Print Story on some things
By clock (Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 10:37:26 AM EST) (all tags)
bits and pieces.

The AC in my car is acting up.  Works sometimes, fails sometimes.  In a Texas summer this is wholly unacceptable.  I got home last night after my usual run in with traffic and had soaked through my shirt.  This is not OK.  Back to the mechanic.  The other gripe about the car is the stereo.  I'm pretty sure that will be my birthday gift.  I need one that does the iPod mojo and doesn't sound like ass.  This purchase may be fast tracked in the even that my cassette adapter fails.  Yeah.  You heard that right.  Fuck.

We had a dinner fail this week.  I'm not talking about it.

The Dude is in swim lessons now.  It's one of those many times that I wish I could be the parent at home.  I feel like I miss a lot of stuff that I'd prefer not to miss.  But that's how it is.  And don't get me wrong, I know what it means to do that gig day in and day out.  It's not glamorous, but you do get to see some really cool stuff.  I dunno.  Anyway, he's in swim lessons and we're not sure if they're on the radar as a good or bad thing yet.  He goes to another one today.  Maybe it will be exciting at some point.

My mom is planning a visit.  She hasn't been down since February.  I miss her.  Need to call today and confirm with her what she's planning.  We're pretty laid back around our place, so whenever she shows up is all good.  Also, my brother will be in town at the end of this month.  That's also a good thing.  I miss him a lot.  We're going to have a good time.

A box from the luthier supply place showed up this week.  The last two weekends have been...well...uncomfortable for me because I don't have a project to work on with the boy around.  The whole "turning into my dad" thing is accelerating.  Next thing you know I'll be in bed by 8 and up at 4.  That's PM to AM kids.  This ain't college.

We're still not pregnant.  This isn't really a hassle or anything.  We're all good on that, but we realized that we've been at this for a year now.  We were totally spoiled by The Dude.  It's not that I mind being forced to get naked with a really hot chick, it's more that her cycle is, like, 40+ days and that makes the timing of things and the number of opportunities weird.  Personally, I am pursuing the "pro-active copulation" route so that we can be sure that in the event of ovulation, we're on it.  So far, she's pretty receptive.  So there's that.

I'm reading some essays by Wendell Berry.  Nice to see that a vocal minority is picking up on what he was laying down BACK IN THE FUCKING 70s!  Nice work Michael Pollan!  No cheap shots at Pollan, really.  He does the intro to this collection and acknowledges that he wasn't exactly the first one to have these thoughts.  The worst part is that Berry seems to have been right on just about everything.  Sadly, those things are all bad.  End of the world, etc.  Keep watching those RSS feeds for the announcement or text "OMG WE R FUCKED" to some number.

My new guitar sounds good.  Really good.  Not that you would know that because I haven't posted any mp3z yet.  This is because I suck.  It's not  you, it's me.  Me and my summer "issues."  But I am getting some things down with more to come soon.  I'll have a collection of my own stuff out really, really soon because I have to.  Then I can do some justice to my collaborations.  I have to get this pile of tunes off of my chest.

I'm prepping a review of Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom.  In two words: shit sandwich.  One of the worst games I have ever played.  According to one walk through we're on the penultimate boss and the entire level is luck.  It really is.  By this point in an RPG we should be gods and smiting some shit.  It should be tough to smite, but not impossible.  However, in this stage, there are magic lasers suspended from the ceiling that move randomly through the room and kill with one hit.  I appreciate a challenge, but it should be one that is survivable on more than pure luck.  We decided that it was no longer fun and quit.  As in, not going back.  There are so many things wrong with the game.  The two player campaign was clearly never tested.  There are beautifully rendered archways and chandeliers that COMPLETELY BLOCK THE FUCKING CAMERA IN THE TWO PLAYER CAMPAIGN.  On more than one occasion we were fighting completely blind because there was no way to move the camera to give a clear shot.  It was frustrating.  There was nothing compelling in this game at all.  We played along as far as we did because, well, we bought it.  Will there ever be a good RPG with two-player-on-the-couch mode again?  Hell, I would take a Diabolo II remake if we could do two player.  Why O Why must it be this way?

< Where's my kitchen trebuchet? | I'm not sure which of the reactions I prefer. >
on some things | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
i'm sorry by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 11:27:55 AM EST
it took us a year to get pregnant because of my irregular cycles, so I sort of know how you feel. It's a lot of wondering if it will ever happen. but at the same time, I also know your situation is a bit different from mine, so it's an entirely different type of suck.
---------
mine are long by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 11:45:30 AM EST
but at least they're regular.  i'm on cycle #7 for the last 12 months!

if you decide for beastie #2, I can't recommend "Take Charge of Your Fertility" enough, if you haven't read it.   Holy shit, why aren't we taught this stuff as teenagers?

next week i have to get my uterus inflated with saline so they can ultrasound it.  i'm not looking forward.

yeah, we want a second by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 12:27:13 PM EST
even given my terrible nausea early on, the pain of the 3rd trimester, and the hellish 25 hour labor, we're already thinking of another. we waited long enough for #1 that now we have to sort of play catchup before i get too old. not sure how long we're going to wait before attempting a second- at the moment i just want to keep breastfeeding as much as i can, and then maybe get some sleep to recharge.
---------
it's a great book by gzt (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Jun 14, 2010 at 02:03:17 PM EST
that is all

no projects?! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 11:43:18 AM EST
HELLO, THERE ARE LOTS OF PROJECTS FOR YOU TO WORK ON!

and stuff.

I should have been more specific by clock (4.00 / 3) #5 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 12:35:45 PM EST
what i meant to say was "projects that i am interested in pursuing."

HTH HAND YHAAR*

*You Have An Awesome Rack

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

+1, trolling the wife over the tubes by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 01:25:58 PM EST

you want new chairs, too by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 01:32:58 PM EST
it's the perfect Dude project!

true. true. by clock (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 01:47:40 PM EST
i should check with the lumber yard and see what some "good wood" goes for these days.  why must you always keep me on track?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

She's a BofH Sysadmin by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #12 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 02:14:18 PM EST
You're totally outgunned.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

give the man a break. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 06:30:57 PM EST
He was soaked THRU today in the heat from a crappy AC.  MY AC in the car hasn't worked in 2 years.  I feel this man's pain.

Click
Re: trouble getting pregnant by lolwhat (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 01:35:41 PM EST
Teh Wyfe and I have the opposite problem: Our two brats have been conceived on the first try AFAWCT. Since we don't want another kid (me: ever again, dammit!; her: for a few years), it kinda limits certain activities these days...

Teh Wyfe credits (in part) our 2-0 record to some system she follows whose name escapes me. It's something to do with tracking certain, erm, side effects of That Time of the Month, in rather more detail than I like to think about, then doing the horizontal boogie at a certain confluence of happenings. I'll see if I can dig up more info - if you dare.
If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.

yeah. by clock (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 01:46:50 PM EST
The Dude was knocked out of the park on the first swing.  we got comfortable with that idea.

and right now in my house there is the daily temperature ritual, charting, and data analysis that is ongoing.  we're down with the methods and whatnot.  and to be fair, we've not really had a ton of problems getting pregnant, it's staying pregnant that seems to present a minor problem.

sorry about the limited activities!  i'll try to make up for it for you!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Deep in her heart, Stacky probably loves by wiredog (4.00 / 5) #14 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 02:15:45 PM EST
the daily temperature ritual, charting, and data analysis. It's totally geeky.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Shut UP by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 5) #15 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 03:03:39 PM EST
I don't like being so easy to figure out.

I was thinking the same thing by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 06:28:34 PM EST
My GOD the data!

Click
So, here's why the Wendell Berry thing is funny... by atreides (4.00 / 2) #11 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 02:12:24 PM EST
So, as a condition of my marriage to Welsh Girl, her parents insisted we read this essay by Wendell Berry. Well, I didn't, because I couldn't believe they'd keep us from marrying over that (I haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird, either). Well, they didn't and we got married, but first chance that Welsh Dad came to Austin to marry someone else, he invited us to a wine and cheese event where the new bride and groom and Welsh Girl and I sat and read it together. After that, he considered our marriage official...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

that == awesome by clock (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jun 10, 2010 at 02:15:04 PM EST
A+

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

no, that == archaic by houser2112 (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 10:58:12 AM EST
Kinda like me having to "ask permission" of my future FiL to marry his 35-year-old daughter.  What is this, a Jane Austen novel?

nah. by clock (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 11:16:15 AM EST
I don't get that from the comment.  I get a guy who feels pretty strongly about a piece of wisdom and has a saucy sense of humor.  The kind of guy whose daughter atreides would marry.  And knowing Welsh Girl, I can totally see it.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Trying to get pregnant by lm (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 07:15:49 PM EST
For a forty day cycle, I think that means twice a day for the next 90 days.

Hope that helps.

And I feel you on the intermittent AC. I hope you have a cloth interior. My first ride had a black vinyl interior. If you're suck with that in the Texas summer, you've got it far worse than I've ever had.

Cicero, The Republic
agreed. by clock (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 09:29:54 PM EST
and i'm only stuck with it until my mechanic gets back from his vacation.  AC isn't optional down here.  ugh.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

That's serious dedication by lm (4.00 / 1) #22 Sat Jun 12, 2010 at 11:39:59 AM EST
Oh, wait, you're waiting for your mechanic to come back to work on your car.

Cicero, The Republic