 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 09:53:00 PM EST
Escaping old bills would be like reneging on a contract. That's bastardly.

Cicero, The Republic
you can always buy your own by gzt (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 08:27:52 PM EST
It's somewhat of a historical accident. Partly to do with unions, other trade associations forming benefit societies to buy into group insurance, partly to do with wage caps in the post-WWII era that had employers competing by providing benefits for employees. there are some good and bad effects of this sort of system, just as with a system like england's.

no, you can't always buy your own by lm (4.00 / 2) #35 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 10:45:27 PM EST
If you're in good health, young, and have no pre-existing conditions, then you can buy your own insurance.

My wife, as one example, is uninsurable on the private market. She can not even get a plan that only covers catastrophic contingencies.

Other folks, like myself, have to pay a large premium for the same insurance other people get for a plan that explicitly does not cover pre-existing conditions like anything to do with hearing loss.

Insurance is one market that is not free. Part of this is government regulation. But a larger part is that the sellers are not willing to sell to any buyer but want to discriminate.

Cicero, The Republic
you win this round by gzt (2.00 / 0) #36 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 11:51:07 PM EST

Speaking of which by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #48 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 11:55:27 AM EST
How is ObamaCare working out so far?

It mostly doesn't take effect yet by lm (4.00 / 1) #55 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 05:44:34 PM EST
For most USians, what treatment their HMO allows is a far more pressing concern than what Obama allows.

Cicero, The Republic
A health insurance company I used to work for by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #45 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 10:50:08 AM EST
Had annual health tests (including a blood test to determine presence of nicotine) that were used to determine what your insurance premium amount was.  In descending order:
  • Refused test
  • Test positive
  • Test negative
Was this illegal?

possibly by gzt (2.00 / 0) #46 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 11:43:26 AM EST
Depends on a number of factors. It's been a while since I did this stuff. They might've been careful about how they did it.

And, again, it might be an artifact... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #51 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 01:47:53 PM EST
...of doing business in one of the states we do business in. Not going to look up the details.

New York (nt) by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #59 Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 08:05:23 AM EST

+1, 'right' is definied by 'what works' by nathan (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 02:52:48 PM EST
And it sounds like you're kicking ass. By definition, then, you're doing it right.

Bravo by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 03:54:37 PM EST
Losing weight is the toughest thing to do, period. I suppose overcoming a drug addiction would be as difficult, but I've never done that :-)

Unsolicited advice: I keep my weight off by weighing myself daily and logging it via the "Hacker's Diet".

I keep daily logs. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:10:38 PM EST
Three separate logs. Food input. Exercise. Weight. All exercise, all food/drink outside of water is logged. Weight every morning at same basic time. Since I started that, it's been pretty easy to keep things on a slowly headed downward path.

I plan on keeping that up once I hit my currently unknown target.

Addendum: by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:13:35 PM EST
All "planned" exercise is logged. Take the dogs for a walk, logged. Carry laptops upstairs at work, not logged.

Awesome. by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:25:59 PM EST
I really ought to log as extensively as you.

mini-rant: I've known enough people, like you, who have successfully found ways to lose weight that every time someone says "BUT MY GENETICS!!!!" or some such B.S. I want to smack them.

It's all just thermodynamics, and people don't wanna hear the painful truth: calories in / calories out.

the equation is a little more complex... by gzt (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:47:20 PM EST
...but, at the end of the day, yes. some people don't quite realize what factors determine "calories out" or even "calories in", but, no matter what your genetics, you can find a way to get it to work.

# of calories in your food: this is a very rough estimate even if you have exact portion size.
# of calories out: this is an extremely rough estimate for most activities, including sleeping, and your body can make pretty decent adjustments to compensate for things.

most people just lack the will and knowledge to get this stuff to work for them, and it's far more often the will that's lacking in the final analysis, since even stupid people can learn to push the plate away and get off their arse sometimes.

I'm not really a counter. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:53:13 PM EST
It's never exact enough to actually matter. But I can sure look back at the log and say, "yeah, OK, maybe I should have only had 1/4 of that pizza instead of half of it and ran for another twenty minutes instead of done that series of floor exercises that day." It really isn't rocket science.

also, even stupid people can learn to by nathan (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 06:36:59 PM EST

Bench, dead, squat, row, pullup, dip, overhead press.

indeed. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #32 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 09:45:11 PM EST
But fat loss is a lot more about "plate pushaways" than any other exercise, though the "plate pushaway" is only effective if you have some level of physical activity.

If only people would realize... by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #42 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 09:52:27 AM EST
it's a hell of a lot easier to not consume 100 calories than it is to burn those 100 calories off.

I blame grandmas. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #43 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 10:11:41 AM EST
How many times did you hear, "Clean your plate because (random blah blah blah) and starving children in Africa (blah blah blah) would love to have it." The precise mix of guilt and anger to make any kid crumble. I still get twinges when I know I'm not hungry and dare not keep eating but there's still food in front of me.

along with by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #52 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 02:36:00 PM EST
you look so skinny! here, eat some more!
---------
Oh lord. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #53 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 02:38:56 PM EST
Grandpa can be added to that list. "You need more meat and potatoes in your diet. You're gonna blow away in a light breeze."

Congrats! by technician (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 04:43:59 PM EST
It's like when you smoke. And you mention that you want to quit smoking. And everyone has a way to quit, but no one else's way is your way. Sure, the actual steps may be the same (just stop! or in the case of losing weight, eat less and exercise more!) but the ways of doing it are unique.

I'm glad you found something that works for you. That's awesome.

odd by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 06:44:52 PM EST
I started at that same weight too.  And this morning I weighed in at 249.8, which is so close to 60 pounds.  I too didn't 'see' the weight I was losing until I took a self portrait of myself on the observation deck on a bike trail 2 weeks ago.  Holy crap.

I have a goal though.  I need to find a damned belt that isn't defective and isn't 56 inches.

Click

I weigh more than you now. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 09:43:35 PM EST
Congratulations!

Belts. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 10:25:49 PM EST
I'm currently on the last original hole in the belt I bought a few weeks back that I could just barely squeeze into, and it's starting to feel loose.

Congrats on the loss. Feels good when you realize it, doesn't it?

I have a stretchy belt. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 10:43:12 PM EST
And I bought a new one and it catches in my loops.  I could buy smaller pants but a belts cheaper.

It does feel good.

Click

I need a stretchy belt. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #38 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 07:56:35 AM EST
One that has a bit more give than the hard leather monstrosity I'm currently wearing. That's an idea for my weekend shopping plans.

(Comment Deleted) by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 09:06:40 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by ammoniacal

Good stuff by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #37 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 07:56:11 AM EST

Iambic Web Certified

Top work, Chief. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #47 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 11:55:04 AM EST
Sentence of the article:
You have to want it for you.

Pretty much sums up the entire diary really.  And works for far more things than simply weight loss.

As we say around the office: TRUFE! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #50 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 12:55:00 PM EST
But try to convince one of the cult-like folks that they can want something enough to actually work on it without holding a group affirmation meeting of some kind and bleh.

Several other things have worked over the past couple years due to that saying. I seem to be on a roll lately.

Good Sir, by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #56 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 07:28:59 PM EST
May your roll keep rolling, with the extra opportunity of some serious RTFO in its path.