Print Story YouTube FTW
Games
By TPD (Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 06:45:38 AM EST) (all tags)
I have now entered the digital age! W007!

It now houses a very short demo of the current state of play of my little hobby game, sound is separate track so oh so sopishticated boings and ouches are missing for your Aural pleasure

Tiebreak FTW: blank FTW

stuff and other stuff
< Sometimes I wonder | i enjoy working at a law firm >
YouTube FTW | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Nice! by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 07:25:30 AM EST
Suggestions:
Drop powerups for the player to pick up.

Suggestions:
  * Speed up
  * Jump higher / further
  * decrease rate or speed of falling blocks
  * ability to shoot blocks
  * shield
  * shoot blocks
  * nuke all currently falling blocks
  * jetpack

Powerdowns:
  * Mines - they do ten times damage than a simple block
  * Slowdown
  * Increase rate or speed of blocks falling
  * falling blocks double in width

Tie-Breaker:
T3P3D3 FTW!

yeah definitely on the cards next is some kind of by TPD (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 07:41:25 AM EST
falling mine or bomb, as well as a points power up (currently you just "score" by how high the wall builds), then I will just start adding powerups/downs willy nilly till it feels like a game :) (game design moi?!?.... I was originally going to make a bomb jack clone ;) )

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Oooh by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 09:21:02 AM EST
And a special powerup that means you have to collect the blocks rather than avoid them.  With the score going up with each block you collect.

It'd be fair if you gave some indication of when the special powerup was about to expire, though.

this looks cool! by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 09:10:38 AM EST
Which platform is this for?

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Currently it's just windows... by TPD (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 09:16:12 AM EST
though if I ever get round to actually finishing it, I might possibly port it to other platforms

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
That actually looks pretty good by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 09:16:49 AM EST
Question - the guy flashes red when a block hits him from the side, is this damage? How much can he take?

Is he also damaged if a block hits him on the head?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

How much can he take? by TPD (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 09:31:19 AM EST
yeah the red shows when he's getting injured, for test purposes 300 arbitary damage units... which equates to something like 3 seconds of collision depending on how fast the games ticking along... (later levels can tick faster).

Blocks injure until they start settling whether walking or falling

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Hard to tell by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 09:38:20 AM EST
But from watching and what you said, I think the difficulty level might be a bit high. How many times have you got to the top?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Level 5 by TPD (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 09:55:36 AM EST
which is what is shown is just about doable (though not every time)...  and is currently the last level before it cycles only sped up

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
By that you mean 5 rows of blocks? by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 10:25:22 AM EST
I'd suggest being able to get to the top of the screen (better feeling of reward) before it cycles, and making it a bit easier to do so. Should get harder with each cycle though.

But hey, I haven't played it so can't really say...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

It's not quite like that by TPD (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 10:37:34 AM EST
each level is linked to one of my MFC songs right now and very loosely the background matches the song.... (which means you wan't to die on any level that contains singing), and it moves onto the next level when the songs over or it reaches a set height of blocks. When the things a little more playable there are a couple of funnies I'd like to smooth out, I will post a link if anyone fancies play testing, when I next find some time to work on it.

Though the art music and errr gameplay is still very much liable to change.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Aha! by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 10:40:02 AM EST
I was watching with no volume! Makes perfect sense now.

> which means you want to die on any level that contains singing

Lol :)

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I'd be happy by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 10:49:45 AM EST
To do some play testing if you like.

definitely by TPD (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 11:27:29 AM EST
when the show stoppers are ironed out and it vaguely works as a game it'll be winging it's way.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Oooh by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 06:44:44 AM EST
And powerups should restore health, too.

This would be cool by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 11:07:49 AM EST
on an iPhone/iTouch using the accelerometer.
a N900 port would be more likely by TPD (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 11:26:15 AM EST
just cause I have that ;)

well actually that and I think if you see how hard Mr CM_UK is having to shout to get what looks to be a fantastic game even looked at, I think it would be dispiriting to even try.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM